• Unrated, 1 hr. 40 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

Critic's Choice Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
The story is unoriginal, but it has a good cast, and it has some funny moments. Overall it's just okay.
Sarah P

September 13, 2009
I didn't really care for this. I probably wouldn't watch again.
Anthony V

October 31, 2008
Mostly a series of cameos. A few sporadic laughs. Worth watching for fans of Hope and Ball, others might be bored.
jam233
February 15, 2010
This comedy is a bit strained, and the screenplay just doesn't quite work, it comes off as very rehearsed and not very natural. Bob Hope and Lucille Ball always seem like they are reading their lines, not acting. They still do try, it's not them, it's the script. Nicely produced.
JoeMustChangeName
January 18, 2014
Worth watching just to see 1963 fashion, decore , hairstyles , womans makeup, motor cars, a road trip back in time
October 28, 2013
i was a bit disappointed in this movie, and initially i expected it to be from a slightly earlier era. early-lucille ball moves are awesome, and she is stunning, and quite a good actress

this movie had a fairly thin plot, but what was most distracting was that lucy clearly was pregnant during filming, although an early scene at home with hope, her and the son, had them discussing why lucy still hadn't gotten pregnant (competition between 'angie' & 'ivy'). in that very scene, it was clear that lucy was wearing early-60's early-term maternity clothes. and for the next couple of scenes, but then suddenly, she's in a sleek dress .... later on she's clearly further advanced and clearly in maternity clothes (all the other women around her are in stylish, fitted dresses with tiny fitted jackets, but she's wearing a huge, swingy maternity ensemble.

maybe if the plot had been more intriguing or maybe if one or both of hope/ball had not phoned it in, lucy's maternal status would not have felt so prominent.
VolleySF
July 1, 2007
[size=2]This movie is not going to knock anyone?s socks off. I was enjoyable for the most part. A light comedy that was first a Broadway Show that made it to the big screen.

You can tell it was most likely very good on the Broadway Stage, but it just missed a little for me.

One thing that sticks in my mind is Parker Ballentine (Bob Hope) has a son John from a previous marriage. Early in the movie at breakfast he (the son John) says to Angela Ballentine (Lucille Ball) The reason you can?t have any children is psychosomatic. His friend told him that because, well his father already had a child John is proof of that and Angela well she has wide hips so there is no visible reason she could not have children. That Angela is just afraid that she and his father would not produce as good looking child as John since his mother is an actress and very beautiful. Where Angela is just a housewife and not all that good looking.

This seemed like a lot to come from a child that looked about to be eight or ten years of age. Throughout the movie Parker his father, Angela his step mother and I can?t remember his mother?s name never really acted much like a parent. When his mother does show up in the movie you think who is this person and how could a mother care so little for her child?

Oh well if I was to make this movie at the time I think the part of John could had worked much better as just a neighbor played by Tony Randell. He could had said most of the same lines and they would not had felt that out of place.

So it was an enjoyable movie but nothing groundbreaking. If you like Bob Hope or Lucille Ball you will find the movie entertaining and well that is what you want a movie to be right.

NOTE: You can find this movie on DVD and in a box set of Lucille Ball Movies called ?Lucille Ball Film Collection?.

[/size]