Cruel World Reviews

August 9, 2010
The formula for Horror is very simple. Outrageous characters, creepy music, blood, and lots of beautiful people, but Cruel World is one of those rare Horror films that actually has a story worth telling. After being scorned on a reality dating show, Philip Markham (Edward Furlong) has decided to create his own show. A fear factor type competition with a one million dollar reward. The only problem is when you lose the game, you lose your life, a stipulation the contestants weren't previously aware of. This was a fun film for me, because not only is it original, but it has a cast full of seldom seen 90s teen idols. My regular readers know by now that I consider Edward Furlong to be one of the hardest working, most under appreciated actors in all of Hollywood, but to be honest, he wasn't anything special in this film. Furlong's character is one of those evil geniuses that really seems to be all bark and no bite. The true stars of this film are the lesser known contestants like, Andrew Keegan and Sanoe Lake. The contestants are all oblivious and watching them trying to figure things out under the guise of winning a competition was really clever. The contestants and the competitions are really what helps to distinguish this film from all the other slash films. While including the four elements, and finding a lot of reasons for the pretty people to take their cloths off, there is actually a better than average story here and an experienced cast. The combination of the two make this film much more entertaining than the slasher films you've become accustom to. While I was disappointed in the fact that Edward Furlong couldn't carry this film in the way I've become accustom to seeing, there were still plenty of great performances and exciting moments. If you're a big Horror fan like I am, and you're looking for something a little bit different, give Cruel World a try.
June 16, 2011
Not that much of a good movie...It was very boring and slow-paced with very little action to it. It could've had a better ending, too.
½ June 20, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
roseypie
December 24, 2008
Lol. I can't even find the right words to describe how bad this movie is. The only good thing about it probably is the recognizable cast. And Edward Furlong...I didn't think he'd grow up to look this way but age certainly did not become him. Everything was just all over the place.
August 18, 2011
Of all the films of this type, the mock reality TV show slasher, this one was suprisingly decent. The character of Philip is a little inconsistent as a killer, but for the most part Edward Furlong's acting ability masks that. The only part that didn't make any sense was why Philip was starving his cast. It's mentioned like it is going to be a major plot point, but then dropped later, with only passing mentions of the characters being hungry. Although, for people who should be weak with hunger, they have an amazing amount of energy.
½ November 7, 2010
Hilaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarious. Words can't comprehend how much I laughed. Anyway, this movie is about a ''reality show'' for one million dollars - with a twist. You lose, you die. That's pretty much it. The plot revolves around that silly stuff. It was epic, though, with a ton of stupidity. I guess it was definitely entertaining, but overall a pretty bad movie..Though, I have to say, Ed Furlong is good at portraying himself as a total nutcase. And props to the girl who pissed in self-defense while in a tree. Amazing.
½ July 27, 2008
With all of the twisted reality tv around it's only a matter of time before somebody snaps. Well, Edward Furlong snaps very well, as depicted in this film. It is enjoyable and all of the actors are fine. I was very annoyed that the two best looking and interesting girls were killed first. Sanoe Lake, (Blue Crush) & Aimee Garcia. However, they do keep Nicole Bilderback for a while and she has a cool martial arts scene. As dark as the story was, I sensed that the cast had a blast and it comes across well. It still becomes a hack and slasher movie, but they do it well.
June 22, 2008
I thought this movie was very interesting with the whole "reality t.v." angle. A pretty good "B" type movie with some very recognizable faces.
½ March 11, 2009
This movie was terrible. The only redeeming quality is the schadenfreude you experience after tricking a friend into watching it.
½ December 11, 2013
While certainly entertaining in parts, the poor concept & over-acting brings it down and it ends up being a bit of a mess.
½ April 28, 2013
76%

Maybe if something like this happened in the real world, "reality" shows would get the axe. We can only pray.
April 1, 2013
a new perspective on horror, nothing groundbreaking, but it's so bad, it's kind of laughable, and furlong is so over the top he keeps you laughing and watching. A watchable affair for a C-Movie
½ January 2, 2013
Most definitely one of the worst pieces of schlock ever filmed. I think it was supposed to be a satiric take on reality TV, but with the horrible script, terrible acting, enormous plot holes, and awful execution, it is impossible to know for sure. Which is actually a shame because the concept is quite good and has a lot of potential.
½ June 21, 2012
Interesting plot but boring characters. It's not too entertaining although it's a decent watch yet the ending is lacking. Some really slow bits but not a horrible slasher flick.
½ June 8, 2012
Not very frightening but I was entertained and that's the only thing that really counts.
½ April 25, 2012
what a godawful piece of shit...It's amazing Edward Furlong even has a career.
July 30, 2011
A group of college students are brought up to an isolated mansion thinking they're in a game show to win a million dollars. They soon learn that the show isn't what it seems.

I hate to admit it, but this film was actually a watchable and original slice to the horror genre. It's compelling and intriguing storyline, aswell as the cover made me buy this flick, and it had some very cool scenes and added humour was a nice touch. The opening sequence is great, and throughout the film there are little inconvieniences, but it doesn't stop the film from keeping you watching and entertained. Whilst towards the end it got a little out of hand, the original concept was refreshing to see.

The plot is simple, but also very unrealistic. The fact that the person behind the whole thing just walks around the house when he thinks the students aren't watching was just ridiculous, and the fact that the police did nothing to help everytime the came to the house was silly, but the overall film kept stable enough for me to still enjoy it. The audience gets to meet each character (like in a reality show where they introduce themselves, a great way to introduce characters), and with a few developing scenes where we ultimately get to decide who we like, and don't like.

The acting was average. With any low-budget flick, the actors aren't gonna be the best of the best, but it was good to see some familiar faces. It's no surprise that they headlined everything to do with this film stating Jaime Pressly was in the leading role, but i'm not gonna die. She's in it for 5 minutes. Laura Ramsey is a horror usual. Edward Furlong was great as sadistic killer, and I was surprised to see Mean Girls star Daniel Franzese playing someone sadistic too. The overall acting wasn't horrible, but it was nothing to boast about either.

Overall "Cruel World" has some great scenes, and is creative and original, and will keep the viewer interested. My rating is 3/5.
½ June 22, 2011
First twenty minutes aren't bad but after that forget this movie
June 16, 2011
July 14, 2010
This film, Cruel Worls, First Edward Furlong, Hot and Funny. Second, great story Line and unusual deaths. Third, HELLO, T.V mixed with slasher, GENIOUS!!!Great movie that will keep you guess, and genious ending, and a great job with the script/acting.
Bad things, deaths are kinda easy to predict in some ways,second, partialy comedy, not really good for a slasher (but is enjoyable.
Overall I give it 8*S/10 (8 stars out of 10)