The Cruise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cruise Reviews

January 22, 2015
A very fascinating documentary on a very interesting figure. Bennett Miller's directorial debut is a match to his great work he has done with his narrative films letting this subject really breath and take control of his story. On the back of the DVD box a critic is quoted comparing the man to Woody Allen in terms of looks and his rich dialogue he spews in a rapid pace. He is just so interesting that you'll want him to personally give you a tour of NYC.
½ December 17, 2011
I could've watched an entire movie on the beautiful Cinematography or Speed giving Bus Tours or even getting to know him. But The Cruise combines all 3 elements to make a stand out documentary. You start off entertained by Speed then by the end i was relating to him and wishing him the best. Bennett Miller needs to make more films cause i'm a fan!!
½ May 3, 2010
I understand that there is more involved in the making of this documentary other than just turning on the camera and pointing it towards Tim Levich; it just doesn't feel that way. So high praise goes towards the director and editor for making it feel like you're just hanging out with Speed. I was lucky enough to take a walking tour with Levich at a film festival in Charlottesville, VA so I actually speak from experience. I guess it helps if you find Levich facinating, which I do. He's very bright and his enthusiasm (for just about everything) makes any topic interesting. If you're ever at a party in which Speed Levitch is in attendance, find a seat near him and just listen.
April 13, 2010
Documentary with New York City tour guide Tim Levich. I watched this because it was on an interview with actor Edward Norton's, and this was among his 5 favorite films. I liked his other 4, so thought I would give it a try. It was interesting, I can't say I loved it though. Tim Levich is as fascinating as he is informative as he is irritating. Wonderful footage of New York, and even though I have lived there in the past, I still learned new things. Not for all tastes, but admire the effort.
April 13, 2010
65/100. Documentary with New York City tour guide Tim Levich. I watched this because it was on RT interview with Edward Norton's 5 favorite films. I liked his other 4, so thought I would give it a try. It was interesting, I can't say I loved it though. Tim Levich is as fascinating as he is informative as he is irritating. Wonderful footage of New York, and even though I have lived there in the past, I still learned new things. Not for all tastes, but admire the effort.
October 25, 2009
Bizarrely wonderful personality. A master of storytelling who synthesizes with the city he lives in so well.
½ July 5, 2008
July 22, 2008
Okay, I guess I'll watch.

Less of a documentary about New York (which I was expecting), and more of a fascinating character study of a weird, articulate eccentric tour guide who can make Chatsworth sound dynamic.

Timothy Lavitch doesn't love New York City like a 3 year old loves his mommy. He loves New York City like a giant organism, a human being. He wants the city to appreciate HIS beauty as much as the other way around. Along the tour he tells stories at rapid fire rate and provides his own crazy philosophy on life. Or maybe it's us who's crazy. Good documentary.
½ December 27, 2007
I think it would get tiring having to look for the poetic meaning of everything in life all day long.
November 19, 2004
Great feel for NYC. Enjoyed this film to the extreme. I liked the grainy texture of the film, the realness of Speed.
½ February 26, 2004
Take a wild ride through the street of New York city with a counter culture maniac. It?s a wake up call from a guide that reminds me of a homeless man with two dogs that used to live on my porch in college. Funny, witty, and surprisingly right-on.
January 22, 2015
December 2, 2014
Loads of energy and always captivating in some puzzling way, "The Cruise" shows a pre-"Capote" Bennett Miller exploring a man not made for his time and place, a theme he would go on to explore later in his career with three astonishing dramatic movies.
April 16, 2012
If you want to see something very different and very, very good, watch this movie. Documents the eccentric personality of a rebellious, free-spirited New York City tour guide, Tim "Speed" Levitch, who hopes to demonstrate to his clients that he is, "thrilled to be alive". A sincere portrait of a young person questioning things and trying to create his own unique identity. And unlike the formulaic movies we are used to, this one just lets you observe a real person and let's you draw your own conclusions.
January 22, 2011
One-of-a-kind personality in Speed Levitch as he takes us on a unique tour of NY.
February 16, 2012
This goes to show that a really interesting subject can make a documentary all by itself. It almost doesn't matter that there's no real point to the film other than to showcase Speed Levitch's bizarre and delusional view of reality. You are both captivated and repulsed by his rantings, and you find that there's little short of genius in everything he spouts, whether on the Gray Line tour buses or while standing in the shadow of, or on the Brooklyn Bridge.
½ December 17, 2011
August 18, 2011
What a character. Such poetry and Cadiz moments though; I've never seen anything like this.
½ April 20, 2011
Great documentary with some of the better ramblings in a movie that I've seen thus far.