The Cruise Reviews

April 13, 2010
Documentary with New York City tour guide Tim Levich. I watched this because it was on an interview with actor Edward Norton's, and this was among his 5 favorite films. I liked his other 4, so thought I would give it a try. It was interesting, I can't say I loved it though. Tim Levich is as fascinating as he is informative as he is irritating. Wonderful footage of New York, and even though I have lived there in the past, I still learned new things. Not for all tastes, but admire the effort.
January 22, 2015
A very fascinating documentary on a very interesting figure. Bennett Miller's directorial debut is a match to his great work he has done with his narrative films letting this subject really breath and take control of his story. On the back of the DVD box a critic is quoted comparing the man to Woody Allen in terms of looks and his rich dialogue he spews in a rapid pace. He is just so interesting that you'll want him to personally give you a tour of NYC.
December 2, 2014
Loads of energy and always captivating in some puzzling way, "The Cruise" shows a pre-"Capote" Bennett Miller exploring a man not made for his time and place, a theme he would go on to explore later in his career with three astonishing dramatic movies.
April 16, 2012
If you want to see something very different and very, very good, watch this movie. Documents the eccentric personality of a rebellious, free-spirited New York City tour guide, Tim "Speed" Levitch, who hopes to demonstrate to his clients that he is, "thrilled to be alive". A sincere portrait of a young person questioning things and trying to create his own unique identity. And unlike the formulaic movies we are used to, this one just lets you observe a real person and let's you draw your own conclusions.
January 22, 2011
One-of-a-kind personality in Speed Levitch as he takes us on a unique tour of NY.
½ December 31, 2010
"When she says to me, after my statement, 'Everyone likes The Grid Plan,' isn't she automatically excluding myself from 'everyone'?" - Timothy "Speed" Levitch
½ October 14, 2010
A great, if nothing else, Character Study. Loved this movie. Its on netflix instant too. This gave me the much needed motivation I needed to get through a long friday.
September 29, 2010
mentioned this not long ago... GREAT documentary... like I said... I never loved NYC... but I did after watching this. A wild philosophical ride...
½ June 10, 2010
A great documentary about a not all-together, but undeniably interesting man.
½ May 3, 2010
I understand that there is more involved in the making of this documentary other than just turning on the camera and pointing it towards Tim Levich; it just doesn't feel that way. So high praise goes towards the director and editor for making it feel like you're just hanging out with Speed. I was lucky enough to take a walking tour with Levich at a film festival in Charlottesville, VA so I actually speak from experience. I guess it helps if you find Levich facinating, which I do. He's very bright and his enthusiasm (for just about everything) makes any topic interesting. If you're ever at a party in which Speed Levitch is in attendance, find a seat near him and just listen.
April 13, 2010
65/100. Documentary with New York City tour guide Tim Levich. I watched this because it was on RT interview with Edward Norton's 5 favorite films. I liked his other 4, so thought I would give it a try. It was interesting, I can't say I loved it though. Tim Levich is as fascinating as he is informative as he is irritating. Wonderful footage of New York, and even though I have lived there in the past, I still learned new things. Not for all tastes, but admire the effort.
November 19, 2004
Great feel for NYC. Enjoyed this film to the extreme. I liked the grainy texture of the film, the realness of Speed.
½ February 26, 2004
Take a wild ride through the street of New York city with a counter culture maniac. It?s a wake up call from a guide that reminds me of a homeless man with two dogs that used to live on my porch in college. Funny, witty, and surprisingly right-on.