Crystal Fairy Reviews

blkbomb
July 9, 2013
Crystal Fairy & The Magical Cactus & 2012 is about a trip to a trip on mescaline. Jamie is an American who is with his friend in Chile. They plan on finding a San Pedro cactus and taking to the beach where they will cook and drink it. At a party, the night before leaving, Jamie does a lot of cocaine and invites a hippy to come along with them. He completely forgets this the next day and is surprised when she calls him to meet up with them.

Jaime's character is irritating, annoying, and just plain selfish. Because of his hastiness to get where they're going and to do mescaline, he misses the trip within the trip.

My big problem with Crystal Fairy is that of a lot movies that try to deal with the hallucinogenic drug awakening. It just doesn't seem like it can be done on film in way that actually gives justice to substances like mescaline and LSD, and how they trigger critical thinking and change your consciousness. This seems to just be a limit that film can't pass. Overall though, Crystal Fairy is a decent film, if you have the patience necessary for the road trip and for Jamie's character in general. He's the type of person that needs a great deal of understanding and patience from the audience.
December 11, 2013
Sometimes I amaze myself at the movies I will sit through because it gets nominated for awards. This movie was up for some Spirit awards(actress, and a few others), it stars Michael Cera, so I figured Why Not? It's about a group traveling through Chile to get a drug out of a cactus to get high, then they have a bunch of drama amongst themselves on a beach. It has a few funny moments, but overall it's boring, incoherent, and just not very good or entertaining. I like Michael Cera, but this is one of his movies that is just dumb(kind of like how "Paper Heart" was dumb). The hippie girl he picks up played by Gaby Hoffman is good, but nowhere near deserving of any award nomination on any planet. This is weird, and a big time wasting movie(another gem I watched off of Netflix). Of course, I should be surprised that a movie called "Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus" is bad. Don't bother at all with this, unless you're on the drugs they are searching for.
YodaMasterJedi
August 31, 2013
four stars...
366weirdmovies
August 21, 2013
Uptight drug tourist Jamie (a shaggy Micheal Cera) has spent months planning a night of tripping on a hallucinogenic cactus with his Chilean hosts, but is annoyed when a free-spirited hippy chick named Crystal Fairy (an unshaven Gaby Hoffman) tags along with her own ideas about how to conduct the ceremony. There aren't too many surprises in this manic-fairy-trip-girl drama, but it's notable for the acting, and because it covers a unique psychedelic subculture that rarely makes it into the movies.
Harlequin68
½ August 5, 2013
On his drug odyssey in Chile, Jamie(Michael Cera) stops off first for a little cocaine at a party. While there, he invites Crystal Fairy(Gaby Hoffmann), a fellow American, on a trip north to drink from a fabled cactus that he is taking with three brothers(Juan Andres, Jose Miguel & Agustin Silva). However, in the clarity of a hangover the following morning, he has second thoughts about his invitation once he realizes she is the kind of person he would avoid on the subway. But the brothers overrule him, feeling she is mostly harmless.

"Crystal Fairy" is an engaging and insightful road movie about perception and how you don't need drugs to change how you see the world; just open your eyes, relax and enjoy the scenery. That first comes into play when Jamie cooks for Botota(Esteban Carreno) and Hanna(Juan Carlos Lara II) after the party. Later, Jamie, who at first is the viewer's eyes into this world, eventually becomes uptight and then controlling. All of which makes one wonder whether or not one can be addicted to a drug without having ever taken it.(Discuss.) By contrast, while at first Crystal might seem annoying and easy to make fun of, she gradually becomes much more sympathetic as the characters and audience get to know her better.
PantaOz
December 1, 2013
Have you seen any Chilean movies recently with Michael Cera? Here is one! Written and directed by Sebastián Silva, the full movie title as on the screen is "Crystal Fairy & The Magical Cactus and 2012". Of course, it premiered at the Sundance festival and Silva there said that his movie, which is based on a real-life encounter, is "about the birth of compassion in someone's life." It could be described like that, but as we know it is not the final destination which is important, it is the way someone arrives to it. And during this travel, most of the young men and one young woman arrived through dope, cocaine or even mescaline!

The story of Jamie traveling in Chile, and attending the local party is so under the influence of cocaine that he couldn't even remember that he invited an eccentric woman to join his group's quest to score a fabled hallucinogen, a move that finds him at odds with his new companion, until they drink the magic brew on a beach at the edge of the desert. The words come together.

I didn't get too excited even with the naked appearance and the unshaved part, most of the time it was just smooth sailing with a very low blow... I understand the director's approach and that Michael Cera was in Chile a week in Santiago in pre-production living together at Sebastián's parents' house-where he had filmed The Maid in 2009. The boys would sit out back playing guitar and singing songs. Gaby Hoffmann, (as Crystal Fairy, a radical spirit) recalls hearing the music steaming through the open doors while Sebastián and Hoffmann would sit at a desk where she created all Crystal Fairy's drawings in the sketchbook she has in the movie.

The titular character is based on a real person who was an influence on the director. The script was an outline with every scene including a moment that leads the actors to the next place. They didn't do any rehearsals in character, but since the boys had already been living together when Hoffmann arrived, her character's role as the outsider was easier to slip into. While shooting the scene of Crystal Fairy tripping, Hoffmann was too. "...I just knew it would be okay. My dose was weak, so I had to take a second one even though it was so revolting, but I really loved it. I was totally present in the experience of the making of the movie, and I felt like it was subtle enough that I could step in and out of it," Hoffmann said. "I never felt like, 'Oh my God, I'm tripping and I have to make a movie.' I felt like I could totally step out of it and be like, 'Okay, Sebastián, what's going on? What do we need to do?' And then I could step back into it and just go with it. And, you know, there's like hours and hours of footage that you don't see because it was like a 10-hour trip and we were in that desert the whole time. It was great, but it was subtle."

You heard the explanation, watch the movie, and that is exactly what are you going to see: someone tripping for a long time, and we are watching and paying!
½ December 22, 2013
Oh Michael Cera. How you have become the oddity of acting of our age group since Super Bad. The movie itself was average. Most critics really were high on this at some of the film festivals, but I found it a tad difficult to sit through when the main premise of the movie was to get high on mescaline. Cera puts in one of the most irritable performances I can remember while watching a movie. There were times when you just feel like choking him. I haven't seen too much of Gaby Hoffman, but I think after this film I've certainly seen more than enough. A bold performance for sure to bare it all for such a long period of filming. The Spanish speaking actors were pretty average. I was actually disappointed the drug trip didn't really blow me away for the second half of the movie. I was expecting a little more and it came up a little short. Usually when you watch movies about taking drugs you at least expect to live vicariously through the actors, but I felt more like one of the characters who didn't take the drug just watching everyone from the outside.
October 6, 2014
Hoffman and Cera give a good performances in this, but a good performance in a pile of rubbish movie doesn't make it okay.
½ March 24, 2014
Really enjoyed how this film played with the viewer's expectations- toward race, travel, drugs, interpersonal interactions, and then just the tropes one would expect to find during certain types of scenes. it lost a half star for me due to Michael Cera's over-the-top portrayal of douchebaggery, as well as the female lead's occasionally overblown monologues of hippiedom, which felt out of place among otherwise genuine characters.
½ October 26, 2013
A movie in which little happens and you are forced to spend an hour and a half with two very obnoxious people. And yet, Crystal Fairy, as its depth slowly reveals itself, proves to be a fairly thought provoking journey
½ July 19, 2013
What a weird-ass movie "Crystal Fairy" (or "Crystal Fairy & The Magical Cactus and 2012", if you're nasty) is. Say what you will, but it stays true to the funky-ass chick at its heart, the titular (in more ways than one) character played to hippie perfection by Gaby Hoffman. You never know what she's gonna do next, be it fight a bunch of middle-aged women in a town square, grope a desert plant or worship the carcass of a rabbit. She's not "Crystal Fairy's" only weapon -- Michael Cera is as much the film's protagonist as anyone. And what a character Jaime is, one that Cera plays like some kind of miserly asshole wild card.

And yet the real success of writer-director Sebastian Silva's Chilean road trip to acid trip "comedy" is, well, first of all, you can't stick it to a single label. It's all over the place. That could be a complaint. One late third-act reveal especially is more of a shrug than anything else. Okay. "Crystal Fairy" nonetheless really surprised me. Because for a drug movie it never takes the form of fairy logic and drops the ball by externalizing a high as akin to something anyone across the board can understand. "Crystal Fairy" isn't bug-fuck nuts, and not a whole lot happens, but if I absolutely had to strip it down to its basics I'd sell it as an art house frolic through a land of beaches and narcotics that has more in common with Henry Miller and Jim Jarmusch than Jodorowsky or a Road Runner cartoon. It's got its sentiment and pretensions in all the right places. (77/100)
½ December 9, 2013
A fun and wacky adventure that's really is a character study on the faux intellectual/hipster community that Michael Cera represents.

The Good: Gaby Hoffman - I hadn't seen this actress in a while, though I'd always enjoyed her in her childhood roles. Crystal Fairy exposes her talent, as she is the driving force behind the film. She does great as being both the manic pixie hippie girl, but also gets incredibly vulnerable towards the film's conclusion. She made a real character out of something that could have just been a characterization.

Michael Cera - Another actor who transformed himself for this role. Being known usually as a quiet introverted type, Cera became an "in your face", sophomoric intellectual who is just looking for his next high. He's willing to manipulate anyone to get what he wants, but his character arc seems completely realistic, thanks to some great character moments by Cera.

Sebastian Silva - The director of Crystal Fairy has a strong sense of what he wants to accomplish. Crystal Fairy could have simply been a rehash of other desert, drug movies, but thanks to Silva it's about much more than that. By limiting the drug-induced hallucination scenes to the end of the film, Silva allows us to connect with the characters on an emotional level.

The Bad: Drug Sequences - Honestly, they're just kind of boring. Sure there's some exposition in them, but that could have happened anywhere else. I'm glad that he didn't go over the top with them, but they were just dull.

The Smugly: Third Act - Besides the actual final two scenes in the film, the whole third act just fell flat for me. It wasn't so bad that I would mark it against the film, but it's where everything was weakest. It felt like we were just retreading old ground, until the film's actual conclusion.
September 3, 2013
Crystal Fairy is... a wtf movie. But it's a loveable wtf movie. It's a wtf movie that is emtional, well-acted, and funny. Good job guys.
½ September 2, 2013
A hit at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, Crystal Fairy stars Michael Cera (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) as an uptight American drug-partaking lout backpacking parts of Chile with three friends (whom are native Chileans) in search of a rare cactus -- the San Pedro -- in hopes of experiencing its hallucinogenic effects on a northern beach. At a random party before their trek is set to begin, a coked-out Jamie (Cera) spontaneously invites another American party-er to partake with them. She (Gaby Hoffman - remember the little girl from Field of Dreams and Sleepless in Seattle?) is a hairy (uh ... yep) free-spirit who channels the vibes of nature and goes by the name Crystal Fairy. Jamie and Crystal have conflicting personalities and they clash many times before the party even comes across the cactus to imbibe as he is boorish and insensitive and she is unique and a deep-thinker. Jamie becomes increasingly annoyed with Crystal while his three Chilean friends tolerate her much better and actually respect her point of view and sensibility. And while this journey is complicated, the real "adventure" begins on the beach and they make their drinkable concoction. The film becomes one about personal and inner understanding, acceptance and compassion. The first half comes across as rather annoying as Jamie's character is very self-centered and not too-likeable and while I believed the drug-induced portion of the film would be the hardest part to endure ... I was wrong as this is when the true characters of each are actually revealed. This is a good little, independent film ... but it isn't one for everybody. It takes some patience and those who dislike grainy picture and plot-lite storylines won't appreciate or enjoy this. It is only those patient enough to make it to the end of this film and willing to take the entire trip who will be rewarded with the film's high.
July 18, 2013
This Is The End isn't the only film featuring Michael Cera as a sexually degenerate coke fiend. There's also Crystal Fairy, filled with deadpan laughs, which has Cera starring as Jamie, a sexually degenerate coke fiend road tripping in Chile. Roaming the Atacama desert, Jamie is looking to find the infamous San Pedro cactus, a source of some sort of mega-mescaline that will bring on some kick ass hallucinations. It's quite something that he's even on this journey since he's incredibly anal and a narcissistic jerk who annoys all of his traveling companions. Cera, still a terrific actor and comic force (see the Arrested Development revival), never misses a beat. Jamie is Cera's most unlikable character yet, yet we still are drawn to him because Cera never plays him as if he should be liked. It's his best performance yet.

The movie is also some kind of wonderful, the bizarre project of Chilean writer-director Sebastian Silva, he of the powerful drama The Maid (seriously see it!). Silva is likely working out some issues of his own. The plot is basically three locals joining Jamie on his journey, all played by the filmmaker's brothers, Juan Andres Silva, Jose Miguel Silva and Agustin Silva. Just before the make way for the desert Jamie meets American hippy girl Crystal Fairy at a party in Santiago, and as played by Gabby Hoffman, best known for her childhood role in Sleepless In Seattle, she's outstanding, full of combustible energy and wit. She and Cera are a superb odd couple.

And they get to you, just like the film. Silva doesn't push things, his film's dramatic and comic points come organically, like in the scene where the sought-after cactus is cooked and Crystal goes nuts wearing only her shoes. Just let this film wash over you, the surprises will throw you for a loop. Silva's is a film devoid of Hollywood trickery. It'll have you high and great storytelling again.
½ June 20, 2013
Hard to watch in parts because Michael Ceras character is suck a dickhead, you start to feel sorry for Crystal. Enjoyable. Gaby Hoffmann is great.
½ March 7, 2015
I wanted to punch Michael Cera the entire time....
December 17, 2014
Really weird, hypnotic, psychedelic and sometimes uncomfortable comedy that you shouldn't miss if you like freewheeling films. It's really effective because it makes you feel kinda druggy,. The characters and the performances are great, and they are one of the things that make the movie work. I personally love Michael Cera's character, he is kinda of a selfish asshole, that has a crazy obsession with trying "San Pedro", but as the movie moves, you can see a change in him, specifically in the emotional ending.
½ January 19, 2014
Gosh this was disappointing. Yes, I am a fan of Michael Cera, I think he is a fantastic actor with huge potential. I am sure he had a lot of fun filming this and that is all the film has to it's credit really. Michael Cera's character is so appallingly obnoxious and yet neither he nor any of the characters actually learn or change throughout the film. I don't think that this was the point (which might grudgingly give it some credos) we were led to believe that he rued his ways and wanted to change. Sebastian Silva ended The Maid in the same odd way as this film - his stories build and build until a seemingly inevitable twist or confrontation that then doesn't happen. Both films seemed to end in the middle of a sentence, leaving me with a feeling similar to someone just walking out the room nonchalantly in the middle of an argument. It makes me imagine Silva smirking and gong Ahhhh and in return I say no, not ahh, that wasn't profound that was just crap and an awful let down for your viewers.
March 9, 2014
I sorta liked this charming movie about two Americans and their Chilean companions on a pilgrimage to get stoned on the beach. Michael Cera has a real future in playing assholes because his portrayal of a completely self-absorbed libertine is totally convincing.