Curtains Reviews

½ August 30, 2013
A thriller and a slasher horror movie. I enjoyed it. There are some really creepy scenes, and strange things that happen to confuse you about the killer. It's not a really great movie, but it's good for a lesser known slasher flick.
thefog1331
½ March 22, 2009
Wildly uneven 80's slasher with huge gaps in both logic and plot.
The mask and the toilet scene however are to be commended.
July 24, 2007
A superb 80's Canadian horror movie! It begins with a famous but insane movie director Jonathan Stryker (John Vernon) locking his lovely actress wife in a mental hospital with the understanding she's studying for the role of a mad-woman; but he doesn't let her be released!

Years later, John Stryker holds a very special audition event at his secluded country estate, by invitation only, to six beautiful actresses, for the role which his now-insane wife was to play.

Each of the girls are killed one by one by a frightening killer wearing the mask of an old woman. My favorite scene was on the outdoor ice rink, with one of the girls skating to Burton Cummings' song and savagely slashed by the freaky killer. I liked all the imagery with the dolls they used. Underrated horror film. I hope it comes to region 1 DVD soon.
John2223
½ October 5, 2008
Decent film with a somewhat cool killer, atmosphere, music, and the storyline that make it worth watching. .
½ July 17, 2013
A little slow and boring at times but there are some creeps with the mask and the doll. The video box terrified me as a kid.
March 7, 2008
A very cool horror film from 1983, a very cool and bloody plot about a person trying to get a part in a movie and murder goes on and people are getting killed off one by one. I loved this film when I first saw it on HBO back in 1983 and still love it.
½ January 1, 2008
Curtains is a fun 80s slasher, but it's better than most. The mask is creepy, the ice skating scene is great, and the twist was unexpected. Much better than I expected.
March 4, 2015
Lo mejor de Curtains es sin duda su poster...y a partir de ahí todo empieza a decaer.

La idea inicial no es mala, y podría ser muy interesante para un giallo italiano a lo Argento. Incluso tiene algunas interpretaciones más que respetables. Pero la historia se va desarrollando de forma muy torpe, destrozando toda posibilidad de intriga o misterio (y su final se ve venir a lo lejos).

Además, es una de las películas más desastrosas a nivel técnico que he visto nunca. Jamás había visto en una misma pelicula apareciendo en pantalla un micro, una pertiga completa y la francesa de la mattebox de la cámara....¿qué estaban bebiendo en ese rodaje? Horripilante, y no en el buen sentido.

Las pocas buenas ideas de la película se van poco a poco al garete.
½ January 24, 2015
A simple and stylish (at times) slasher that had the makings of something great, but fell short thanks to being much slower and unoriginal than it needed to be. The ice skating sequence and the ending chase scene are pretty good, high tension scenes that the movie needed much more of. The first forty minutes is just a bunch of false scares one after the other. The mid portion of the movie is a bit more interesting, but the extended dialogue sequences drag it down. I just never felt I got to know the characters well enough to care about what they had to say or if they lived or died. Of all the actresses who get murdered one after the other, the only one I felt I got some insight into was the ice skater (who is killed off early). It's worth checking out for slasher fans, but a slight disappointment nonetheless.
October 26, 2014
I was a third of the way into this before I was sure I had seen it before, which says a lot. Vernon is even more sleazily unpleasant than he's meant to be, which I thought was gross, but might be a kind of brilliance. I thought Griffin was quite good, though. The whole thing is crazily uneven and littered with nods to Suspiria, which just made me wish I was watching a better movie.
August 24, 2013
A bit weird, very confusing, but an alright tale. There's not a lot that's memorable, and the pacing is slow. The characters don't make a ton of sense. There are some decent scenes though, and it's fairly watchable.
February 14, 2012
I absolutely loved this 80's slasher movie. It has the eerie ambience and the mask was terrifying. I cannot believe this Canadian movie is underrated. The actors who portrayed these characters did a splendid job, especially Samantha Eggar. The tagline for this film, "6 beautiful actresses trying to get ahead, but when the curtain falls, 5 will be dead" implies the premise for you. The synopsis goes along the lines as this: An eccentric movie director, John Vernon (played by Jonathan Stryker) isolates his actress wife, Samantha (played by the amazing Samantha Eggar) in a mental institute to help her portray the mannerisms of a mad woman for a new role, but he doesn't release her for a very long time. Years later (now this is where the plot primarily starts), the director invites 6 actresses to his secluded estate for a prestigious audition for the title role in his latest film, Audra. When one of the chosen actresses mysteriously doesn't show up, they all presume she is unable to make it, so they carry on as it were. But a masked weapon wielding killer prows the premises of the villa and kills each actress, one by one. Supposedly, it's one of the 5 actresses attended- in order to obtain the assigned role. I cannot tell you enough how much i enjoyed this film. It's much more than a typical 80's slasher film- it's even more some. I possess 2 copies of this film; VHS and DVD . It's one of those rare stylish gems. :)
½ February 1, 2012
Underrated gem from the 80's Slasher genre.
½ October 21, 2011
What a disappointment this movie was. It had real creepy scenes, music, style, camera work, acting, that it would have been one of the best slashers if it wasn't for the incoherent directing, editing, and plot. It felt like a montage of horror scenes that hardly made sense. nevertheless, effective.
½ May 9, 2011
The narrative is fragmented and parts are cheesy but as far as 80's slashers go, 'Curtains' has all the right ingredients and a solid third act. For horror fans we get a nice death scene involving a skating rink, a cool masked-killer and some stylish visuals (when the photography is not overexposed).
½ February 15, 2011
I Love this Slasher Depite its flaws I have the poster because as a kid the hag masked scared me shitless The Ice Skate rink also scare me and the creppy doll so if you like Slaher seek this one out