Daddy and Them - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daddy and Them Reviews

bug761
March 6, 2011
I must admit, I purchased this movie because I knew Jim Varney was in it. He was such a wonderful and versatile actor but I found it slightly uncomfortable hearing those foul words come from his mouth.(it was only a couple). It's not something I'm used to with him. Billy Bob Thorton really hit the nail on the head about dysfunctional families and this was about as dysfunctional as it gets. I'm from the South and, of course, I've never seen families like this in real life even though they're out there. I do like Billy's role as 'Carl' from "Slingblade" better. Jim Varney, as 'Uncle Hazel' is the only non drinker in the movie while the rest can really put away the alcohol. Uncle Hazel is falsely accused of attempted murder and is thrown in jail. The rest of the clan rally together to help him out of this situation. The first two lawyers, whom of which were married, didn't pan out and they ended up with a public defender. The courtroom scene with Jim Varney is one of the best scenes in my opinion. Claude is married to Ruby but used to date her sister, Rose. Jealousy is a big player in this. Claude and Ruby are very jealous of each other, but perhaps Ruby has some reason for it. Claude still flirts with Rose as she flirts right back. It's harmless flirting but it's a big hit for Ruby's self esteem. I think this movie pretty much translates to: "Stand by your family, accept each other but also respect one another and consider their feelings the next time you say or do something toward them."
½ July 30, 2012
Brothers aren't supposed to see brothers on the shitter

Claude and Roby Montgomery are a middle aged couple with no kids and little direction in life. When Claude's uncle gets locked up, they head to Claude's home to show support and attend the court precessions. While in Claude's hometown they'll uncover their true love for each other.

"She's my sister and I love her but I don't like that you fucked her."

Billy Bob Thornton, director of Slingblade, All the Pretty Horses, The King of Luck, and Jayne Mansfield's Car, delivers Daddy and Them. The storyline for this film is nothing special but the character development and script is amazing. The cast delivers outstanding performances and includes Billy Bob Thornton, Laura Dern, Diane Ladd, Kelly Preston, and Andy Griffin.

"The only reason you guys got to church is to show off new clothes. Don't think I don't know shit like that."

I caught this film while flicking through the channels and thought the lines and character interactions were mesmerizing. I could wait to see what happened next throughout the film. I caught myself completely stopping what I was doing so I could see who said what to who and what happened to this person. I loved this film and felt Thornton and Dern were perfect. This movie is worth adding to your DVD collection and is an underrated gem.

Grade: A
September 21, 2008
This movie if filled with moments of hilarity and moments of insight...but it would all be so much more entertaining if you didn't know that these characters (or at least character types) really exist. Jim Varney's last performance.
May 10, 2008
...how on God's green earth would you begin to understand this movie, if you aren't poor white southern trash, or live real near em? worth watching just to hear Andy Griffith cuss like a sailor. oh the sacrilege.
½ April 1, 2007
Well acted but dang, this is one slow moving film. The cast boasts some fine actors, but director Billy Bob Thornton doesn't do anything with them. A quicker pace and a little more excitement sure would have been welcome.
March 8, 2005
[color=white]There are an equal amount of reaons why Billy Bob Thronton's [i]Daddy & Them [/i]is both theatrical release and straight to DVD worthy. In the end I say the choice to send this past theaters and right to video was a bad one. I know there are many less than good aspects about this ultimate hillbilly comedy, but that's no reason to reject its box-office and wider audience chances. There are also many uproarious moments in the film as well, and compared to most of the popular comedies in theaters regularly these days, this is triumphant. [/color]

[color=white]The movie was made in 2001 but didn't see itself fall onto video store shelves until two years later. Thornton writes, directs, stars and brings along a cast that works wonders together. The family of characters are played by Laura Dern, Kelly Preston, Andy Griffith, Brenda Blethyn, and Jim Varney. There are also two great tiny roles made into something more memorable than they could've been by Jamie Lee Curtis and Ben Affleck. Thornton' script is so over the top at times, but it's likeability grabs you and won't let go, so you ultimately surrender. [/color]

[color=white]The star power alone should've given this one a shot at the big screen 4 years ago. Although there are scenes that fall flat on their face, this is a comedy that I think many people could find entertaining. Thornton and Dern's radically up and down relationship alone is enough to recommend this film. [/color]
½ April 12, 2004
Back around 2001, Billy Bob Thornton wrote, directed, and starred in a film about hillbilly family angst that was promptly shelved until Miramax finally released it on DVD just last month. Although the cast list includes Laura Dern, Diane Ladd, Kelly Preston, Brenda Blethyn, and Andy Griffith there was obviously something about the film that made the studio honchos uncomfortable. That something is that Daddy & Them is a painfully bad film.

Billed as a comedy, Daddy & Them is a black comedy at best and woefully unfunny for most of its 90-plus minute running time. If you find the sort of folks who regularly pop up on Jerry Springer hilarious then you?ll probably find this film to be a laugh riot as this dysfunctional redneck family of alcoholics trade insults back and forth and generally do everything in their power to make one another miserable. It?s a migraine film of epic proportions, especially with Dern?s character who spends much of the film screaming at the top of her lungs about imagined infidelities. Thornton?s script does incorporate a bit of heartfelt emotion and his attempts to sugar-coat things a bit turns thick as molasses near the end with an ending that is too pat.

However, the film isn?t all bad. The acting is actually pretty stellar. Thornton does fine work as Claude, the patient working-stiff who is a bit too obsessed with his body image. Thornton possesses an on-screen magnetism that draws your attention no matter the role and he is utterly believable here. Dern is ok with what she has to work with but is, unfortunately, saddled with the least likeable character in the film. Ruby is shrill, insecure, and quick to read an accusation into nearly everything Claude says. Preston is appropriately trashy as Ruby?s sister, Rose, who also happens to be Claude?s ex-lover and never misses an opportunity to remind Ruby of that fact. Lane has a few funny moments as Jewel, mother to Ruby and Rose, and a woman who is constantly comparing Claude to all of Ruby?s old boyfriends. Griffith?s role is a real departure as the family patriarch whose disturbing nightmares often include a corn-holing. Singer John Prine is surprisingly good as Claude?s brother, Alvin, easily the most likeable character and the family?s only voice of reason. Quietly observant of all that happens around him, Alvin is ultimately the glue that holds the family together. Jamie Lee Curtis and Ben Affleck show up in hilarious cameos as married lawyers who spend as much time fighting with one another as they do defending their client in court.

The DVD extras include a 4 minute behind the scenes featurette that is nothing more than a cast love fest in which they express how wonderful it was to work with one another, a handful of deleted scenes, with or without commentary by Thornton, which are mostly just extended versions of scenes that appeared in the film (the exception is an impressive moment of acting by Jim Varney which ended up on the cutting room floor), feature commentary from Thornton, and a feature titled ?The Return of Carl? which has Thornton reprising his Sling Blade character in a scene with John Prine, Jeff Bailey, and Walt Goggins.

With Thornton at the helm and an all-star cast to back him up, Daddy & Them should be a much better film. But, a weak script and too many unlikable characters left this reviewer feeling like this feuding family of poor white trash should have been left at the curb.
November 28, 2003
I am new, I manage a video store in Ohio.
Just watched Daddy & Them :rotten:
Just watched Buffalo Soldiers :rotten:
August 7, 2011
Strange little gem. Very good lesson in dialogue writing. Great characters. Impressive camera work.
½ June 30, 2013
Perfectly fine, but this is a fairly underwhelming film. It's got a more than solid cast but, outside of Andy Griffith's performance, there's sort of a mishandling of the talented cast. I don't think the scripting is great but I think there's flashes of brilliance here and there. For example, Walter Goggins' little scene with Alvin was tremendous and clearly the comedic highlight of the film. And Brenda Blethyn's freak-out was pretty great as well, her delivery was just tremendous. I also liked how Alvin, after reading ONE book about psychology, goes around psychoanalyzing everyone in his family and helping to solve their issues. These are the funniest scenes in the movie and they're left for the latter part of the film. The rest of the film's comedy is hit and miss, I think there's as many hits as there are misses. But the hits are singles rather than home-runs, to tie back to the baseball analogy. Another problem is that the last 15 or so minutes are fairly sentimental and not particularly interesting to me. I suppose they make sense in the context of Claude and Ruby's relationship, but it didn't really do anything for me and I think it did take away from the movie, which at this point I would've given 3 stars to if it hadn't been for the last 15 minutes. Still the cast is good, if slightly mismanaged, and there are some quite funny moments but I found this to be an average film at best.
June 20, 2013
This movie is just like a train wreck. You find yourself drawn to look at it, even though there's nothing attractive, positive or positive about it. Just wreckage. The characters are a couple of clicks below my dog on the intelligence scale, with absolutely no ability to control their reactions to circumstances around them. Unlike my dog, who knows how to control herself. Quite a caricature dumb rednecks. But, it presents a story that offers no hope for the survival humanity.
½ December 30, 2012
Written and directed by Billy Bob Thornton, who had won an Oscar for his screenplay for Sling Blade (1996), he filmed this in 1998, but Miramax wouldn't release it, and said they would if he did All The Pretty Horses (2000) first. Thornton did and they shafted him over that too. It's a shame, as there's something warmly funny about this film, showing the pains of family loyalty in rural America. Set in Arkanas, Claude Montgomery (Thornton) and his wife Ruby (Laura Dern), get a call regarding Claude's uncle Hazel (Jim Varney), who has been thrown in jail for an alleged attempted murder. So they drive across state to sort this out, Claude and Ruby travel with Ruby's mother Jewell (Diane Ladd) and sister Rose (Kelly Preston). They get there, Claude's father O.T. (Andy Griffith) straightens them out on what's happened, and Jewell regales O.T.'s new wife, Julia (Brenda Blethyn), about Claude and Ruby's insecure and rocky relationship, which adds to the already tense atmosphere, then Hazel is released... It's a frank look at redneck life in middle America, and it's close in tone to a Mike Leigh film, (especially with Blethyn in it), but Thornton makes the most of the cast, getting the best out of the most the cast, including cameos from Jamie Lee Curtis and Ben Affleck. It's a little seen black comedy, and Thornton has only just got behind the camera again recently for Jayne Mansfield's Car (2012).
½ July 30, 2012
Brothers aren't supposed to see brothers on the shitter

"She's my sister and I love her but I don't like that you fucked her."

Grade: A
June 19, 2012
Laughed my ass off. Some of my favorite actors, plus my hero, John Prine!
April 10, 2012
billy bob wrote and directed this magnificent and hilarious little film about family. one of his best films ever by far as well as the all star cast including jamie lee curtis, ben afflleck, john prine, jim varney, kelly preston and a remotely funny little cameo from roy d. mercer and backed by a soundtrack of original music by country superstar marty stuart
½ June 20, 2011
Bit low key. Alright story. Hillbilly romance movie. Super weird family.
bug761
March 6, 2011
½ September 20, 2010
Worth watching. Last 20 minutes drags but overall not bad. We all know people like this family. Return of Carl in special features is fun, as is John Prine.
August 1, 2010
Interesting 'southern' character study with some nice comic moments, but it is script heavy with very little stimulus to it.
July 30, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..............its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...............i think that jeff bailey, billy bob thornton, brenda blethyn, diane ladd, jim varney, laura dern, walton goggins, andy griffith, daniel steven play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......................i think that billy bob thornton, jim varney, diane ladd were great throughout this movie............i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie..............i think that this is a great movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie i think that this is a really good comedy movie 2 watch n its enjoyable movie 2 watch