Dakota Skye Reviews

LWOODS04
½ December 26, 2010
"It wasn't a horrible movie, but it wasn't that great either. I was hoping that just because the cast has some unknowns (at least for me), that it would turn out being good. But, it wasn't. The acting left something to be desired and the story itself was boring. I didn't care for the characters and I didn't care for the story. I did think the only one who did a good job in this was Ian Nelson as Jonah. Eileen Boylan over acted. So that's about all I gotta say about this."
½ August 29, 2010
Cast was perfect for this. They did a great job. I liked the storyline but did seem to get bored pretty easily with it. All-in-all it was a prety good movie, but it could definitely use a little something.
March 25, 2010
I had read so many good things about Dakota Skye, that I had to track it down and give it a spin. I agree with some of the positive things that have been said about it. The young actors that are the stars were uniformly wonderful and believable. The direction and acting all shared an organic feel, that made it easy to get into the vibe of the movie.

Other than that, I wasn't really wowed by Dakota Skye. The story is interesting enough, and Dakota's ability, while fantastical, actually serves as the emotional groundwork of the movie. Dakota's personality is perfectly reasonable, given her circumstances. I know I'd be as cynical and jaded as she occasionally was. Maybe even more. It's refreshing to see such a well-written character. But beyond that, the movie was never much more than a mildly enjoyable experience. Decent, but not great. I liked the idea more than its actual execution.
½ December 16, 2010
Dakota Skye (Eileen Boylan) is a moderately intelligent young woman facing the end of high school with no ambition and the ability to recognize any lie. She is thrown off her game when she meets her boyfriend's best friend, as he seems incapable of lying. This viewer had a difficult time working up any interest in these people or their situations. One sincerely hopes that these people are not true representatives of their generation and that the filmmakers never meant them to be role-models. Purely as entertainment and ignoring whatever message it was meant to convey, this was just barely watchable.
Harlequin68
½ July 25, 2010
Dakota Skye(Eileen April Boylan) is a high school junior who considers herself to be medium cute. Admittedly, she does have one thing going for herself and that is the ability to see exactly what a person really means when he is lying.(Sort of like the guy on "Lie to Me" but much cooler.) So, she knows when her musician boyfriend Kevin(J.B. Ghuman Jr.) is lying to her which is comforting to her in a weird sort of way. She does not need her ability to know her longtime friends desperately want to get her interested in studying for the SAT's which might be complicated by Kevin's friend Jonah(Ian Nelson) coming to stay for a while.

"Dakota Skye" has a breathtaking opening scene, a worthy message about finding a direction in life(especially if it is east northeast) and a bittersweet tone that works to its advantage. However, even with its clever insights on honesty and trust in relationships, the movie is brought down by its amateurish acting and pedestrian direction. And wait a sec. Wasn't there an episode of "Medium" where Allison(Patricia Arquette) was a human lie detector for an episode?
June 5, 2010
A simple yet humble movie of a young woman coming up to the point in her life, where she discovers the strength of this super power that she has that can determine the people that she is supposed to trust tells lies. As she examines the strength of this super power, in her relationships with her family, her friends and her teachers...she notices that when her boyfriend's best friend comes to town, he is immune to her super power...why? Only because...He habitually speaks the truth.
Now with this power and this new "wrinkle" she now discovers that she has to make choices...See this! It is revealing in the strength of the super power of telling the truth!
lesleyanorton
½ August 23, 2009
Sweet indie film
February 5, 2012
Every now and then it's nice to just sit down and enjoy a heartfelt, honest, indie romance. Full of undeniable charm, quippy dialogue, and feel-good moments, it's hard to hate on the message "Dakota Skye" is trying to send. While it may seem cliche for a film to focus solely on the ideals of love and honesty, there's something inherently human about this one. Some might be turned off by the protagonist Dakota's deadpan, apathetic delivery of lines, or the perpetual atmosphere of teen angst, but the movie feels realistic in almost all respects (minus the main character's super power, of course). The onscreen chemistry between all of the characters is genuinely fun to watch, especially between Dakota and her love interest, Jonah - the interactions between these two drive the film, and eliminate the need for any big-name stars or giant studio budgets. A great pick for a date night, or even to just satiate a romantic film craving.
June 23, 2011
I expected better. I knew it was a love triangle and I don't like those in general, but I liked the love triangle. And I liked the overall theme of trust. I guess they were trying to hard to be real with teenage sex, foul language and drug use, but I could deal with that too. But I was expecting something unique, but it just ended up being the same ole teeny bopper type of movie. Indie style, of course. The dialogue was ok, and I think the actors did great for the material they were given. There could have been more and there wasn't.
½ February 13, 2011
It would've been better had the main character not been extremely annoying throughout most of the movie. But it did get much better at the end.
December 8, 2010
A refreshing alternative to the stereotypical/hollywood "teeny bopper" romance flicks. It was perfectly cast and they quickly got me cheering for Jonah and Dakota. That said, the end left me wanting more! If anyone knows of an alternate ending out there I've got to see it!!
August 17, 2010
It hurts to say that a chick flick is a good movie but it is. It has my kind of sarcasm and is a pretty good story I think it might be a stoner chick flick that makes it ok for me to like it or I'm just getting soft in my old age lol
June 29, 2010
What a pleasent surprise on my Netflix instant viewing!!! One more super power I'd love to have and yay the love!
½ September 12, 2009
This movie is a little low budget, but it is a sweetly beautiful story. It isn't often that I see this caliber of movie from no name actors.
½ November 1, 2009
This is a fine film, good performances, but I just wish that Dakota wasn't quite so bitchy and a bit more likable. It's a different film, I appreciate the effort towards something unique. It has a good message. Well written, it does an amazing job with the budget.
April 7, 2014
Makes you wonder if you're a person who 'makes life happen' or 'lets life just happen to you' and which is better in the end.
June 19, 2013
I secretly like this movie a lot. I don't know what it is about it, because when I think about the plot, it doesn't seem like a movie I would enjoy in the least. But, inexplicably, I do.
½ May 21, 2013
Not good. They took a decent premise and drug it through terrible acting, a slow story line, and shallow perspective. The real struggle is how long to give it before you turn it off.

The lead is horrendous; her character is grumpy without any redeeming qualities. The good news is that she's so bad that you know it can't be her real personality.
½ October 7, 2012
Cute, but too slowly paced story about the meaning of truth and lies.
June 15, 2012
It had its moments and some of those were funny, though I'm not sure they were meant to be. Overall, pretty honest acting and some of the soundtrack worked well in the moment. Her green extra large jacket was definitely in the proud tradition of Lindsay Weir from the short-lived Freaks and Geeks.