Dare Reviews

½ March 13, 2011
What a surprise! I knew nothing about this movie and watched based on my Netflix recommendation. For this movie, it was right on. It seems to be a typical teen drama but new twists are added that are interesting and make the movie unique and enjoyable.
LWOODS04
November 11, 2009
Cast: Emmy Rossum, Zach Gilford, Ashley Springer, Rooney Mara, Ana Gasteyer, Alan Cumming, Sandra Bernhard, Michael Cassidy, Cady Huffman, Brianne Berkson, Adam Fleming, Chris Riggi

Director: Adam Salky

Summary: In their final semester before graduation from an affluent suburban high school, good girl Alexa (Emmy Rossum), outcast Ben (Ashley Springer) and bad boy Johnny (Zach Gilford) decide to shed their youthful inhibitions and take some very grown-up risks.

My Thoughts: "Although the story is interesting, the story doesn't leave you feeling like it's finished. I found Johnny Drake's character to be the much more interesting one of the three. He seems to be having some major issues and I'd liked to have known more of his story. I love Zach Gilford. I first saw him on 'Friday Night Lights'. He is a great actor and was great in the role of Johnny Drake. I feel like Alexa and Ben use Johnny to find out who they are. He is more of an experiment for them then a human being. When he becomes vulnerable in front of them, it seems it humanized him and they didn't know how to handle it. He was no longer seen as an object for their own needs anymore. It was interesting, and a different kind of teen angst film I thought I was in for. The film is sad, twisted, and unique considering it's not your average teen flick. Worth the watch."
neverteaseaweasel
November 10, 2009
Dare really has a lot of potential genuis, but ultimately it falls flat. The film is incredibly scattered and really does not have any focus, and to top it off, all the characters and situations seemed really far fetched. In the begining we have good girl Alexa trying to "Do Something You're Afraid Of", but then that fliight gets lost in midair. Then, in the middle, we have Ben, and his story makes absolutely no sense at all, so we are not even going to discuss it. And I do not really remember it. Finally, we end with Zach Gilford's character (I'm sure he had a name, but I have also forgotten it) who, consequently, is sleeping with both Ben and Alexa. Lovely, isn't it? Idk, in closing, the film left me confused. There are many interesting ideas presented throughout the whole duration, but none of them are really expanded on. I have no idea what Adam Salky was actually trying to say. Is the film about breaking out of one's shell? Trying to find one's in the world? Or something simple, like everyone is essentially messed up, or three-way sex is not a good idea. In the hands of someone like Sam Mendes, I think Dare could be absolutely amazing, but as it is, it just is not that great. Still, I enjoy watching it enough, and it tries so very hard, and you've got to give it credit for that.

One final note: It makes me so happy that Bon Voage's song "Monster" was used. I realize that is completely shallow and irrelevant, but I love the song. Seriously, now? "I wish I was a monster/ I would hide under your stairs / I wish I was a nightmare / I'd give you a scare"
jjnxn
½ March 5, 2010
Nothing special and why do these high school seniors all look over 25? Because they are! With teen actors everywhere you look they couldn't find three to star in this?
DrStrangeblog
March 9, 2015
Ironic title for a film that wants to push boundaries but refuses to go all the way. A love triangle setup with two guys and a girl is seldom seen, but each time these characters generate some interest, it soon dissolves thereafter. That's probably due to the lack of chemistry between the actors. The one scene with real meat is chewed up by Alan Cumming during his brief appearance.
November 11, 2009
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Emmy Rossum was a lot of fun, as was the rest of the cast.
January 10, 2014
A coming of age film, the 3 stars of the film gave emotional and wonderful performances, although uncomfortable at times. Emmy Rossum, Zach Gilford, and Ashley Springer all get a shout out for their roles. The film pulls it off, but some of supporting roles lacked, and I don't think I like how they handled the end of the movie.
May 3, 2012
What could be provocative or insightful, instead comes off as limp and pandering. The bright spot is Gilford whose performance is well-rounded and his character carries genuine emotional depth. As the other two legs of the central "love" triangle, but Rossum comes off as shrill and empty (maybe the point, but it's presented like we should care) and Springer is a typical jittery on-the-way-out-of-the-closet teen.
November 16, 2011
I really liked this movie even though I expected the phantom of the opera to jump out at any time lol but seriously really good movie
½ December 20, 2009
Very good script. it kept me hanging on, and you didnt know where it was going. That was the thing I liked most about it. Plus the ending was a little bit of a surprise....
December 18, 2009
I'm the writer. It's funny that the worst review of the movie on here is from someone who was romantically and personally rejected by someone involved in the film. Ah schadenfreude, alive and well folks--keep on making art and heads up. xoxoxo
DrStrangeblog
March 9, 2015
"Dare" is like the doppelganger of a John Hughes movie. It explores the depths of teen sexuality and rebellion not with humor, but with an honest bleakness that is honestly something a viewer can respect. But then again, it has the opportunity to go farther. Sometimes it goes full throttle, sometimes it holds back. There's a lot of controversial material just bubbling over the surface of "Dare", but it only occasionally explodes. On the other hand, you get an awesome cast: Emmy Rossum, Zach Gilford and Rooney Mara are all very good, but Ashley Springer is someone to watch out for.
February 3, 2015
A fairly interesting take on the high school experience of over privileged suburbanites. This isn't exactly virgin territory (no pun intended), but the writer and director put in (no pun intended) enough edgy material to make it worthwhile. The character's confusion as to who they are and what their future holds is vividly captured by the trio of young actors who make up this confused threesome (pun intended).
November 29, 2014
Just a bunch of confused adolescents making there same mistakes. Dull.
August 2, 2014
Really great movie, with some taste of youth, bring the real drama of gays and teenagers girls.
½ March 9, 2014
An above average affair telling the story of 3 high school kids as they make an effort to shake things up in their lives in their final semester of school. Alexa is an overachieving good girl. Ben, Alexa's best friend, is an awkward socially inept theatre geek. Johnny is a rich kid who has everything he wants apart from happiness. They form a strange pseudo friendship with benefits and shit inevitable goes awry.
The cast are hit and miss with a perfunctory script. It has its moments, but it all seems a bit copy and pasted from other better teen films. It's all a bit too sombre and could really do with a shade of lightness. The ending seems very confused and rushed. Like they didn't really have a clue as to where it all was going.
My So-Called Life-lite.