19% Transcendence Apr 18

Darkness Falls Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 28, 2012
Decent horror yarn that could have been much better, Darkness Falls is not as bad as everyone has claimed it to be, but it leaves a lot to desired. What I enjoyed about the film was the concept; I thought it was very interesting. Despite this, it seems that the filmmakers were afraid of trying to do anything truly great with its idea. The result is a horror film that relies on jump scares to deliver its tension. I enjoyed it for the mindless entertainment it provided. There's never anything going on on-screen to really make it good. Darkness Falls is a decent outing, but it does lack in some areas and I think it could have toned down on the jump scares, which really didn't work. The idea was interesting, but there just wasn't enough substance to the story to truly realize its potential. A decent horror outing, but nothing ever great, the film is just mildly fun entertainment if you can forget its flaws. As a whole it does do its job at being fun, but there are plenty of things that could have been changed. The problem with this film is that it relies way too much on special effects instead of having a tense, brooding atmosphere, which is at the core of every solid horror flick, and then maybe the film would have been better. Decent, but not as bad as what every one has claimed it to be, the film is worth watching if you have nothing else better to watch. If more effort would have been put into the script and the focus would be less on effects, then maybe this would have been a far better film.
3niR
3niR

March 17, 2011
It started out real good. I mean REAL good. I absolutely loved the beginning. It was dead creepy. But then it started to get corny and boring in the end. Kyle's acting wasn't that good. His "stay in the light" dialogue seemed to be more like uttering a memorized line without having any feelings in it. And it kinda bothered me when all the characters died (except the main ones, of course).
Cassandra M

July 17, 2009
While the opening scene was promising and genuinely suspenseful, the rest of the movie wanders in a different direction to make it ultimately suck.

I like the idea of not looking at the antagonist - sounds like the concept of a creepy myth. So why didn't they put more emphasis in that and leave all of the crap out? I really don't want to spend too much time writing this, as such a disappointing film doesn't really deserve the time of day....so why am I wasting my time writing this? It's even more pointless than the film itself.

Oh well, I'll go now.
Luke B

March 27, 2009
The film starts with an interesting story of an old woman loved by children, but victimised when she is disfigured. It's a quick 4 minute narration, but it's more interesting than the rest of this film. They should have made the film a period piece. Instead it becomes a usual horror. What's really annoying is that the first 10 minutes are brilliant. Genuine chills and jumps, not to mention those freaky moments where you want to look away. The main problem with Darkness Falls is a complete lack of characters, but plenty of people. People are introduced just to be slaughtered. The film is so short that they had to make the credits 11 minutes long just so they could show the film theatrically. Perhaps they should have spent some time developing the protagonists. Upon further searching, the design of the Tooth Fairy was changed, for the worst. The original design was creepy and unholy. Now it's just some pissed off old girl. Very missable indeed.
Emily A

October 8, 2007
The effects in this movie are well-done and I really like the child actor in it, but there's not much else to say about this. You know those horror movies where the horror would end if the main characters weren't such dumbasses? This is one of those. None of the characters are likeable, but the movie is short, so you don't have to put up with them for long. There's nothing to HATE about this movie, but there was nothing special about it.
Bannan i

May 18, 2008
Eh. Cool idea, I guess.
Kylie B

April 2, 2007
I liked the backstory and the visuals of the Tooth Fairy (particularly the china mask), but that was about all that was vaguely original. There were stock background characters (cops who don't believe and get in over their heads, 'menacing hick', lawyer...and of course, the dialogue is primarily made up of certain phrases, in this case: "Stay in the light!" and the child's name (not quite as bad as Silent Hill for that one, but SH brought more to the party overall). So, would I watch this again? Maybe if it was on TV and I was very bored. The Tooth Fairy visuals are worth it but they're too spread out amongst the the trite stuff.
Stephen M

October 31, 2007
A silly, instantly forgettable horror film. One imagines that when the bill for the half-decent effects came in there was no money left in the kitty for any stars. The plot, what there is of one, chugs along exactly by the book and the hero spends most of his time bellowing "Stay in the light!", with variable earnestness, at incredulous and ill-fated bit-players. The 'frights' are strictly of the 'something bursting quickly into the frame accompanied by a loud noise' variety.
deano
deano

November 9, 2006
What a scary and thrill in the dark like what people are in this supernatural-horror film.
Daniel J D

June 21, 2007
so let me get this straight... the tooth fairy is evil? and she flies around in the sky for half the movie? oh and if we stay in the light, we stay alive? GREAT! half star
garyX
garyX

April 28, 2007
This is a tricky one to rate. Basically, it's shit. But at the same time, it didn't bore me because it's not pretentious, and at just over 70 mins, it's mercifully short. It has literally no plot to speak of and the dialogue is lame and repetititive; it feels like a po-faced and lesser episode of the X-Files, but it's reasonably well shot. In the end, a sense of humour would've helped immensely. Inoffensive rubbish.
Drew S

January 21, 2007
A really awful horror movie on all fronts, but it's at least notable for not letting up. The atmosphere is consistent, unlike most of today's horror films. Still, The Descent did this far better, and was actually a good film. This is Derivative Central.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
I couldn't get through it.
Jacob P

May 31, 2011
Not the most clever horror movie, although it has its scary moments.
Jason S

May 31, 2006
Sadly forgettable horror movie. Despite a interesting premise, the lack of scares and horrible dialogue will send you running. Aside from a few good scenes, this is something easily missed.
Sylvester K

August 2, 2012
Started off well with a scarier version of the Tooth Fairy, but then started to drag on and on, with random deaths and mindless plot. Characters completely ignored everyone else's death, just let them all die. Matilda was like Santa Clause, instead of giving everyone gifts, killing everyone in one night, very efficient. Still watchable, but not recommended
Anthony V

April 9, 2007
So much potential down the drain. Could have been worked into something interesting, but instead tries to rip off the Friday The 13th franchise. It fails.
Laurence C

January 3, 2007
Save for a notoriously effective opening sequence and one moderately eerie scene in its final third, Darkness Falls has all the trappings of a modern horror stinker, right from its pervasively dark production design to its seen-it-before jolts and plot points. Helmed by all-around mediocre acting and shot without distinction, it has very, very little to offer even to the most undemanding horror fans. Skip this one.
Lovable M

August 19, 2009
The concept was kinda cool: a killer tooth fairy. But after the kinda promising opening, the story and any interest ceased to exist.