Darkside Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darkside Blues Reviews

½ September 7, 2009
Another movie I saw when I was younger so I didn't really get to appreciate it. I'd like to see this one again too
December 26, 2007
Fairly typical anime, but beautifully drawn, Darkside Blues is just moody enough to convince the self-serious adolescents who are drawn to anime like water that it's a masterpiece. They're wrong, but who can convince them otherwise?
April 18, 2007
The story's a bit hard to follow, requires a few viewings to grasp what the heck is going on and what the dream treatment is. Buy the Graphic Novel, it helps to understand Darkside better.
March 7, 2007
Perhaps one of my favorite, if overly short, animes - the english voiceover, in particular, the old woman, is very well done. The characters are each interesting, and later on, many other anime copied them. An overall dark theme with some deep concepts :-) Enjoyable.
½ July 27, 2015
This film was consistently interesting from beginning to end, to the extent that it's quite hard for me to not like it. It certainly has a lot of imagination in almost every department, although there's not really a lot of focus. Although there is a linear story, there's no exposition given to how events took place to begin with. All we know about the story is that, in the film, much of the world is controlled by a large corporation that is rich enough to rule the world from space, and that they're only enemy is a small pocket of resistance aided by a mysterious man in black. Honestly, it's not a bad narrative, and the film itself full of potential, but there begs to be an explanation. As for the characters, the acting on the English dub isn't great, but the characters themselves were always interesting, especially Darkside, the coldly impregnable man in black who fades in and out of the film's world. The only thing that could make him any better is if he had wings. The animation, though it's not as good as some of the other anime films out there, has a kind of unique flavour, perhaps as a result of the film's special blend of high-tech, low life, and a distinctly graceful darkness. However, it's the music that cements this film as an atmospheric triumph. Had the narrative been expanded a bit more, I'd say this could have been an underrated classic, but don't get me wrong, it's still quite a gem of a film as it is.