Dave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dave Reviews

November 20, 2011
Frank Capra would be proud. Ivan Reitman's second best film.
CloudStrife84
June 29, 2007
There's something quite magical about 1993. Not only do I count it as one of the best years of my life, but it's one that also brought us some of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Personal favourites of mine like Jurassic Park and Groundhog Day. Among all those cinematic triumphs, there was also another, more anonymous story. One that sort of fell in the shadow of previously mentioned titans (and that I hadn't really heard of until recently). I'm referring, of course, to Dave. Now, I could speak volumes of what makes this into such a wonderful viewing experience. But as I'm trying to keep my reviews in digestable portions, let me just say the following: Kevin Kline at his career-best, Sigourney Weaver as a lovely first lady. Funny, romantic, touching and inspiring. And these are just a few of the things that I loved about it. An underrated, heartwarming and flawlessly directed comedy, that starts off great and then gets better for every minute thereafter.
½ May 11, 2011
Nothing bad.
FilmFanatik
May 15, 2007
Not terrific, but it's good to see Ivan Reitman still working.
½ February 1, 2007
This is a pretty good movie about something that would never happen. At least I hope it wouldn't happen.
There are a few laughs with the fish out of water scenes we get once Kline is the President but the rest of the movie plays out as you would expect. The good guys wins and the bad guy doesn't.
The cast is well rounded and they all did a good job.
Chiefilms
January 16, 2010
Decent comedy.
December 21, 2008
#7 Dave
Kevin Kline pulls double duty in Dave. Kline plays both President Bill Mitchell, knocked out of commission during an extramarital tryst, and Dave Kovic, an occasional presidential impersonator secretly brought in to act the part on a long-term basis. While Mitchell had been foundering in office, Dave turns out to be a natural, proving that even a simpleton can do the job. Oh...
President Speak: "You don't really know how much you can do until you, stand up and decide to try."
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
I don't remember much about it.
thmtsang
September 1, 2007
Heartwarming movie about a guy who looks like the president. When the president falls ill, his like-a-like steps in. Good cast.
½ July 24, 2007
Good comedy-drama with Kevin Kline playing the role of the US President, and the actor who would impersonate him, in order to save the country. Sigourney Weaver is great as the first lady. The impersonation is a bit like the "Prisoner of Zenda", which has been overused. The movie gets a bit serious at times, but I guess that makes it more believable.
garyX
½ March 15, 2007
Against my better judgement, I really warmed to Kevin Kline in this film, and Weaver has never been more approachable. Contrived pap, yes, but likeable contrived pap.
jjnxn
½ March 27, 2007
Utterly charming, if only Kevin Kline & Sigourney Weaver were the first couple
Naughtia
May 15, 2010
Dave (Kline) looks very much like the President of the United States in appearance so when the Presidents falls in to a coma, Dave gets asked to fill in for the President in order to prevent a huge tabloid scandal. This is highly illegal and must be kept secret at all cost. This movie was fun to watch and I liked seeing Weaver cast as the First Lady. Kevin Kline did a great job in this movie and the plot was most entertaining.
August 7, 2011
This is an absurd plot, however it's an enjoyable little movie to watch when there's nothing better to do. It's mediocre.
October 30, 2007
Man impresonates President for a one-off, President goes into coma, man stays on and nobody can fail to see what'll happen.
And this is a perfect example of a Sunday afternoon movie. If it had a few more teeth and took the odd risk it would have been great. As it is, this film is completely harmless to you and your family, and enjoyable enough for it.
½ April 25, 2008
Silly and fun.
½ March 6, 2009
Likable enough comedy, with good performance's from a seasoned cast. The scene at the construction factory gave it an extra half star.
DrStrangeblog
March 3, 2009
One of those pleasant, completely unmemorable comedies.
October 2, 2007
Finally got to see the whole thing; a really great movie with an important message for all political leaders (or leaders in general). Kevin Kline's awesome.
½ January 10, 2013
If only we could have a real president who took control, as Dave does in the latter third of this film. By negotiating without slacking and compromising without sacrificing the best part of the budget, Dave manages to balance the budget with a surplus. What a great film!