19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Last Man Standing: Season 3
—— Unforgettable: Season 3

The Day of the Dolphin Reviews

August 1, 2012
The movie taglines says "Unwittingly he trained a Dolphin to kill the president of the United States" and so naturally I sat down to watch it. With a ridiculous tagline like that you would expected something over-the-top and goofy right? Sadly you're wrong as this movie takes itself too seriously and simply a bores you to death.

The Day of the Dolphin is about a scientist who trains his Dolphin to talk who are than kidnapped by the government to kill the president. That synopsis in the last sentence is literally all that happens and nothing else interesting develops. It has boring characters, uninteresting back stories, and is surprisingly very dramatic. You'll wonder how in the world did a movie about talking Dolphins get to a point where the government are kidnapping Dolphins and planning to kill blowup the president. The answer is simply lazy writing. For a movie that has talking Dolphins I'm surprised at the lack of humor and for a movie with Dolphin in the title they're barely are shown doing anything interesting. Most of the times the Dolphins are doing tricks and swimming, yawn. Would you believe that there's only one scene of the Dolphins being trained to kill anything, and unfortunately they don't have machine-guns or anything over-the-top for your amusement. Though to the film credits it did attempt to make it realistic, while it does have Dolphins that sound like Elmo from Sesame Street, the scenario is somewhat plausible. The plot is ultimately poorly written, but I honestly can't say I expected something good that has talking Dolphins.

The acting is surprisingly good, though the actors do have the "I'm going to fire my agent" train of thought. The music is also good, though completely useless here as it never used effectively. Now since we have a scientist training a Dolphin to talk, you get to hear tape samples of it, like of them in the same scene. Yes the tape of the Dolphin speaking is annoying, but they are unintentionally funny to listen to. The director on the other hand does not know how to make a thriller. You'll see events coming miles away and nothing is ever suspenseful since the movie does a good job of boring you to death. Now for some reason this is categorize as science-fiction, why? Sure the movie has talking Dolphin, but I don't think that would count it as science-fiction and there's a lack of both science and fiction in this. To my amazement there's a novel with the same name and would you believe it's a political satire of the Cold War. That would actually would have interesting to watch if the movie actually decided to follow the novel. Now while this might unrelated to this movie there's is a Simpson parody title "Night of the Dolphin" that's more entertaining to watch.

The Day of the Dolphin is a serious movie with a premise that shouldn't have been taken seriously in the first place. You're better off reading the political satire novel with the same name or watching The Simpsons parody "Night of the Dolphin".
Stephen E

November 27, 2012
Being as its plot is centered on talking dolphins that are unknowingly trained to assassinate the president, you'd think that "The Day of the Dolphin" would be a total exercise in camp, but it's almost the exact opposite. It takes itself so darn seriously that there's absolutely nothing fun or enjoyable about it. Also, the narrative is bumbling and borderline incoherent, the editing is clumsy, there's not a single likable or relatable character among the bunch and the first three fifths are mindless exposition that build up to literally nothing. Even if it is visually enticing, "The Day of the Dolphin" is a complete bore.
iguana1bug
May 11, 2011
This was nominated for an academy award? That, just shows you what the awards are worth. Most of the time this movie is just laughable. Especailly the "talking" dolphins.
February 7, 2012
This is so trashy and the plot is so unreasonable that it kind of ends up being an enjoyable movie. Nothing to watch twice, of course, but I wouldn't dismiss it just like that. I wish I could remember more of the movie and the acting, but from what I can recall the main problem of this film is that it takes itself a little too seriously, but I guess I saw worse things in my life.
Max
October 4, 2013
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence
Stephen E

November 27, 2012
October 9, 2012
I saw this movie as a child and was captured by it. Nearly 40 years later, I happened to catch it again, and it was still moving to me. The score, which I thought was beautiful, and learned upon research that it was up for an Academy Award, is amazing when combined with footage of the dolphins. The premise may be hard to believe for some, but I find it inspiring, as I've often wondered what these intelligent creatures, who seem to love humans so, think and feel. The end makes me CRY!!!
October 7, 2012
It was an excellent movie showing the dolphins have feelings and they do.But how were these mammals treated doing the film

August 1, 2012

moviebuff18cab
December 17, 2008
THE DAY OF THE DOLPHIN (1973)
April 22, 2011
This is a film that attempts to be everything but what it is . . . and fails utterly. However, the ending is quite moving, though unearned.
jennifer's picks & pa
April 1, 2006
[size=2]I'm beginning the rather lengthy task of entering into the database every film I have seen, at least those I have a decent memory of. Some may have the briefest of reviews while many will just have a number. Those films that I consider personal favorites and/or those that have some historical signficance I will add later when I have time for more lengthy reviews.

[b]Day of the Dolphin[/b], directed by Mike Nichols, is a political thriller starring George C. Scott as a researcher studying dolphin intelligence. Right wing groups think they can train the dolphins to blow up the president's yacht. Not meant to be amusing but it is!

[b]Ice Castles[/b], directed by Donald Wrye, is a sappy romantic drama about a blind ice skater.

[b]Thank God It's Friday[/b], directed by Robert Klane, is a film about a dance contest at a popular disco. It's not a particularly good film (Saturday Night Fever is much better) but it's somewhat enertaining if viewed as a "period piece" of the disco era. Stars Donna Summer, Terri Nunn, Jeff Goldblum, Debra Winger, the Commodores, and Chick Vennerra.

About five years ago I bought a box of about 50 videos at a garage sale for $5. [b]Stanley [/b]was one in the box! It's a film about about a Vietnam vet who raises snakes to kill people who try to hurt him. It's so bad it's almost funny. Almost.

[/size]
thunderbunny
June 22, 2004
past few weeks...

I have to figure this this list thing and ratings... ugh.