97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Deadly Friend Reviews

Lafe F

August 24, 2007
Unbelivable, cheesy, tragic and fascinating! An electronics geek (Matthew Laborteaux from "Little House on the Prairie") tries to bring his deceased girlfriend (Kristy Swanson) back to life with parts from his robot project. The life-giving experiment turns her into a monstrous creation to be dealt with named "Bee-Bee". Gosh, this movie has a silly Frankenstein-esque premise, which delivers a cool 80's horror experience. Wes Craven actually directed this post-Elmstreet, so it deserves some attention.
Dr Blood

June 21, 2007
Very much part of the Frankenstein-genre, this Wes Craven effort is often strangely touching and almost sickly compared with his usual fare.
deano
deano

December 6, 2006
A midding Wes Craven effort, half ingenious Frankenstein re-hash, half-silly teen horror.
divinetrash
divinetrash

May 10, 2008
I'm sorry, I just can't hate something this cheesy, I don't have it in me. The stupid plot, the awful acting (Kristy Swanson's hands are hilarious) and everything laughable about it just adds to the charm for me.
Lee K

June 17, 2011
This one that i categorize as my own kinda cheese! U know movies that are over the top cheesy but we love em anyways for some unknown reason? I'm pretty sure however that my main reason here is for Kristy Swanson!
Anthony V

June 10, 2008
Nice cross between Frankenstein and 80's teen flick, but continues for a bit after it should have ended.
Christopher B

October 4, 2007
God, Wes Craven sucks. Not even a head being thrown against a wall and smashing like a ripe melon can save this turd. You suck Craven!
rodjeckrich
April 25, 2013
Another post-Nightmare on Elm Street Wes Craven dud. The video box was definitely freakier (not the lame image on here!). About the only cool thing in this is Anne Ramsay getting the basketball to the head death. Annoying robot, lame plot, and pathetic suspense.
muveeKween
September 9, 2012
My personal favorite "Wes Craven" film. Kristy Swanson does a remarkable job as "Sam". Sad but very entertaining and excellent revenge. This one's a keeper.
July 27, 2012
3 Things: Kristy (the original Buffy) Swanson, Wes Craven, and most importantly a robot. Add these together and you get the bizarre piece of 80s horror that is Deadly Friend. The film opens like an 80s family film like Space Camp, Explorers, Flight of the Navigator, etc. A brilliant teenage boy moves into a new neighborhood along with the advanced (and cheesy looking) robot he built--think those 80s toy robots you could buy at Eckerd's but human-sized. But things take a dark turn from there as he befriends Kristy Swanson's character who just happens to be regularly abused by her alcoholic father. After tragedy strikes, human will meet machine in new ways and no one will be safe. Stupid, but funny, and surprisingly gory, Deadly Friend is worth watching mostly for a laugh, particularly if you are a big fan of 80s horror like me.
July 9, 2008
Super cheesy horror flick from the 80's that i grew up with as a kid. in the movie super genius teen moves to a new town with his mother to go to college because of his mastery of robotic intelligence. He meets a couple of neighborhood kids one is kristy swanson who is an abused teen/love interest and the other is the local newspaper boy/trusty side kick. kristy ends up with a serious head injury after being injured by her father and teen genius stricken with love and grief steals her dead body from the hospital to implant his experimental computer brain. Of course this will never end up well. She goes on a killing spree or revenge and self protection. The best scene is infamous as mama from "throw mama from the train" gets her head squished in full bloody glory by a basketball. Maybe not one of Wes Craven's best, but its cheesy fun to watch with some like minded friends. Bee Bee!
October 29, 2009
This was strangely uneven, feeling at times like a light Disney romp with the children and the robot, but then someone's head gets stuffed into a furnace!

The corny elements are outweighed by the completely over the top violence, which has some wild moments, and then there's that completely asinine ending that makes this worth at least a single rental if only for a few laughs.

Rental.
March 20, 2009
Great shit. Early craven movie, had great gore and was about a girl with a robot brain. corniness adds to the appeal.
cocoakrispies
February 7, 2009
Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Albert the Morhine Addict from Little House on the Prairie and a robot named Bee Bee in a true love/horror film......Basketball anyone???
Ken D

September 23, 2008
This was a tame horror movie from the eighties that was by the numbers. but it still was pretty decent. The effects were alright. I was really surprised on how well Kristy Swanson was in this and you kind of felt her emotion. It was cool seeing Anne Ramsey in this as well. Didn't really care for the ending though. the morgue scene was kind of stupid, but then again, eighties horror movies were not known for their brilliant endings.
jamilyn0276
September 1, 2008
I just found this movie on DVD. This is an 80's horror flick, which I adore.
It stars Matthew Laborteaux, Albert from Little House on the Prairie, as Paul. It also stars a baby faced Kristy Swanson, as Sam.
You have to keep in mind that is an 80s film, to appreciate this story. I think it is one of Wes Carven's best of that decade, a part from the Nightmare On Elm Street collection.
There is some acting in this film that is less than cosmic, some obvious plot holes here and there, and some special effects that aren't so special. But, you have to appreciate the make up skills of that time frame. Yes, with enough blue and black eye shadow - even you can look like the undead!
Deadly Friend is a unquestionable must see for horror lover's. It is a classic of it's genre.
July 8, 2008
I can't believe it took me over 20 years to see this Wes Craven movie but I finally rented it. Wish I would have watched it back then because now it just seemed too cheesy. The story line was ok but, hey if you're a Wes Craven fan then you should at least see it once. ...but don't say I didn't warn you. :)
July 19, 2007
So campy and has one of the most over the top scenes in any movie ever. Fun times with friends having a marthoin of awesomely bad flicks
wolverineland
April 21, 2007
Classic 80's teen horror flick. In this movie Matthew Laborteaux plays a boy genius who implants his disabled robot's circuit board into the head of his dead girlfriend played by Kristy Swanson. The girl is reanimated but with the dangerous and vengeful persona of the robot sending her on a killing spree.
March 9, 2007
Wes Craven sure does know how to make intersting films. An underrated 1986 horror film. A young teen, who is a genius, saves the life of a girl who's abusive father kills her and then goes out for her revenge. This movie rocks!