Dear Mr. Gacy Reviews

December 30, 2010
Based on actual events, and consequently a book titled "The Last Victim". Fascinating topic. I have always found the subject of serial killers an extremely interesting one, anyway. PLUS the case of John Wayne Gacy is an especially interesting one, since I grew up in the same area, and remember it well. For a college student to choose to try to befriend serial killers for a school project is crazy. Jason Moss talked to some of the most notorious serial killers to ever exist. This apparently affected him so badly that he ended up committing suicide on 6/6/06. There are very interesting interviews with him on YouTube. Check it out...
April 23, 2011
Another portrayal of a person who wanted to do something unusual in life and ended up with (relatively) unusual outcome.
½ December 23, 2010
When the subject comes up in everyday conversation of serial killers, personally two names immediatly rear their heads in my mind. Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy. Gacy one of the more spookier killers i have read about in us history who was responsible for luring young male prostitutes home in his "nice guy" guise and murdering them and burying their many bodies in his root cellar of his own home. Based on true events that occurred during the last few weeks of Gacy's life before he finally succombed to lethal injection On May 10, 1994. Young university law student approaches his professor with the idea on doing the latest required thesus on Gacy himself sort of an psychological profile. The professor advisses him to look elsewhere for a subject as serial killer thesus's are wayy over done. Jason promises he will deliver answers into Gacy's psyche that have never surfaced either by interviews by both the FBI and media. Jason thentakes it upon himself to write a letter to Gacy on deathrow. A relationship between the two begins. Jason tiptoes around ,madness as he tries his best not to be sucked into Gacy's evil world. Jesse Moss was awesome in this and i couldnt help but compare him to a young Tom Cruise but that still remains to be shown. Forsythe who i feel is very underrated pulls off the Gacy charector brilliantly. this movie pulls no punches in showing you the dirty parts of the world that are usually whitewashed by hollywood!
½ May 13, 2012
Jesse Moss was awesome in this and i couldn't help but compare him to a young Tom Cruise but that still remains to be shown. Forsythe who i feel is very underrated pulls off the Gacy charactor brilliantly. this movie pulls no punches in showing you the dirty parts of the world that are usually whitewashed by Hollywood!
October 7, 2011
An incredibly disturbing true story. Sort of a real life 'Silence of the Lambs'. As far as made for TV movies, this has to be in the upper echelon.

The script is very good and the acting is tight. The always underrated Forsythe in particular is simply chilling. He really captures the dual personalities of Gacy; both his controlling cerebral side, as well as his unhinged and deranged side. Forsythe also manages to create a physically imposing figure, much as Gacy was in real life. The rest of the acting is also quite good, although I found Moss a little over the top in places. He does do a good job at conveying how his relationship with Gacy really facilitated Jason Moss's own decent to madness and eventual suicide.

In addition to the script, story and acting, it is handled excellently from the directors chair. Its film methods serve the story and its tense psychological nature perfectly. It does a great job of telling the story faithfully and keeping its edge of your seat value. This is a seriously dark and twisted film with very little in the way of pulling punches, relief of any sort, or feel good moments. It is about as gritty a drama as there can be.

The only couple negatives I can really mention are a few issues with pacing, as it definitely goes off on a couple of tangents that don't really end up going anywhere, and a couple of flawed performances by some secondary actors.

In conclusion, this is a terrific and scary thriller. Gacy was without a doubt one of the most twisted and terrifying figures in American history, and this film does his character justice.
February 19, 2011
When I 1st heard about this movie & William Forsythe was cast as John Wayne Gacy I didn't know what to think.After watching the movie, I think he was the perfect choice.Watching Forsythe as Gacy was just creepy & it made my skin crawl especially when Moss went to visit Gacy in prison.What was Moss thinking?! What did he expect was gonna happen?! What makes the movie truly creepy is that it's all true
September 18, 2011
This movie takes a different approach to the serial killer story. I had no idea that someone actually got it into their heads to get personal with such a twisted and dangerous individual. The actors were great in their roles and Forsythe was truly disturbing as Gacy.
April 13, 2011
I hadn't read anything about this serial killer, but now it seems as though I started at the end of the case with this film. Regardless, it's a shocking,intimidating and dirtying story which this film fills you in on, and the turn into "the dark side of homosexuality" where hmosexuality is intertwined with rape and pedophilia is filmed quite frankly (Canadian production). It's a casual adaptation probably, one that has you itching to read the source material, some actors are mediocre, and it may suffer from a repetitive process if you're not interested in the first person account, but the based-on-an-awkward-and-dangerous-true-story subject matter provides interest, and Forsythe's rough voice and domineering acting make for a classic villanous persona.
½ April 13, 2014
I liked this story, it was intense, it had suspense, and worst of all it was even more terrifying knowing this was true.
January 9, 2014
One of the best real life serial killer movies! Sad ending...
June 9, 2013
Extremely riveting and increasinglly disturbing thriller is a true story based on a book by the films central character
who bites off more than he can chew. Not for all tastes.
½ May 27, 2013
An interesting film about serial killers and psychopaths. Based on a true story, the acting is great and the story is thrilling. However it is at times a bit over the top and trite, but overall a strong film.
½ March 23, 2013
A breathtaking and disturbing suspenseful drama. I wonder why film critics took no notice of such a good film.
½ October 12, 2012
William Forsythe is so talented, this movie made me realize how much a gem he is,this based on a true story movie about a college student who contacts John Gacy and nearly loses himself is worth watching.
August 28, 2012
Fact based, and the actor does an actual convincing job of playing John Wayne Gacy.
April 15, 2012
An absolutely thrilling movie. I loved this movie and watch it on rainy days.
½ April 9, 2012
Dear Mr Gacy is the true life story of Jason Moss, an 18-year-old college student at UNLV who established relationships with John Wayne Gacy, Richard Ramirez, Henry Lee Lucas, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Charles Manson as part of his final year thesis. He obtained samples of correspondence from and interviews with these men. The most prolific of these was with John Wayne Gacy.

Played by William Forsythe, Gacy is pure fictional serial killer, rather than the paranoid mumbler he was in real life. He's smooth, charming and witty. He's also sympathetic. You can almost forgive him the 33 murders he committed... Okay that's a lie, but when you put movie-Gacy up against movie-Moss, he almost comes off the victor.

Dear Mr. Gacy is an engaging film, but only if you take everything you watch with a pinch of salt. Moss's memoir, The Last Victim, raised several eyebrows when it first came out, with some arguing that Moss embellished what happened with Gacy.

Whether the writer, Kellie Madison, took this on board and deliberately went out of her way to portray Moss as an egomaniac is debatable. Moss killed himself during the initial production and they only carried on after talks with his fiancee. I find it hard to believe she was told the full story. In Dear Mr. Gacy, Jason Moss (Jesse Moss) is a fidgety ball of angst. No one understands his great plan (which begins with him sending pictures of himself oiled up to Gacy) and as the movie progresses, and he falls under Gacy's spell, he becomes a bit of a shit. He fights with his girlfriend, his parents and even contemplates sending pictures of his younger brother to Gacy in the hopes of getting some sort of exclusive. Bear in mind, that we're talking about a college paper here. When the leads finally meet, you almost cheer as Gacy threatens a bit of violence, such is the sniveling nature of Moss.

As biopics go, this doesn't doesn't really shed any light on the man known as Pogo the Clown, nor does it explain Moss's motives as being any more than a desire for an A grade. All of which is a shame, as otherwise this is a solid effort for a TV movie.
March 3, 2012
This was one of the most amazing, dramatic, emotional and psychological thrillers I have ever seen. Based on the true story about John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer, this is a MUST-SEE. It was so good I bought it on DVD.
½ February 25, 2012
Weird and creepy. The true story is pretty fascinating, and though it's quite apparent that significant dramatic (often melodramatic) license was taken, the resulting film is watchable.