70% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Death of a President Reviews

Thomas J

November 6, 2010
Overall, it was just too much to be enjoyed. Arab suspect, war protesters... just too unimaginative. Now, the use of real footage of Bush and Chaney was interesting in my trying to figure out of that was just public domain material or what. How they used real people, that I am sure did not cooperate in the making of the movie, was the most interesting aspect of this movie.
skactopus
skactopus

August 31, 2008
Death of a President is a fake documentary, not a mockumentary, dealing with a President George W. Bush assassination situation. It has received multiple awards from various film festivals, but I fail to really see why. It can't be because of the highly political topic can it? Anyway, this film also has the R-rating. I assume this R-rating stems from the politics and racism because it sure isn't from the language and violence.Does this film feel like a documentary? Yes, it does. Many different elements come together to create a realistic TV special report. That also means the bore factor for most people will be high. Not even the George W. Bush assassination is enough to keep the interest level up, but yes this is probably the part of the film that most people will be waiting for. It doesn't happen in the beginning either, which is what many will believe. The film actually takes the time to explain the events that lead up to the assassination and then go on to tell the story of the investigation that follows. In that sense, the flow is nicely done.The acting is pretty believable, but other than the fact that you know this is a false documentary, there is still that little something that indicates that the interviewees are actors. Another good aspect of the film is that there are a few characters that speak Arabic. What would an assassination film be without terrorism right? Anyway, Hend Ayoub is the most believable actress in this entire picture.While Death of a President does have an interesting premise, unless you like politics and 90 minute CNN specials, this will not entertain you.
Emily A

March 23, 2008
This movie is SO interesting. The format is a dead-on copy of the contemporary historical documentary I've seen so much of, and the interviewees craft such intricate and nuanced characters. Underneath this brilliant examination of post 9/11 American culture lies a really engaging story. Bush himself is peripheral and his assassination is really just the backdrop for a much more personal narrative. This "documentary" is really something special.
nuheart
nuheart

December 24, 2006
Nice piece of speculative fiction, but it would have been better had the filmmakers actually had an agenda. As it is, it comes off as just a reflection of how corrupt the system is - as if we need reminding?
Mike T

May 6, 2007
Range directs his film with a unique twist and an intelligently original approach to the content. However, the script lacks in subtlety and originality and ultimately comes across as simple-minded and insultingly aggressive. Interesting, but certainly not flawless.
William G

November 7, 2006
Technically admirable, politically level, yet wholly disposable.
Sarah P

August 1, 2007
Creative filmmaking, but was much more interesting leading up to the assasination. The film's premise is a dream come true for many, but doesn't really solve anything.
February 6, 2012
This is a rather interesting (and frightening) thought experiment. The art is in the realism -- I keep forgetting this isn't an actual documentary that I'm watching, or that this hasn't happened. That's a testament to the writing and the general tone, which definitely feels like a 20/20 documentary or some shit about a big event that just happened recently. What's frightening is how plausible everything is following the President's assassination.
July 13, 2008
I personally don't understand why ppl don't like this movie, short of their own stupidity. (That goes for the vast majority of those ppl/users that I have seen making comments about this film on this site and all others.) Are they so embracing of their politically correct conservatism that they just shed all remaining phallic remembrances, that they & so many of them have been hiding for so long, of that political joke and finally unabashedly accept their true cause & purpose in life...

Probably not; stupid ppl are the biggest hypocrites of all! (That political joke is the one where conservatives, ... political, social, religious, & others, and any combination of them including all of them, fake being supporters of political correctness! Conservatives SUPPORT political correctness much more so than those of any other political ideology, including liberals!)

I found this to be an interesting, realistically told, documentary-style film, with believable dramatizations of what such a tragedy would look like if it unfolded. All the actors who were interviewed as former employees, associates, aides, etc., in the Bush Administration expressed a decidedly earnest amount of grief and despair about the assassination, wishing that they somehow could have done something more to prevent it, their attempts to keep such a tragedy from happening in the first place and to do something to keep it from becoming a full-on reality once the reality had clearly started to unfold.

As critic Rick Groen states on the Flixster webpage for this film, "Death of a President is a masterly piece of documentary chicanery that kills George W. Bush without once pandering to his legions of ill-wishers." This film does not give the Bush-haters what they, presumably and/or supposedly, want most of all and in being and in expressing that kind of honest integrity this film shows itself as the masterpiece that it is. Many Bush-lovers have expressed such disgust at this movie as to try to appeal to the opposite end of the spectrum, by saying ..."What are they going to do now, an Obama assassination movie?!!"

Well, if they did it without giving the Obama-haters what they want most of all, if they did exactly that with the exact same amount of grief, tragedy, despair, desperation, sadness and remorse, perhaps! But, is there a market for that?? Certainly Obama is hated by a certain sect of American society, and perhaps even other ppl out there in the world but, ...it is the American public that such a movie would be made, especially here in the US, for! And the ppl that hate Obama don't watch films like most ppl do; they are to busy screaming about conspiracy theory this & conspiracy theory that...

So, perhaps it should be made but, since there is obviously virtually no market for it then it would only serve as a piece of art; a piece of art for arts sake. I can't think of anything, honestly, that has ever been made for that reason & that reason alone! ...which means that said movie will probably not be made and I suppose the Bush-lovers just love that idea bc, now they can adequately play the victim with this issue, too! Just as they have done to everything else that they have been crybaby trolls about, hmm.... that seems fair!
August 21, 2010
A mockumentary about the fictional assassination of President Bush in 2007. Well made with a plausible story line and ending.
August 1, 2010
Death of a President is a fictional documentary about the assassination of George Bush. Oh, if it were true.

They use real footage of interviews, speeches, and appearances, perfectly spliced to form this fake news report. This movie is nearly flawless in its execution.

Why didn't this get more press when it was released? Hmm... maybe they didn't want to give anyone any ideas. That would have been tragic.
November 29, 2008
This movie was in poor taste a movie about the killing of a President while still in office shows very little taste .
p2005jbull
February 4, 2008
Gives you some perception as to the two different sides of a coin. What can we do better and why do we hold one man accountable for everything we have left to understand?
SonnyLighstrome
January 18, 2008
A Very intertesing mockumentary that looks at the event that many over the past 8 years have probably secretly wished for, and the events that would probably follow that action. This is so well put together that it probably would fool one that didn't know it was fake...like an alien or someone coming out of a 10 year coma.
January 2, 2008
It's scary how real they made it seem. It's scary to think that could actually happen. I don't support President Bush whatsoever but I wouldn't want him to die. Crazy real movie.
September 21, 2007
What if, one year from now, President Bush made a speech in Chicago, while outside, there were protestors abound, and while the President was making his exit, someone assasinated him? What would happen next? That is the basis of this fake documentary. It takes place in 2009, two years after the fact, when suspects are pulled, arrested for the wrong reasons, and the real culprit is the one you never expect. The film never insults the audience's intellegence, and if you think the movie is obsessed by the image of the President being assassinated, which by now I think all of you have seen, then you have mistakened yourselves. What makes the film even more interesting is the fact that if this had happened, the outcome would most likely be the same.
August 21, 2007
Skillfully executed (pun intended) mockumentary about George Bush being assassinated in the October of 2007 and the chaos that follows. The use of news footage and existing interviews is pretty seamless as it's woven into the actors portraying members of the staff and other political figures.

Recommended.
xanderearl
July 15, 2007
Kind of scary in its projection for the future. Let's hope Patriot Act III never comes into existance.
June 29, 2007
I had heard all about this recent mockumentary, filmed a few years in the future, that looks back on the assassination of our current president in October of this year. I was fascinated by the fact that we live in a society whose conditions would drive artists to create a fictional death fantasy of the leader of the free world, and then when more research concluded that this film wouldn't see wide distribution I supposed it was because, well, who wants to watch that?

I'll tell you, what I expected in this case was a diatribe on why Bush deserved it, but amazingly it was not really about Bush at all. He was merely the plot point around which bigger, more pressing issues than the perpetually bottom-of-the-barrel approval ratings revolve. It deals much more with racial profiling, with our fear as Americans of hot-button words like "terrorism" and "al-Qaeda," and most importantly, with our hunger for vengeance.

I don't want to spoil too much of the movie, because I think it should be seen. But it's not exactly an upper. I could see this one studied in classrooms in the future.