64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Death Sentence Reviews

TheGame90
TheGame90

November 28, 2010
I don't know....It was both good and bad....but I guess mostly good. John Goodman was pretty cool
Edward B

September 4, 2007
Death Sentence would be the worst movie of the year if it weren't for two people. The first being Kevin Bacon. He creates the character this kind of movie needs. You're everyday man with the perfect family and the perfect job. Anyone can relate to him. But when his son is killed in a random robbery by a vicious gang, he takes it upon himself to enact his own revenge plot against them. It sucks when the judicial system can't help you, but I hear crap like this on the news all the time: scumbags getting off for killing innocent people based on sheer technicality. That's why you can cheer for a guy like this in the movies. It's cathartic.
The second is director James Wan. He doesn't really try to make the horrid screenplay better. He just covers the flaws up in style, flair, and some really hilarious action pieces. The gang members of this movie really are the dumbest gang members in the world, but then again, that can be said about any street gang. While he is often in too much of a hurry to get to the next action scene, he gets the required performances out of the actors. There isn't much to care about, but I think that sort of saves the film.
This is cinematic cheese at its finest, and I'm not hear to watch a story. I want to see dumb asses get their faces blown off by Kevin Bacon and his shotgun.
Matt G

January 24, 2011
Great suspenseful thriller. Pretty graphic but very entertaining.

Grade: B+
familiar s

July 1, 2010
Same old vengeance stuff, only that it's done in a way bit too idiotic & worse this time around. So, if a mindless action flick with a plot that's been done to death (badly executed in this case) sounds interesting/entertaining to you, go for it.
KJ P

January 11, 2010
I have a lot that I could say about this movie, but I will keep it short. This movie was bloody good fun!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 13, 2009
Kevin Bacon, Aisha Tyler, Garrett Hedlund

Nick Hume (Kevin Bacon) is a mild-mannered executive with a perfect life, until one gruesome night he witnesses something that changes him forever. Transformed by grief, Hume eventually comes to the disturbing conclusion that no length is too great when protecting his family.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's a powerful revenge story, and Kevin Bacon does a great job in it. It was a better movie then I had expected it to be. Great action thriller. Definitely a movie that shouldn't be passed up. Love to see it again.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

September 8, 2007
Solid drama-thriller, about a corporate executive (Kevin Bacon), who after the cold-blooded murder of his son, goes on a personal vendetta against the assailants behind the horrific deed. As you may have guessed by now, the story doesn't hold much originality, but it's an exciting film nonetheless, that kept my interest from beginning to end. You could definitely sense it was directed by the same guy who made the first Saw movie, as it has a similiar music score and camera movements. It doesn't always fit what goes on on-screen, but it works for the most part. The only thing that really bothered me was all the illogical character actions. Granted that suffering a major trauma may put your mind into a state of disarray, but many of the choices that Bacon's character makes are flat-out stupid. The ending could have been a little better also. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it was a bit too depressing for my taste. Other than that though, there's not that much to complain about. So if you're in the mood for a good revenge story, this is no doubt a safe pick.
Nicki M

January 25, 2008
Standard straight-to-dvd (I assume), revenge thriller. Was okay till about halfway through when Kevin Bacon turns into a macho tough guy, then just loses all credibility and gets boring as well.
Dan S

October 14, 2007
Overall disappointing. There's a parking garage sequence that deserves its own type of award, but the storytelling could've been sharpened, and John Goodman's character could've been used more. I just didn't really believe the sudden down-spiral Kevin Bacon's character underwent, it just didn't ring true. The ending was all kinds of stupid as well.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 29, 2007
its not a bad filmits got action and kevin bacon does a performance of a lifetime but its like many films where a family member is stricken with grief and wants revenge causing problems foreverone and then causing more hassle for himself so its worth a watch just nothing special
Phil H

September 7, 2007
This is a good flick, it draws you in and makes you really get behind Bacon. You want him to find the gang members and kill them, in a world today where everything is PC and people get away with crimes, this is what most would do and I agree. Its hard hitting, violent and makes you think. All the cast are great and the scenes are all made well, the car park fight being the best. The final gun fight sequence at the end is slightly spoilt by the outcome which is really flat and not right to be honest but this is still great stuff.
DerekA101
DerekA101

May 22, 2008
The only redeeming quality about this movie, for me, is that it was filmed in my hometown of Columbia, SC. It was nice to connect with the sights... but this movie was complete garbage. The beginning reeled you in, then the movie becomes blatantly absurd and unrealistic. You have to believe that there is no justice, no consequences for your actions, all shooters involved have horrible aiming... it is completely UNREAL to the point where it's insulting to watch. However, John Goodman did an amazing job. The father to father dialogue was the best scene in the whole. The graphics for the gunshots was pretty original as well.

Recommendation: Don't bore yourself with this one. If you're in the need, go watch Lucky Number Slevin or Running Scared.
Luke B

December 11, 2008
A film that tries far too hard to be deep despite it's basic malevolent content. It tries to make us see the revenge aspect from all sides, but unfortuately fails where a film such as Sympathy For Mr Vengeance succeeded. It starts off pretty good with Kevin Bacon playing the "everyman" making his quest for revenge more personal and more emotional. The film also does a good job at not going too absurd early on. There are even some inventive sequences such as the car park chase which has a brutal fight in a very slow car. Bacon is never at ease seeking his revenge, each murder hitting him hard. It's later when the film loses it. It goes for style over substance. We are treated to a scene with Bacon obviously not used to guns. A few minutes later and he is wiping a gang out with them. The film starts to focuss more on the violence lingering on gory wounds. With the final shoot out you forget what it is these people are fighting about and the final confrontation becomes absurdly comic. There's enough stuff here to keep your attention and even imagine what a better film it could have been. Going for action over substance is this films major flaw.
Emily A

November 26, 2008
This movie is well made, but not well written. And really, film craftsmanship can't salvage a script that wasn't much good to begin with. If you really like to see brutal violence escalate and drag people down, this is the film for you. Indeed, such grit looks good on camera. But otherwise there's not much of interest here. The characters in this film are flatter than most pancakes I've eaten. The camerawork, character design, sets and costumes are all really impressive to look at, as are the sets. Still these should all stand as the backdrop of an engaging story, not have to carry a film on thier own. This film's good points can't make up for story's ugliness and leaden heaviness. Bit of a shame, really. James Wan could do wonders with a good script, if only he gets one.
Dean !

August 29, 2007
This is a very good revenge action film from the director of Saw, spot the Jigsaw face! The story as with a lot of these films is a bit over the top. Kevin Bacon starts as a calm mild mannered white collar worker who suddenly changes into a raw hate filled father after the death of his son. Pretty handy with a range of guns all of a sudden as well. Apart from that the film is great and has plenty of decent action scenes and some great performances from the two lead characters.
Eric S

August 31, 2008
Brilliant Thriller/Action film. Hume(Kevin Bacon) will stop at nothing when it comes to protecting his family, and seeking revenge.
Bacon's performance is brilliant as usual. An under appreciated actor.
Al S

November 23, 2007
A pulse-racing and heart-pounding adreniline-rush. A classic. It returns to the old school revenge films of the 70's. Riveting, gripping, emotionally charged and unforgettable. Compelling, bone-chilling, intense and incrediably powerful. Kevin Bacon gives a tour de force performance. He gives one of the best performances of his career. An explosive and sensational action-packed edge of your seat thriller. It slams with some great bone-crunching and exciting action sequences. This is Director, James Wan's triumph, trying a new genre differnt from his previous horror films. This film totally grabs you with a very tight grip and dosent let go even till it's devestating and heart-wrenching climax. It's The Punisher in ways only Man On Fire can imagine.
Jani H

July 9, 2008
It's a brutal, violent and disturbing film of a man seeking retribution. Sounds like an excellent film but I'm afraid to say it's not.

The film starts good but halfway it begins to fail and the script takes stupid directions. It just focuses on killing these people. Poorly written onedimensional characters doesn't help the film.

It's well filmed and Kevin Bacon does a good job but WTF? John Goodman is nothing but a joke in this one.

And if you wanna discuss the music here, then you can see how they've made totally wrong song selections during the scenes.

Still it's mildly entertaing and a 21st century "Death Wish"
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 8, 2008
Started out slow but got better after the first hour. John Goodman played the best part. Kind of like a new Death Wish 2008.
Lady D

August 31, 2007
This had the potential to be a really good vigilante, revenge film, with a promising start, sadly the story soon fell into a predictable storyline, with some of the action feeling a little far fetched for the type of film that it was. I also found John Goodman's part pretty laughable.

The whole film seem way over the top, but on a good note, it still held my attention to the end.