44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Death Takes a Holiday Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

September 7, 2011
starts out great, fascinating conceit and frederic march has the right air of underlying menace but the tone is too melodramatic and lead actress evelyn venable is really kind of annoying. it's got a ways to go to be worse than remake 'meet joe black' with brad pitt and anthony hopkins tho
silverwolf1129
July 13, 2008
IF YOU LOVE MEET JOE BLACK, YOU SHOULD SEE THIS.. THIS IS THE ORGINAL... THE REMAKE WITH BRAD PITT WAS EXCELLENT... SO YOU NEED TO WORK THIS..

IT IS ABOUT WHAT THE TITLE SAYS "DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY" AND DURING THIS HOLIDAY NO ONE AN NOTHING DIES... IT IS VERY MUCH A MYSTERY... THE ENDING IS NOT LIKE THAT IN "MEET JOE BLACK"..

YOU NEED TO SEE THIS..
November 19, 2007
I really enjoyed this movie, I think I will watch it again to make sure I still think this highly of it, ist been a while.
PeppermintShrek
March 27, 2007
This is a wonderful movie. And it is kind of a 2 ring circus as many movies are, on one hand 'Death' takes the form of a human and spends time enjoying the company of others at a little resort while around the world horrable events take place without the benefit of death. This movie give you a respect for death, sometimes death is a better option to suffering.
June 14, 2014
Filmed in 1934 and starring Frederic March in a role that helped make him the greatest actor of the early talkies. Clocking in at 80 minutes, this version is far superior to "Meet Joe Black," with a concise script, strong cast and haunting effects. Essential.
June 23, 2013
A timeless classic that deserves a space in your movie collection.

Death Takes a Holiday is now permanently included in my list of All-Time Favorite Movies. The film is unique, morbidly funny, and every scene is just so delicious to watch. To see Death as a human, tasting emotions, questioning his building feelings for a woman, and his leniency or indulgence of human idiosyncracies - it's truly delightful. Each scene I was engrossed, both by the dialogue and acting, as well as the lavishness of the setting that immediately transports me into that world. I also loved the opening credits, quirky fun.

While I have liked Meet Joe Black despite of its flaws & cop out feel-good ending, Death Takes A Holiday is far more superior in its execution.. the script may be a bit stilted, the plot more straightforward and simple, but what made this film better in my opinion is the cast and its morbid humor. Pitt's pretty boy, slightly insipid Death could never compete with March's sexy-in-a-Cary Grant/Sean Connery-way, charming naivete, & charismatic portrayal as Death.
Dave J
December 8, 2010
Wednesday, December 8, 2010

(1934) Death Takes A Holiday
DRAMA

2 time Oscar winner Fredrich March stars as "Death" taking a leave of absence by taking a form of a human being, and then posing as a prince until he falls in love! Extremely strange and unusual film which does a very good job into debating with specific dilemmas and situations and is self-explanatory! Remade two other times, one in 1971 and then again with Brad Pitt as "Death" in 1988 called "Meet Joe Black"!

3 out of 4
jazza923
July 18, 2005
WHAT A FASCINATING PLOT, EXCELLENT ACTING, IT REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.
BeatlesMan11
March 31, 2005
This romantic fantasy is powered by the performance of Friedrich March.