December Boys Reviews

January 25, 2010
I liked it! But it's pretty lacky with the plot!
September 8, 2009
Kinda sweet, but ultimately forgettable. Dan is okay in the angry climax, doofy in the love scene, and really uncoordinated when he's running.
July 26, 2008
Okay, I know what you're thinking 'What the hell is Harry Potter doing in the outback??" But seriously, you guys should give this a chance...I know not everyone would prefer such a film...but I really really really liked it.

Yip, JBitBop...another aussie film that gets a shining gold start from moi. ;]

Some background, perhaps?

This is the story of Maps, Spit, Spark and Misty...four orphans who all happen to have been born in December. Because of this very fact is the basis of their friendship, all of them living in a catholic convent in the outback in about the 60s.

They watch as other little boys get happily adopted into families, and silent seethe with jealousy...knowing deep within themselves that it'll never be them smiling with two new parents. Since it is their birthday, and the convent seemed to have set aside some money to take the boys on a holiday to LadyStar Cove.

After a long road across the arid scenery, they finally get to the sea where they are welcomed by an older couple named Bandy and Skipper. While there, they swim, splash about, climb over the rocks and simply have a good time.

When passing by towards the cove they come across a fair where the 'Fearless Forte' jumps his motorcycle through hoops of fire and death-defying stunts. Being in total awe of this, he discovers that this fearless biker lives just next door to the place they're staying. And meet the couple who are unable to have children, learning that they are looking into adopting one of the four as their own when their holiday draws to a close.

Maps, being the oldest, doesn't seem to worry much about being adopted and instead sets his eyes upon a girl named Lucy.

While the other three compete to show who would be the most likely candidate for adoption. Things happen that test their friendships and then the feelings of rejection seem to drive a bit of a rift between them.

Eventually, these ties become stronger what with the various events that happen in the cove...where they learn what being a December Boy is really about.

The scenery in this simply stunned me, it was vibrant and lively...drawing one further into this endearing story of a bamd of orphans. The acting in here was quite decent, as each Boy portrayed what their names meant behind their titles.

To be honest, the story sort of reminded me of Les Choristes...so therefore anyone who enjoyed that type of story...would enjoy this as well.

Good news avid bookfiends! It's a novel by Michael Noonan...which I have already added to my list as well.
:]
½ July 19, 2008
I usually like coming-of-age stories, and this one is OK too. This one focuses on four orphans who happen into a month-long holiday at the other end of Australia. Of course living at the sea-side with real people around is different than their lives at the orphanage.
deano
September 3, 2007
The outback orphanage (four boys) of the 1950s calls them December Boys is a poignant memoir of friendship and family, outstanding and effective coming-of-age drama I ever watched. Daniel Radcliffe does a wonderful performance in this Aussie film as an older oprhan boy.
ascordeiro108
½ October 31, 2011
It's nothing new and original, it's the same old story about orphans.
Daniel Radcliffe did a good job in the angry bits, but felt a bit awkward acting the love scene.
I liked the ending though.
½ November 16, 2007
Made me cry...Wonderful.
October 4, 2008
Sweet story! The boys in this film were absolutely adorable; I wanted to adopt them all myself!
December 11, 2011
I enjoyed this movie, partly because Daniel is in it xD It was nice and moving, however, forgettable.
October 18, 2007
This was an ok movie. I just wanted to watch it because it had Daniel Radciffe in it and i wanted to see him act in a different movie besides Harry Potter.
June 21, 2010
I think I had a pretty idyllic childhood. We certainly weren't rich - my parents were both civil servants - but my life felt rich. The place and time that I call childhood was simple, warm, and easy. This movie is very much like that. There's a carefree feeling that swept over me when I was watching 'December Boys' that I rarely get from a film. It's nostalgic, yes, and I'm sure the writers and the director were shooting for that. But there's something else, something hard to touch at work here. This wasn't the most challenging role Daniel Radcliffe has had, I'm sure, but it had to have been fun to do. The boys who played the younger three lads Spark, Misty and Spit, were perfectly cast and their performances rang true. Rod Hardy's direction was so unlike that of American directors, and that makes it that much better; the film has a feeling of realness and it seems to come genuinely from the heart. For the most part it's an upbeat movie, but there's tragedy too like the death of the fish Henry and the discovery that one of their hosts has cancer. Life's like that. You take the hard times with the good times, and if your disposition is like mine, you just focus on the good memories. This film will be one of those, for me.
½ December 15, 2008
This is a genuine and heartfelt story of 4 orphans dubbed the "December Boys" because of there birthdays. Its a story of what its like for a young boy growing up and find there way. Very cute and worth the watch!
½ November 27, 2008
I really loved this movie. It was so touching and it shows you that you can always make your own family.
½ March 9, 2008
It was good, a little weird, because Dan was like...17, and the rest of the boys were only like...10. But yeah, it was funny. Misty got on my nerves, my fave was Spark! XD
October 21, 2007
great story, well done. I love how it takes place in Australia. It's absolutely gorgeous! And Daniel Radcliffe's Aussie accent surprised me. It seemed fairly good.
August 8, 2008
This movie is very endearing. It shows just how far the bonds of friendship will stretch. Plus it has Daniel Radcliffe in a very adult role that shows he can be more than Harry Potter.
August 3, 2008
I don't know if you have to be a boy to get this movie, or what, but for me, it was just really flat. I didn't have high expectations going in, but I was curious to see DR in something different. For the direction the movie took, he was quite good, but even in the "intense" spots there wasn't much energy. I think he put it out, it just didn't come across well because the whole thing was dampened down quite a bit.

The story had quite a bit of potential to come across as deep, thought-provoking and engrossing. Too bad, really.
March 15, 2008
In the late 1960's, four close-knit orphans in Australia, called the December Boys because they were all born in the same month, leave their orphanage for a holiday by the sea. Having all but given up hope of ever being adopted, the friends are on a seaside holiday one summer when they hear a rumor that a seaside couple are looking to adopt one of the orphans, friendships are tested and new alliances made as the four boys compete for the chance to gain a real family.
December 21, 2007
it was good, I loved the australian Accents!! lol the Harry Potter Guy is in this! so you should see it
½ February 17, 2008
it was really quiet and my brother wouldn't shut up so it was hard to follow, but it was still a really great movie. i was just a little surprised with the things they did. after all, they're supposed to be orphans raised by nuns, but they sure did sin alot.