Deconstructing Harry - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deconstructing Harry Reviews

½ January 5, 2009
One of the director's darkest, the funny Deconstructing Harry has an incredible script (by Woody Allen, of course) and, as it's customary with his films (and more so with his comedies), an incredible cast. Allen, Hazelle Goodman, Caroline Aaron, Judy Davis and Eric Lloyd stand out in an ensemble that also features Stanley Tucci, Demi Moore, Tobey Maguire, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Billy Crystal and Kirstie Alley.
ScoopOnline
½ December 17, 2009
Harry Block has written a best seller... bout his best friends... he revealed their deepest secrets... and they're not pleased... now Harry Block is going to Hell...
October 25, 2007
The poorly balanced pedantry and disjointedness of this Woody Allen work can be pretty annoying; but some funny bits can compensate that.
½ April 12, 2008
Woody's blend of nihilist, fatalistic, atheistic philosophies is my life.
June 9, 2007
This is an incredibly underrated film by Woody Allen, overlooked for the likes of Annie Hall, which is good but you've gotta admit not spectacular. Allen delves deep into the soul of a messed up, womanizing, pill-popping old writer who steals and colors his own life experiences and throws them into his own novels. This is the first Allen film where the word f-ck is used gratuitously, and while it did take me aback the first few times, it makes way for an edgier, tougher understanding of an entirely different character from Allen's typical neurotics. Judy Davis's hysterics never fail to impress, even in her limited role. There's the expected hilarious one-liners mixed in with some wise, pithy zingers that truly shed some thought on life. I guess it's not for everybody, but I'm sure everybody can agree on Harry lamentation near the end: I'm ODing on myself!
DragonEyeMorrison
½ July 18, 2007
Allen's last good movie, acid and with plenty of dark humour.
½ September 14, 2011
I know Woody Allen is supposed to be this wonderful director, and his movies are studied in college film classes all the time, but I just don't get the attraction. I do see where Larry David gets his inspiration for loud-mouthed, annoying characters who can't seem to shut up. I swear I have tried to like Woody, but he just annoys me far too much. An all-star cast is mostly wasted in this, as the only actor who appears on-screen for more than ten seconds at a time is Woody, a man in love with the sound of his own voice. Please don't ask me to watch any more. I wanted to scream at this guy to just shut up and keep it zipped!
April 25, 2013
Deconstructing Harry is by far Woody Allen's darkest and most revealing movie, and it doesn't exactly paint a flattering portrait of him, but it's also funny (although not his funniest) and has a great cast and interesting style that make it worth seeing for fans of Allen.
February 12, 2010
It might be the darkest and most self hating of Allen's comedies and I mean that as a compliment.
½ June 7, 2008
Woody Allen goes darker but doesn't skimp on quality.
November 28, 2009
Woody Allen's proof that he is repeating himself can be found in the ironic (and iconic) "Deconstruction" of himself here. At least he's repeating himself by using some philosophical, albeit honest humor.

What is amazing in this film is how the whole cast tries so much to live up to the director's expectations, while he is obviously indifferent on how his on screen persona tears everything up. Woody Allen enjoys deconcstructing himself, when everyone around him doesn't, and this is so obvious that you want to scream to him: "get ouf of the fucking film, already- aren't there actors out there who would be so much better in playing you?".

I can't really, for the life of me, understand why he hasn't stuck to writing scripts, which is his actual talent.
½ November 12, 2009
Allen's best. His characteristical lack of structure and creativity slash madness have more sense here than in any other of his comedies. Also, it's his darkest and funniest.
zdravkoduck
April 26, 2009
Man, one of Woody Allens best I've seen so far (I'm making it a goal to see as many as i can before i perish) How do we begin? Woody Allen plays a neurotic...umm.....Woody Allen stars as Woody Allen the writer. Characters ga-FUCKING-lore man, lot's of hysterical women.. the scene in hell was the best. Woody Allen films (the ones i've seen ofcourse) are never really hysterical and i think that's the point.. I would just like to see the world through his eyes..that's all.
divinetrash
November 10, 2008
My personal favorite Woody Allen film and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's great in every single aspect.
August 19, 2007
Lively, well-paced and chock-full of fragmets of Allen's sharp imagination. There is an R-rated edge that is not proper to his style, but it just adds a certain bite to his material, which, by the way, is a tad more angrier than most of his others. The humongous cast Allen put together works brilliantly, as always, and... well, there's not much else to say. It's very, very good, once again.
½ July 19, 2006
Probably my favorite Allen movie. Great performances by the wide cast.
June 12, 2015
Unashamedly crass, especially for Woody Allen, but "Deconstructing Harry" is still a smart, sometimes serious-sometimes funny contribution to his trade.
June 16, 2014
Funny, provocative and extremely delicious, one of the riskiest comedies of Woody Allen brings a fleeting script and harsh interpretations and a nimble cast. Again, Woody Allen surprises his audience and brings an ironic and stunning story in "Deconstructing Harry"
November 12, 2013
Woody Allen makes a dark and funny film about a novelist who has long written books based on his own experiences and alienated many along the way. It sort of feels like a reworking of Allen's earlier "Stardust Memories". Much like that film, it is more of a dark comedy than a zany comedy or straight drama...which is why I guess neither film is as loved as "Annie Hall" or "Hannah and Her Sisters" . I think this is a solid Allen effort, it runs through his usual themes and topics, but in a unique way that sets it apart from some of his other films, while remaining truly Woody Allen-esque.