Deliver Us From Evil Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
December 3, 2012
Deliver Us From Evil is a necessary documentary that needed to be made. The film takes a look at Father O'Grady, a priest who during the 1970's and early 1980's raped dozens of children. He was moved to different parishes in an attempt by the church to conceal his crimes. O'Grady is a dangerous man, one that is the lowest form of filth on this earth. Director Amy Berg crafts a solid, gripping and provoking documentary. This is a hard film to watch and Amy Berg does a great job at uncovering this dark subject and it's a film that should be seen because of the fact priests are supposed to be trusted, and many do trusts them, and O'Grady has used his powers as a priest to get involved with his victims. This is hard to watch and there's plenty of graphic discussion about the crimes themselves, and it's not a film for everyone due to its subject. The film is heart wrenching as we see families get their lives ruined by someone they trusted. Deliver Us From Evil is a well made documentary and it is eye opening, with interviews and firsthand accounts about the crimes. In terms of a documentary, this is a must see film. Amy Berg has crafted a fine film that exposes the lengths of the church to hide the truth. With that said, while viewing this film, I can see why many people don't trust priests. The church is not what it all seems, and Amy Berg makes a good point with this well made documentary that you won't soon forget. Hard, but necessary viewing.
December 19, 2010
If whatever is shown in this film is true, it's weird to know that churches are better off serving the devils than helping the victims. 'Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind' would have been appropriate for this flick.
January 26, 2009
A powerful and thought provoking piece of work that tackles the hypocrisy of not religion, but organised religion. It is disturbing and will stay with any viewer long after they have seen it. The films real success comes in Oliver O'Grady who talks about his crimes in such a matter of fact tone, that it is clear to see he in no way is capable of understanding the repercussions of his actions.The protection he has been offered has been to protect the Catholic Church and not it's followers. The victims and their families testimonies are truly emotional. It is informative, fascinating and very bleak. A rare film that simply had to be made.
November 6, 2008
not a film i could recommand because of the subject matter.This is a shocking and well made docu and open up my eyes.Very unpleasant in places not in any graphic form just the descipions used by the victims and really make you sorry to see these victims come to teams with what as happened to them over the years!!!!
½ July 14, 2007
This is a very, very powerful and unsettling documentary about the molestation of children by Catholic clergy, focusing mainly on Oliver O'Grady, who throughout his tenure as a priest molested and raped dozens of children by gaining the trust of their families and then betraying it in the worst possible way, and how the Catholic church refused to take any disciplinary action against him or attempt to tackle his problem, instead moving him from parish to parish, thus allowing him to continue ruining the lives of several families. The documentary is extremely well made, and it was most effective because it focuses primarily on O'Grady and his victims for most of the running time, instead of being too ambitious and trying to tackle the larger issue the entire time. It does take on the larger issue by association, though, and directly in the last quarter of the film. It show the immense courage of the victims, and of certain members of the church like Thomas Doyle to attempt to tackle the issue, which has been covered up and ignored for so long, by people as high as the Pope. This an eye-opening, powerful, must-see documentary for everyone, including catholics.
½ March 4, 2007
Haunting.
½ February 10, 2012
The greater documentary ever made and I'll try to leave personal views out of this but it'll be hard to with the strong opinions I have on the catholic churches handling of child molestors. The statistics in this film were shocking. For example one of ten priests graduate from St Paul are registered pedophiles. The stories are chilling. A priest inserting his gentile inside 9 month old infants vagina among dozens of others and bishops knowingly sending him to different parishes with children a shocking four times. The way Amy Berg flows through this movie leaving nothing out will hurl your stomach inside out. And at the end you still feel like justice wasn't served. This movie has solidified my idea that the high anarchy of the catholic church are just corrupt executives who will do anything to make there business look good.
November 28, 2010
Its difficult to determine who is the worse monster, Oliver O'Grady who sexually assulted hundreds of children (some even infants) or the leadership of the Catholic Church who went at great lengths to cover up the crimes of him and countless others in the priesthood. Either way, this documentary highlights one of the major reasons I don't go to church anymore.
April 14, 2009
"I asked her if he touched her. And she said 'yes'. And then my whole world collapsed." A powerful and extremely disturbing documentary, told in a straightforward manner. That sexual abuse of children happens within the Catholic Church is not news, but what is shocking is the continual and systematic failures inherent in the clergy 'system', which in the case of Father Oliver O'Grady meant that some of his victims were denied a voice, let alone any justice, for more than three decades. It's especially horrific that the church knew of O'Grady's predilection but chose to do next to nothing about it.
October 10, 2007
If this movie doesn't make you angry, there is something wrong with you.Unfortunately it should have never had to be made.
½ May 20, 2007
Priest molestation doc is nothing short of devastating.
½ August 15, 2007
Disturbing. Father O'Grady's smug smile and matter-of-fact account of his abuse of several young children seems to expect us to understand and forgive.
May 13, 2007
Must see for everyone.
August 1, 2007
When people ask me what's wrong with organized religion and blind faith, included near the top of my list, I will instruct them to go see this film. This only cements my belief that, among other things, the catholic church is like a corporation concerned only with their bottom line.
½ February 16, 2013
Watching this documentary, and especially the interviews with Father O'Grady, is so much more disturbing than any piece of fiction could ever be. This is a real monster victimizing children, and it was allowed by a group that was claiming to do God's work.
June 26, 2008
Truly disturbing on many levels, particularly confessions by O'Grady. Both frightening and bewildering as to the actual abuse and the fact that it continues to be rampant and allowed. I must say I have to agree with filmmakers, even though I consider myself to be a Catholic that priests should be allowed to marry. I have heard that argument before and I don't really get why it isn't allowed. I think it's a problem to begin with trying to impose a human being to celibacy for life, when that's unnatural to our being. We are social creatures and need touch and affection. Not only does it in some way breed pedophiles, but I think it encourages pedophiles to join because of their access to children. O'Grady is obviously very messed up and not really comprehensible to his own actions. I don't like that he tries to blame the church for some of it, if they only stopped transferring me blah blah... Ultimately the blames lies with you sir and your guilty conscience told you that from the get go and I'd like to have seen him take more responsibility, compassion for his victims, and some semblance of regret. A lot of the movie he is giving a weird smirk and isn't in touch with the gravity of the situation. I'm sure his own molestation plays a part in this and how he still doesn't understand his inappropriateness. Really like trying to reunite with the victims and thinking a prayer or handshake will be in order afterwards...really? I feel so bad and sympathize for the victims of the movie and their families. At the same time I'm strengthened by their courage and dedication to help others. What the Catholic Church has done is inexcusable and that Mahoney guy is just as disgusting as pedophiles with his complete knowledge and power of the problem and yet complete ignorance to deal with it. At least, this stuff is starting to come to the surface because it needs to be dealt with. As far as the film goes, directing is solid with lots of raw emotion, informative statistics and commentary, and solid progression with the narration. For anyone who has had sexual abuse, this film is both angering and relate-able.
May 2, 2010
Content wasn't shocking. But it was still an impressive film and it's about time more people get to be aware of such issue.
March 29, 2010
If you think that attention hasn't already been forced on but rejected by the Catholic church regarding pedophile priests, check out this film from 2006.
March 11, 2010
Very interesting, and I would imagine even more so for those raised in a strictly Catholic household and/or who followed the priest scandals that happened not all that long ago.