97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

May 16, 2013
Nice movie....
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
The music, so vividly emphasized, made this film more of a musical in itself than a biopic of Cole Porter, a man whose life was riddled with rumors, infidelities, and the his love for his soulmate, Linda. In short, it was almost a musical written by Oscar Wilde.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

December 13, 2008
The acting and music are really good, but focuses way too much on his homosexual interests and weird-as-hell personal life. God bless Ashley Judd.
Lafe F

August 15, 2007
A sad movie. Not my favorite type of music. It's well acted by Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd.
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 5, 2007
good performances and of course great music but the story just a little less fictional than the one told in Night and Day
sainttom93
sainttom93

January 14, 2007
I was particularly impressed that Kevin did his own singing
meril l

November 19, 2007
An excellent homage to the great music of the past. I wish biography movies could be made without seeing the whole thing as flashbacks from the POV of the main character, it worked pretty well here (though as it usually does, it seemed unnecessary).
banzaibrother
banzaibrother

April 30, 2011
Irwin Winkler hit it out of the ballpark with this one. Wonderful performances by Kevin Kline as the musical legend Cole Porter. Ashley Judd was spectacular as Porter's wife. The music is absolutely fantastic with appearances by Sheryl Crow, Natalie Cole, Elvis Costello, Diana Krall and Alanis Morrisette. Popcorn bag goes to Kevin Kline who brought depth and dimension to the Cole Porter character.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd are perfection in this movie.
Marion R

January 21, 2008
The songs were great, but I just didn't care about what was going on. Interesting presentation.
Sarah P

October 20, 2007
Very similar movie to "Beyond the Sea" - just not that great.
Ina S

April 19, 2006
The movie itself is somewhat unspectacular, the plot too crammed and it could have been substantially more daring. But the musical brilliance and good performances make for an enjoyable 2 hours anyway.
April 4, 2014
My first mistake was that I thought I was watching "Beyond the Sea," the Bobby Darin biopic that was released around the same time, My second mistake was that, once I realized my mistake, I was hoping for a Cole Porter biopic. Instead, I found a musical about the struggles of being a homosexual in a heterosexual marriage... Needless to say, "De-Lovely" was a big disappointment. I do like the presentations of Porter's music by popular singers of the modern age (particularly Alanis Morissette singing "Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)" and it is magic to see this composer watching the first performance of "Anything Goes," but that's where the positives of this film end. I would love it if it showed the history and inspiration of each famous hit (a la "The Glenn Miller Story"), but the musical numbers are merely used as interludes between various moments in Porter's personal life. The best part of the film is the "So In Love" sequence, because it actually takes the time to tell the story behind the song and it becomes beautifully meaningful. Kevin Kline is good, but not good enough to save this film. "De-Lovely" strikes me as the type of film that took itself too seriously in anticipation of winning several Oscars, only to find itself without a single nomination. I love Cole Porter's music, but I would recommend watching any of his musicals in lieu of sitting through this one.
June 16, 2006
De-Lovely does something for Cole Porter's songs that very few of Porter's musicals actually do: it gives those songs context. I've occasionally blogged about this before, but for me, musicals are most effective when the songs are given context within the plot. While so many of the songs in this show are sung at moments when they wouldn't need to be contextual (singers at clubs, rehearsing shows, characters performing at parties), whoever chose the songs chose well, because each one of those songs shines with context. The songs become poignant because of the story. I am not a Cole Porter fan, but I found myself very drawn to many of the songs in this movie, songs that I never have liked before. I am usually quite bored by "So In Love," and here I found it unbelievably sad and beautiful and moving. While the most transcendent musical numbers happen much too late in the movie for me to rank it very high, it still managed to make me at least like most of the songs. And this is why I love musicals. The story by itself is not that special. The songs by themselves are not that special. But when you combine the two, you get something very touching.
May 13, 2012
An excellent homage to the great music of the past. The acting and music are really good. Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd are very good in this movie.
October 17, 2008
The movie was very well done, but, I saw it right after Beyond the Sea...and since I didn't dig the music as much and the story of Cole Porter just isn't all that interesting to me....I just thought it was okay.
dredzag
June 2, 2007
If youre a Cole Porter fan then this is a must see. Loved the cameo's of contemporary singers putting their signatures on Cole Porters work.
WrellikW
July 28, 2008
I like this movie! It's a good love story about Cole Porter and the love of his life, Linda Porter, his wife. This movie has wonderful music, performed by great artists. I like this movie and highly recommend it!
insanenutball
July 10, 2008
i thought Kevin Kline was awesome in this role of Cole Porter...loved the soundtrack too..yet another performance that academy missed on to consider ...when will they ever learn???!?