20% The Identical Sep 05

07/07/2012 (MP4, PS3)
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
really fun if not silly action flick.
blkbomb
blkbomb

December 14, 2011
Zachary Lamb: Simon Phoenix is an old fashioned criminal. We need an old fashioned cop.

"The future isn't big enough for the both of them."

Demolition Man is one of those weird movies that I can't decide whether I like or not. Parts at me shaking my head in disgust, mostly when the characters talked, but in the end I wasn't angry with it at all. I, for the most part, enjoyed myself. The film is highly entertaining and has some cool ideas. It also has some extremely stupid and silly ideas too. Like the three seashells; I know it is supposed to be humorous, but really?  The action stars, Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes are a lot of fun to watch. When they are in their action sequences, they are at their best. When they talk, they are at their worst, but it is still somewhat fun because of how ridiculous they sound.

Stallone plays a cop named Spartan, who has the nickname Demolition Man. The nickname comes from the cliche idea that he doesn't play by the rules. He destroys whatever he needs to. He has been trying to catch a ruthless killer, Phoenix, for some time now. When he finally does catch him, things still end up going wrong and he lands himself in prison too. Now prison isn't what we know it to be. Him and Phoenix are frozen in order to serve their sentence. While they are frozen, they are also give rehab. Not really sure how that works, but we'll go with it. Phoenix escapes custody during a parole hearing and starts going nuts on a now crime-less country thirty some years later. In this new country you can't curse or eat junk food. Anything unhealthy is illegal. In order to catch the madman, they unfreeze Spartan also. So from there it is a cat and mouse game.

As much as I would like to describe just how bad this movie is, I can't. It was just too entertaining to talk badly about. Another saving grace for the film is a young Sandra Bullock. Damn was she hot back in the 90's. When she was asking Spartan if he wanted to have sex, I was yelling at the screen, "Yes!" She does give a pretty fun, if at times hard to watch, performance also. She plays a bored cop that loves old action movies and really wants to see some action.

I recommend watching Demolition Man if you can tolerate stupidness in the midst of great action. It doesn't reach the stupidity level of a movie like Cobra, which is a plus.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
A bit of a guilty pleasure film from the time when Stallone was still a convincing action hero. The premise is actually quite fun: in the future villains are frozen for their crimes. And once crime is eradicated and one of the baddies wakes up, you need an old-fashioned cop. Of course that's a role for Stallone, who doesn't take himself or the world he is "born into" too seriously. Snipes also had obviously a lot of fun playing the bad guy. The humor works wonders for the film, while the action is more or less standards. It's the little details of this future world and the many references that make this film quite fun, after all.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is a sadly maligned and underrated sci-fi action film. Don't get me wrong: it's not that great, but it's not that bad either. It deals with some cool and interesting concepts, and the action is just awesome. Unfortunately some people can't take it very seriously. Not that it's supposed to be stone cold serious, but it's not just a brainless romp, either.
KJ P

July 7, 2010
The perfect action film from the year I was born:) I loved this movie from start to finish. Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes, and Sandra Bullock are the perfect addition to this movie, and act well to their broad talent. Never let's up on enjoyment, and dazzles with 2030's futuristic events. What an incredible movie is made of at it's top form.
Conner R

May 16, 2010
Just a great movie that knows exactly how to blend a small touch of satire and social commentary with great action and comedy. Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes are a great pair that know how to please viewers. It is just so unbelievably fun that you can't help but love it. While Sandra Bullock didn't really work as a female lead, she still doesn't ruin the overall feel. I think it's basically what they were trying to attempt with the Judge Dredd movie and it worked wonderfully.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 24, 2008
Just another fantastic Stallone film. :) I love the acting chemistry between everyone especially between Stallone & Bullock. :)
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Diabolical man! Oh, but I like Sandra Bullock. A star for her!
Jon L

September 16, 2009
Good futuristic sci-fi. I liked this movie a lot because of the actors and the hard hitting fight scenes. The interpretation of the future is also a nice touch.
Phil H

February 18, 2008
This was cool when it first came out, a big action blockbuster with a decent cast. It is cool and the future effects are nice but its very daft and sooooo needs to have Arnie in it instead haha Snipes makes the film really, the rest is naff including a very annoying Bullock. It could have been a really awesome hard action flick but its just not quite there, alittle bit B-movie, the sets look like sets and it rips on other films too much. Just needed some quality. A better Stallone film though.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 10, 2007
i liked this movie its funny and entertaining and action packed and sly is greeat and so is sandra its really good storyline and a genrally really good film reli worth a watch!
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
A dumb fun action movie. What more could you ask for?
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 26, 2008
80's action and friendly-liberal 90's collide with mixed results.
garyX
garyX

January 1, 2007
After a succession of painfully po-faced ego-trips in the 80s, Sly finally took a leaf out of Arnie's book and grew a sense of humour in this reasonably enjoyable comic strip sci-fi. He plays John Spartan, a tough guy cop thawed out in the future to stop an amusingly gleeful psychopath in the form of Wesley Snipes. There are plenty of jokes at the expense of the whole "politically correct" ethos and some mild social satire, including one of Dennis Leary's familiar rants. Sandra Bullock also appears as his endearingly innocent sidekick who shows him the ropes of living in the future, almost like an action man version of Sleeper. Not a world changer, but it's a damn sight more palatable than most of Stallone's work and Sandra looks damn fine in uniform!
TheGame90
TheGame90

December 21, 2007
It was good but not great
skactopus
skactopus

October 14, 2007
Stallone vs. Snipes. Actually sounds pretty good right? Well this film does take place in the future, but I wouldn't say it is pretty good. It is mediocre at best.As I previously mentioned, the film takes place in the future and the story isn't too bad. It actually lives up to its title "Demolition Man," which is a good thing. Although the film did have some interesting concepts for the future, like getting a ticket every time someone swore, the writing for this film is pretty bad. There is no background for any of the main characters and the dialogue is just ridiculous. It is funny the way Sandra Bullock always calls John Spartan (Stallone) by his full name each time, but by the end of the film you would think it would stop. It doesn't.The acting is everything you would expect from everybody in here. In other words, it is OK. Not great. Sylvester Stallone does fit his character well, action-wise, but in the non-action scenes the acting could have been better. Sandra Bullock is her usual self and Benjamin Bratt is just plain weird. The only exception to the mediocre acting is Wesley Snipes who plays a psycho-killer nicely. The fact that he looks like Dennis Rodman also helped. In a good way.The action scenes are a plenty and they are pretty good. You can thank Wesley's fighting skills for the most part.This isn't the greatest action, sci-fi, or futuristic film by any means, but it does have some interesting concepts and is worth the watch if you're a fan of Stallone's action movies.So, how do you use the three seashells?
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 28, 2007
I love this movie, as much as I love the three sea shells.
Dean !

June 3, 2007
A good fun futuristic action film. Snipes is very funny in this, has some cool martial art scenes as well. Also stars Sandra Bullock, one you can watch over many times.