Derailed Reviews

April 23, 2008
The fear of the inner city dirt and grit and slime exploited bigtime with this cautionary tale about a innocent and na´ve businessman (?!?) seduced into an affair that explodes in his face quite literally. Everyone performs okay, only wanting for common sense from the script in this okay thriller.
January 4, 2008
Rewatched last night after many years. I actually could remember the twist in this one, and actually it's glaringly obvious anyhow, which I don't recall it being first time around.
Still a good movie. Jennifer Aniston does a good job here. And quite different to some of the fluff she's normally associated with (not a criticism - I've enjoyed a lot of it over the years. I actually do think she's a good and quite versatile actress).
I did have to suspend disbelief quite a few times with some of the things that happen- seemed way too easy. Particularly what happened at the very end - as if someone would get away with that. Ditto to the hotel scene (second one).
But decent thriller. Well cast and looks good.
April 8, 2012
So I was gonna watch the JCVD thriller called 'Derailed' but after the first five minutes I realised I had the wrong film haha so I stuck with this despite Aniston being involved.

Honestly I was pleasantly surprised with this thriller, you don't think its a thriller and you don't see the quite decent twist in the plot, but its actually pretty good. I won't go into the plot for fear of spoiling it but its all about double cross, setups, scams...basically naughty lying laced with blackmail.

Bottom line the film is carried by an excellent performance from Cassel who is really quite evil looking and convincingly aggressive. His scrawny frame is deceiving as is his change in character to get into Owen's life which gives him the kind of presence that sends shivers down your spine, the fact that he won't stop makes him nasty and scary.

Owen does a good job as the husband in dire straits as he battles against the demands of Cassel's character, he looks the everyman and plays it well. Unfortunately Aniston simply cannot shake her comedic background and just cannot convey a decent performance in drama as far as I'm concerned, she just isn't convincing, purely a TV actor period.

For some reason someone thought the casting of 'Xzibit' and 'RZA' was a good move for this film, errrr no, they add nothing in their roles and I don't understand why they were even considered when simple more toned down characters would have been better. And can someone explain to me whenever these 'musicians' are cast in films the end credits always seem to role with a lame rap song? is that part of their deal or something!? completely wrong choice of music for the end credits here, totally ruins the feel.

From a slow start which feels like its gonna be crap to a pretty good thriller which does get you involved as the plot gets deeper. I didn't see the plot U-turn and it really makes things interesting as you root for Owen's character, before that its a little annoying as you tend to blame Aniston for his ever mounting problems but after the twist you see why.
August 3, 2006
Thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish, good performances alll round, particularly from Vincent Cassel, but more shockingly, a good performance from Jennifer Aniston as a serious role.

I watched this film, knowing nothing about it and having not even seen a trailer and I'm glad, because I had no expectations of it and it left it unpredictable.
November 25, 2009
I actually really liked this and it's a great improvement on the bland novel. Clive Owen played his part perfectly along with Vincent Cassel, who played the ultimate slime ball. It was a decnt thriller wirth a lot to love. It has a lot of great twists and turns and great characters.
August 13, 2006
It's one of the smartest, sexiest, stylish and most intriguing thrillers in years. A riveting first-rate suspense thriller. It will have you on the edge the whole time and hit you with unpredictable twist and turns. A thrilling, pulse-pounding and adrenline-pumping ride that has you going right to the very end. Clive Owen is a knockout. Jennifer Aniston is great. Vicent Cassel is devilshly charming and electrifying.
cosmo313
½ June 9, 2006
Passable thriller that starts out good, but slowly unravels as it goes on. I liked it, and found myself entertained, even though it is flawed and isn't completely airtight.
½ June 13, 2006
This thriller starts out really slow, showing how two strangers are so curious about each other that they risk their marriages and start an affair. Everything beyond that is quite a surprise. Not only do things speed up and take quite a few twists and turns, it's just extremely entertaining to see the noose tighten around Clive Owen's neck, who is giving another very convincing performance as leading man. Another big asset of the film is Vincent Cassell who is a really threatening bastard once again. The regularly recurring theme of trains and trams is interesting to follow as well. The surprising and clever ending finishes a satisfying thriller experience that may not reinvent the genre but delivers what it is setting out to be.
sanjurosamurai
½ March 27, 2007
good flick. the twist was a little predictable and its hard to root for anyone in this film, even clive owen, but it was very entertaining. the last 15 minutes of the film didnt need to be there, the film would have ended better at the hotel shoot out, but overall a solid film.
January 10, 2008
A well done, but overall flawed thriller. If you see it, see it for Vincent Cassel's extraordinary performance, he's nothing short of remarkable as the villain here. Its a very good movie for the most part, with a twist inserted about 3/4 of the way through that is both clever as well as unexpected. What brings the film down into "average", or, what I call "Lucky Number Slevin" territory when it comes to decent thrillers, is its inability to know how to end. Instead of cutting back time and ending on a sound note, it keeps going, launching into one last twist that proves to be both fake and poorly thought out. Its a great movie for 3/4 of the way through, but the ending was lacking big time.
May 10, 2008
It starts off okay, but it derails after a while. Ordinary and predictable thriller with some few intense moments.
FiLmCrAzY
½ October 28, 2007
i really wanna see it
April 29, 2007
A cool, classy, sexy thriller. The twist will surprise some but many will see it a mile off.
½ June 11, 2008
Underrated thriller. Hitchcock lite, but that's still pretty good!
ajaymuthecooldevils
May 26, 2006
I wanted to watch this movie for been pretty long time since I know that this movie will have Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston as their main character... The story itself so simple, but make pretty well so it can be a pretty good movie... Actually, the praising thing should go to Avy Kaufman... Because she did a great job for choosing the right cast for this movie... Clive Owen as a father who have a sick daughter and try to have an affair with another girl.. Yet, he was know that he was played so he change from the good man to the bad man because he wants a vengeance... And choosing Jennifer Aniston as an innocent girl who particularly is the bad one was a great job... Jennifer is having the 'good girl' face so everybody who watch this movie wouldn't even have a bad thought about her.. And Vincent Cassel, he's great too... He played well as a bad France people... A pretty good movie with great cast!!!
November 11, 2007
I heard bad things about this movie, but, once I saw it for myself, I didn't think it was too bad at all.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 2, 2007
This is a finely crafted thriller with a great story, believable characters, evocative settings and scenery, and yes, even a few well-placed chuckles. The acting is, for the most part, quite good--Jennifer Aniston did not once make me think of Rachel Green from 'Friends,' and the Wu Tang Clan's RZA as Winston was a welcome surprise.

'Derailed' has received many unfairly negative reviews, in my opinion. Check it out and decide for yourself.
½ May 13, 2007
A serviceable thriller/star vehicle. This movie would be a fart in the wind without Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston, and neither of them are really at their best here. I mean, Clive Owen can do no wrong, but the character is just too ordinary.

The plotting is usually strong, but there are some fundamental issues with character logic that really drain away your sympathy. So Jennifer Aniston doesn't wanna come forward with the whole situation - okay. But when Clive Owen's family is put into the crossfire, do we really believe that he's going to endanger them to help this woman who is a relative stranger? It just doesn't make sense. Stuart Beattie, the screenwriter, did a good job dancing around a tricky premise, but he does trip up here and there. The characters just have stupid tendencies - no questions asked.

It's a relatively well-done movie, but I'll be damned if I remember it a week from now.
March 3, 2007
Pretty solid thriller, yet a bit on the predictable side.
October 16, 2006
Clive Owen is a brilliant actor. Jennifer finally plays a role where shes not the good , goofy girl that rescue some dumped guy.
Vincent Cassel is good a very good French actor, finally seen on American screens.
The movie is excellent and shows how seeking a bit of fun when the marriage hits a rough patch can turn up to be very costly.