Desk Set

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Desk Set Reviews

Jennifer X

July 4, 2011
What I really appreciated in this movie was that Hepburn was like - what, 50? - and Tracy approaching 60, and they could still create a magic movie that never, ever alludes to their age (which modern studio execs, particularly Nancy Meyers, would absolutely leap on). Also, I think that Joan Blondell is a ton of fun. It's nice to know she held onto her spark til the end.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Even people today can relate to the problems of modernization in the workplace, which is what this movie deals with, but in a humourous way. Hepburn and Tracy are great together as always, and this movie is a lot of fun.
Red L

July 24, 2010
It is always fun to watch Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Imagine a movie about a computer replacing staff researchers!

Actually, the movie is a bit silly. Of course, Tracy and Hepburn fall for each other, so the computer story-line is only a side issue.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 30, 2007
the best of the tracy-hepburn movies with a wonderful supporting cast. Did Joan Blondell ever give a bad performance?
Michael G

October 26, 2006
A very fun and very dated movie--which is a lot of the charm for me.
Daniel P

November 28, 2010
The performances of Tracy and Hepburn - and sometimes the writing - make Desk Set an addictive watch, but to be totally frank it's also a pretty awful film and the computer angle must have seemed ridiculous even in 1957.
Sunil J

April 25, 2008
Katherine Hepburn's character is a little pathetic at time the way she clings to this loser guy but this is a really good movie wtih some very sharp humor.
March 20, 2008
Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn never did a bad film together. Desk Set is a sophisticated, light-hearted comedy that leads to the inevitable but ever refreshing romance angle between our two leading stars. The supporting cast is excellent and this almost qualifies as a holiday delight.

Richard Sumner (Tracy) is planning on moving his hi-tech machinery into a reference department office that will replace Bunny Watson (Hepburn) and her three co-workers.
Clockwise
May 8, 2007
This movie is just fun and enjoyable. It's got fun and intelligent characters and funny parts and scenes and stuff. I enjoy watching it.
unclebusu
March 12, 2007
Made 50 years ago, Desk Set still holds as one of the best comedy/romantic comedy films ever. Tracy and Hepburn are the best. I never pass this one up when it is on tv. I'm not sure what the major appeal of the flick is, but I f*cking love the idea of where they work. In the research department of a company! Now, we have endless info at every desk, but back then you had to call your research dept. and wait til they found the answer for you. I'm such a library nerd, but I love the idea of that. That is a career I could get behind!! Spruce bug worm research rocks!!
March 5, 2007
I love this movie!! I try to watch it every time it's on! Gotta love Katherine and Spencer in this one
joycefricken
November 11, 2006
I wonder if office Christmas parties were really as wonderful as they seemed to be in old movies.
I'd like to think so.
June 8, 2006
One of the best Hepburn and Tracy comedies out there. This one makes me smile quite a lot. If you can hunt up a copy of this one, I highly recommend it.
January 31, 2014
Not only are the leads way too old, but the story's not very memorable.
KevinRobbins
December 18, 2013
I don't like cats. I like men and so do you.

Bunny Watson dates a reporter and has worked in a television broadcast research department for years. She has been waiting for her boyfriend to propose to her for over seven years, but he doesn't seem to be moving in that direction. Richard Sumner is an engineer that has been assigned to computerize Bunny's department to save time and reduce resources. Bunny will stop at nothing to make life difficult for Richard but she may fall in love in the process.

"You don't care if you impress people or not, do you?"
"Wait till you get my bill. You'll be impressed."

Walter Lang, director of The King and I (1956), The Little Princess (1939), State Fair, There's No Business like Show Business, Coney Island, Greenwich Village, Tin Pan Alley, and The Ladybird, delivers Desk Set. The storyline for this picture is just okay but the character development and dialogue is excellent. The acting is first rate and the cast includes Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Gig Young, Joan Blondell, and Dina Merrill.

"There's something about the way you wear that pencil in your hair that screams money."

I DVR most of Spencer Tracy's pictures because he has an amazing way of displaying grit and charm within the same character. It's funny how he portrays the loving, carefree old man in a way that seems to be relatable to someone in anyone's life. He always seems like a cool guy and his chemistry with Katherine Hepburn is legendary within the industry (they made several movies together). Overall, this isn't Tracy's or Hepburn's best film, but it is above average and entertaining.

"I don't understand what you're saying but it sounds great."

Grade: B-
Diego Tutweiller
March 9, 2013
The onscreen couple of Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy has been seen a thousand times already, and it's painful to slog through. Other movies have done it better, with practically no change in the plot.
K. C.
June 17, 2011
If great is the norm...

Tracey and Hepburn certainly hit it again. Not that these two ever made a bad movie together anyway. Not as involved as 'Adams Rib' or 'Woman of the Year', it simply plays out, a light hearted yarn where we get to watch them play.

A great Saturday afternoon comedy.
Nancy O.
June 9, 2011
A thoroughly entertaining tale of business and romance carried on the charming back and forth of it's two leads. It's fascinating how issues in regards to technology raised in a film almost fifty years old can still feel current so many years later (although computers have obviously come a long way).
December 19, 2010
This is a cool xmas movie, about when Katherine Hepburn was a human search engine....
KB5
May 12, 2010
Perfect! Just the right amount of wit and humor, all wrapped up with good writing.

But really, it is Hepburn and Tracy that bring it to life with their wonderful acting and relaxed camaraderie.