Destination Tokyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Destination Tokyo Reviews

April 23, 2008
As thick with outright propaganda as KFC chicken has grease, yet and still entertaining take on a submarine mission into enemy waters. It was made during wartime, yah, and nobody really knew yet which way the ball was bouncing, and so many "rah! rah!" scenes can be forgiven, as well as the many character caricatures. I had the thought while watching that the intended audience for this was not the men fighting the war - cause they already were doing that - but rather explicitly for the women anxiously waiting for the outcome. That thought added much to the entire film.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ February 13, 2012
Even with Mr. Grant - campy and dull.
September 5, 2010
I'm not crazy about this movie, but I am crazy about Grant. He gives a good performance, and the movie has some intense scenes, but overall it was kind of boring.
February 17, 2010
A tension-filled trip on a U.S. submarine heading to bomb Japan in WWII. Cary Grant does a great job as the boat captain, leading John Garfield, Dane Clark and Alan Hale into the Sea of Japan, through nests of undersea mines and enemy ships. I found myself holding my breath during some of the more tense action. Is that's not enough to recommend it, I don't know what else it would take.
½ June 23, 2009
This film starts up a little ho-hum, and the characters follow a goofball formula.Once they get their orders and have to go to Tokyo Bay for recon work the film really picks up.Cary Grant is great as usual as the sub captain and the rest of the crew find their barrings and become good characters after awhile. Some of the underwater footage looks good,but it's models in a small pool and at times looks too fake. I liked the story,but a few too many flashbacks.This movie was made during the war so it is patriotic and racist towards the Japanese,but all films made during this period were. Defiantly worth a watch,especially if your a Cary Grant fan.
DrLappos
February 26, 2009
Grants plays 'tense' like no other actor. Classic wartime drama for a wet sunday afternoon.
½ April 29, 2015
A WWII submarine crew sees it's share of action on it's way from San Francisco to Tokyo. Cary Grant is simply laughable as the sub captain and this film is all heroics and very little heart, but regardless it does have it's share of good-time war action fun.
December 15, 2014
Several propaganda phrases (Japs give knives to their children) today detract from this otherwise fine study of men within the pressure cooker of wartime experience.
½ September 3, 2013
If you go, you go voluntarily. You might not come back.

An American submarine is sent into Tokyo Bay to scout for key destinations to bomb during an anticipated air raid. The crew is led by a captain on his last mission and the crew contains a bunch of young men barely ready for this caliber of mission. Can the Captain go out on top or will the Japanese discover the Americans and send them to the bottom of the ocean?

"I heard the Japs are happy to die for their emperor. A lot of them are going to be very happy."

Delmar Daves, director of An Affair to Remember, Dark Passage, Dames, 3:10 to Yuma (1957), Broken Arrow (1950), and a Kiss in the Dark, delivers Destination Tokyo in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting but does contain some of the cliché submarine conversations and feel. The acting is definitely first rate as the cast includes Cary Grant, John Garfield, Alan Hale, Dane Clarke, and William Prince.

"I got the record changer all hooked up."
"So I hear."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred the great Cary Grant. I found this film fairly straight forward with some intense bombing scenes. The dialogue and characters were not as dynamic as I had hoped and for the most part, this film is just okay. I only recommend going out of your way to see this if you are a fan of Cary Grant.

"You may all join me in a silent prayer."

Grade: C+/B- (6.75)
December 17, 2012
one of my favourite WWII movies made during WWII amazing cast that could have only happened during the studio system.
½ August 13, 2011
Mostly boring and overt propaganda piece attempting to glorify sailors during WWII--specifically submariners.
April 3, 2010
79/100. Tense World War II propaganda film, with an impressive cast. John Garfield stands out, of course Cary Grant is always good. Alan Hale and Dane Clark are great in supporting roles. The Tokyo Bay scene is particularly exciting. Outstanding cinematography, the score is excellent and the writing was nominated for an Academy Award. Impressive special effects. It is a little long at 135 minutes, but it seldom is slow. Very well done and I am sure it helped rouse the American citizens spirits at the time.
ZZZ
March 12, 2010
Cary Grant is at the top of his game in this tense WWII film. On a secret mission the crew endures the hardships of being a submarnier. Perception: Well done close quarters drama with a good supporting cast.
½ January 22, 2010
September 1, 2008
I guess I like submarine movies, cause I haven't disliked any so far. Put Cary Grant on the submarine, and you can't go wrong. It's a little too close to wartime propaganda at times, but it's a solid little action movie.
June 25, 2008
a serviceable service picture that fails to make adequate use of Cary Grant. overt propaganda and racism shows the age of this one.
February 16, 2008
The movie's sentimentality might seem horrifically saccharine to contemporary audiences, but remember it was made in the very middle of the war. Cornball humor was the rule, and so were Dirty Japs. The effects sequences are well executed and John Garfield and John Forsythe are both fun to watch. Grant is a BIT fey for a U.S. sub skipper, but hey, even Cary Grant wants to be Cary Grant. A strong dose of propaganda in the form of a movie.
July 23, 2007
I like Cary Grant and submarine movies, so it gets an extra star for that. The underwater scenes were interesting to look at given 1940's film technology.
June 25, 2007
How can you pass on this, Cary Grant as a American sub skipper on a secret misson to Tokyo Bay. OK it may be a little hokley by today's standards, but it was the "hot stuff" back during the war. I a nice job to John Garfield and Allen Hale, too!. . . .
½ August 23, 2013
Tremendously well acted and exciting propaganda piece with some really effective underwater effects.