Destino - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Destino Reviews

March 28, 2012
An absolute masterpiece of animation; the finally-realized efforts of two of the greatest artistic geniuses of all time. Destino's powerful images are moving and beautiful (as could be expected from Salvador Dali), the music is fantastic, and the animation is stunning. What more could you possibly ask for?
½ February 11, 2010
I love this movie! Whether it's the haunting soundtrack or just the imagery by Dali, this movie is like a cult movie for me.
November 19, 2009
Salvador Dali and Walt Disney teamed up over 50 years ago to make this short. Due to monetary restrictions, it was scrapped, but not after they created several very in depth storyboards. Fast forward to 1999, Roy Disney commissioned for the movie to be finished for a since scrapped 'Fantasia 2006'. It has since been playing various film festivals and recently made it's way to be view online. I give all this backstory because A) it's pretty damn interesting in my opinion, B) it's an unconventional movie to say the least. The animation is amazing and the song is sutiable, and I fear if I give more away it'll ruin the experience, but involves some well known Dali like imagery!
½ February 21, 2009
The long lost collobration between Dali and Disney is finally given life in a very short yet intensely beautiful film of love lost and regained.
December 8, 2015
This project shows the essence of both its authors, every time you pause the short just to perceive an image, it is perfect. Yet, this is the exact problem, those great images change style so fast you cannot appreciate any of the instances, but also the connections between those moments don't show as much effort or beauty. You can see the lack of unity around the pose to pose, you can feel when it's majestic or filler animation.
½ January 29, 2013
The Dali and Disney influences are both very apparent. A truly unique work.
April 26, 2012
It's a wonderful and beautiful bizarre, short film, many peopla have waited for this, and now, we can see it, good job.
June 14, 2011
Both beautiful and twisted.
½ December 26, 2010
Very interesting and bizarre. I do love me some Dali.
½ December 26, 2010
Just watched the Disney/Salvador Dali collaboration, "Destino"...4.5 out of 5 stars. Weird and wonderful. Two great artists coming together to create something completely different....
May 28, 2010
Finally got to see THE TRIPLETS with my son at the local arthouse theater. It was quite a little trek, taking the bus to the downtown location, eating corn dogs on the street corner, and then going into the lovely little auditorium for the film.

It was preceded by the Dominique Monfery/Salvador Dali/John Hench animated short DESTINO, and honestly, it was a disservice to BELLEVILLE to run that short beforehand. I was still reeling from the surrealist romp with its tinny romantic soundtrack for at least the first twenty minutes of the main film. If Dali had actually been able to produce all of the art for it, I might have died of sensory overload right there in my cushy red velvet seat. Absolutely stunning - I see why monolith94 had it in his top ten of the year.

As for THE TRIPLETS, it was a charming little journey with some surrealism of its own - kidnapping bicyclists for bizarre gambling gauntlets? - and many running jokes that continued to amuse throughout. I loved the fact that it had no subtitles and very little dialogue; like most good Canadian animation, it tells the story without having to prattle on. The sound design, foley and music were all tremendous.

But I couldn't help thinking it was a bit like the caramels Bruno lusted after - chewed on it, and chewed on it, and in the end had a satisfying but not altogether filling experience. My son did love it, and I suspect I'll buy it when it's available on DVD (especially if it includes DESTINO!), but it wasn't [i]quite[/i] the revelation I was hoping for.