Detroit Rock City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Detroit Rock City Reviews

May 29, 2011
Mrs. Bruce: God forbid one day you have a son like you, Jeremiah. A boy who lies through his teeth, buys demonic records, and smokes the dope!

"They came. They saw. They rocked."

I've always had a thing for Detroit Rock City. It's a fun comedy that you can watch over and over again. But seeing it again now, it's not as good as I remembered. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy it,
but it does have it's share of problems.

For one it's completely stupid and his very little if any intelligent comedy, but I can get over that because I do love the music and the situations. The second thing that really sort of irritates me every time I watch this movie, is some of it's editing tricks. Rifkin seems like he wants the movie to come off as really flashy, but he kind of fails in that department. It's just annoying.

For all of it's problems, I still really enjoy it. The movie features an awesome soundtrack that has a lot of Kiss, but not just Kiss. There's Thin Lizzy, ACDC, Van Halen and many more. I like the cast, too. Their nothing special, but their not working on an Oscar level movie here.  Cool little cameo by Shannon Tweed really tops this movie off nicely.

If your a fan of 70's rock and Kiss or you grew up in the 70's this is a movie you'll
probably enjoy. For everyone else, you'll see the stupidity as annoying and not cool.
August 5, 2011
Detroit Rock City is a pleasant little comedy film that focuses on a group of friends who are setting out on a road trip to go see their favorite band, Kiss. Though not an excellent comedy, Detroit Rock City is an accomplished effort as I thought the idea behind the plot was quite good, and above all fun. As a fan of Rock and Heavy Metal music, I thoroughly liked this film for what it was. There's some great comedy on screen, that'll make you laugh and chuckle. However, the film is far from perfect. Things could've been better, but for what it is, Detroit Rock City is lots of fun. What's really funny about the film is how we see the group of teens do almost the impossible to go see Kiss; you gotta admire their dedication to the band and its music. Detroit Rock City is a fun road trip film, and for me, as a person who's gone on multiple road trips to go see my favorite bands, this film brings back all the crazy memories from the road. This is a film that I can only recommend to fans of the band, and to fans of Rock and Metal music. This is a fun, funny comedy that though not perfect, is far from awful.
April 27, 2007
Something tells me that whoever directed this, must have been pretty stoned out of his mind. Especially if you look at some of the editing and directorial choices. It was just way too much at times, and very over the top. Apart from that little drawback, however, it's a pretty good coming-of-age movie, and a nice tribute to the rock band Kiss. Loved the soundtrack!
July 27, 2008
Loved this back in the 90s and I still find it fun to watch 9 years after!

-- rewrite this later --

Pending Review
February 22, 2008
na had some fun moments man
January 26, 2007
Funny movie about some kids trying to see a KISS concert.
½ November 29, 2006
Really FUCKING funny and great memories of late 1970s at the start scenes when I was a 5 by remembering the old TV series, advertisements and more things.
½ February 26, 2012
Have you ever wondered "I love Dazed and Confused! Now if only I could see the ADD Nickelodeon director's cut"? Well here you go. Detroit Rock City's script is serviceable enough, but the direction is so misguided and spastic (a fun drinking game is to count the unnecessary uses of wide-angle lenses) and the comedic acting so obnoxious that any redeeming values are stripped away
June 24, 2008
I honestly believe this was a good movie. Sure, it was really a cliche and there wasn't anything really substantial about it. Yet beyond that, the director offered the viewer a sincere story about a group of motely friends and their zany escapades. On this alone, I feel that the director has already succeeded. Aside from obviously liking the story, I really liked the main cast of this film (Though I know that they really didn't give great performances, hehe.)
April 21, 2007
Looking through those listed as fans of this movie, having been a teenager during the 70's doesn't seem to be a prerequiste to enjoy this movie. It certainly doesn't hurt, though! KISS Rocks!
April 12, 2007
V ery funny!
November 21, 2011
I had heard this was supposed to be sort of a modern cult classic, but it completely struck out to me.Way too over the top and silly. All of the "characters" are drawn way too thin to care about, and all of the situations are too ridiculous and hokey. Having watched the similarly plotted I Wanna Hold Your Hand (focused on The Beatles rather than KISS), you can see how that film does a much better job of juggling many of the same situations despite its own ridiculous antics.
July 15, 2014
Not really anything special with this one. I mean, if you're a KISS fan (I'm not) it's a fitting tribute to their loyal fanbase wrapped up in a coming-of-age movie that you feel like you've seen a million times. It's not really that funny, but it's amusing enough to be worth watching.
July 22, 2012
Even if the premise and execution is ridiculous, it's still highly original, funny, and entertaining.
½ October 23, 2007
I know that KISS has put their name on a LOT of crap but this should be embarrassing for them. I don't know where to go with this review, it's all so terrible. Basically the laughs were not even cheap, they were insulting and the acting and plot were a dull knife being stabbed into your foot. For a movie that was supposed to rock, it really turned the bland up to 11.
September 1, 2010
Ridiculous as hell, but definitely sheer entertainment and for laughs. Pretty awesome, too. A must for any Kiss fan anyway.
What a weird film.
½ December 23, 2007
This was a cute spoof of 1978. The plot revolves around these 4 boys trying to get to a Kiss concert. I was 17 back in 1978 then so I loved all the music they played throughout the movie.
February 22, 2010
This is a very funny movie that describes a time when make-up and skin tight pants didn't have to be just for girls. In three words: Sex, drugs, rock'n'roll.
February 6, 2010
funny rock n' roll film with edward furlong detroit rock city is just a funny little rock n' roll film