• Die Hard

—— Warehouse 13: Season 5

Die Hard Reviews

Carlos M

August 17, 2013
An exhilarating all-time classic of action movies, impressively well directed and tense when it needs to be, while always surprising us with its well constructed script and the realistic composition of its witty flesh-and-bone hero, John McClane.
garyX
garyX

November 4, 2006
When terrorists take the staff of a hi tec skyscraper hostage during a Christmas Eve party, a lone New York cop trapped in the building with them fights for survival while trying to foil their plans. Die Hard was a watershed moment in the evolution of the action movie, and was genre defying in that the heroes usually tended to have everything under control in action movies previous to this, while a blood soaked and desperate John McClane always seems one step away from defeat. This makes for some very suspenseful action and Willis' charismatic performance rightly elevated him to mega stardom. It has its faults, namely in the soapy back story of he and his wife and especially the ridiculous nonsense about his would be partner Al and his holstered pistol. These are minor points however as the quips are funny, the action beautifully choreographed and its a thrill ride that has dated surprisingly well. One of THE classic action movies.
Everett J

February 15, 2013
"Die Hard" is one of my personal all time favorites and it holds a special place in my heart. When I was little my Dad worked night shift a lot at the water plant, and many nights my mom would let me stay up and watch movies with her. "Stand by Me", "Hitcher", and "Die Hard" were main three, but it never failed that "Die Hard" was always on and always at the same parts. She and I watched this so many times it's crazy. One year for her birthday I bought her a John McClane action figure:-p It's just "our" movie, and anytime a sequel comes out we go see it together. I love all the sequels, but none of them are nearly as awesome as the original. If you haven't seen this, then you don't like movies or are living under a rock(but how would you be on facebook or rotten tomatoes?). Bruce Willis stars as McClane the guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's a New York cop who comes to L.A. to try to win back his wife(she moved out there to advance her career). He goes to her Christmas party, and while there a group of terrorists led by Hans Gruber(Alan Rickman) take over and hold everyone hostage while robbing the company. But, McClane is on the loose and begins battling them, trying to save his wife and get out alive. It's awesome and has spawned more knockoffs than I can name, but none compare. This is the perfect action movie. Funny, thrilling, great performances, and great characters. McClane and Gruber are one of the best hero/villain combinations in movie history. Rickman has never been better, and this is the movie that made Willis a superstar. Go back and rewatch this immediately!
KJ P

January 11, 2010
John McClane is one of the most memorable action stars in recent memory and Bruce Willis is just a blast to watch on screen. Taking place in one building for the majority of the movie, the film finds so many new places to explore and it never finds a soft spot for story, it is everything you could ever wish for, and more. "Die Hard" is the action film of the 90's that will remain in my head as my favourite, because it has all of the elements of an action masterpiece. The villains are not even close to one-dimensional and even getting in quite a bit of background on them was nice. "Die Hard" is one of my favourite action films of all time!
Red L

August 26, 2012
I'm not a fan of most action movies - most seem to give up any thinking to concentrate on the chase or explosion or shooting scenes. But Die Hard is a fairly complete movie with action, comedy, and some heart.
jamers2011
jamers2011

December 7, 2010
I can't believe it took me so long to finally see this movie. Truly one of the best action films of all time. Intense action, violence, perfect pacing, a solid script, and good performances...this is a great film!
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Tense action thriller is the reason Bruce Willis is such a well-recognized name. It sets up when New York police officer John McClane (Bruce Willis) is visiting L.A. with his wife. During a party on the thirtieth floor of the Nakatomi Corporation building, a terrorist group headed by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman) take partygoers hostage. McClane must then take on the villains, even though he may be "no match for [them]".

The whole holiday twist of this film threw me off a little. I had expected it, but I did not expect it to be so massive and noticeable. I would not say this is the best holiday film, but a good Christmas, I have now learned, should include a viewing of DIE HARD.

That's not at all to say this is a cheerful Christmas film. It starts out cheerful, and then begins to evolve into a heart-pounding, thrilling, bloody actioner.

I'd have to say that DIE HARD is now one of my very favorite action films. It has been considered both a classic and a cult classic, something I strongly agree with. Anyone into action films should be dying to see this if they have not yet; thrilling, gripping, violent fun.
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
An amazingly refreshing action film for its time which has obviously spawned many homages. As good a performance Willis could have given with some quality comedy moments.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
Hans Gruber: Mr. Mystery Guest? Are you still there?
John McClane: Yeah, I'm still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.
Hans Gruber: Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?
John McClane: Was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts.
Hans Gruber: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?
John McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.

When we look back at the great action stars, we'll inevitably have to put John McClane at the top spot. Die Hard is the most adrenaline fueled action-packed thrill ride of all-time. It's also the quintessential movie I view around the holidays.

Sergeant Al Powell: I shot a kid. He was 13 years old. Ohhh, it was dark, I couldn't see him. He had a ray gun, looked real enough. You know, when you're a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein' a cop except how to live with a mistake. Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to draw my gun on anybody again.

Even though I prefer Die Hard: With a Vengeance over this film (and the whole franchise), Alan Rickman is still the series' ultimate villain. Hans Gruber is the definition of a bamf. His character has no limits, and serves as real competition for McClane.

John McClane: You'd have made a pretty good cowboy yourself, Hans.
Hans Gruber: Oh, yes. What was it you said to me before? "Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker."

Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker. The single most memorable line in [R-rated] film history, which is uttered by Bruce Willis in every Die Hard film (minus the pussy-like PG-13 version). Willis gives the film it's McClane, and gives it pretty damn well.

This film is the ultimate Christmas film. Yippie-ki-yay, motherfuckers.

Hans: Mr. Takagi, I could talk about industrialization and men's fashion all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude, and my associate, Theo, has some questions for you. Sort of fill in the blanks questions, actually.
3niR
3niR

November 8, 2011
OMA this was truly an awesome 80's movie. I absolutely loved the action scenes. Bruce Willis performance was really outstanding. Can't wait to watch other ones!
Scott G

October 30, 2011
A pure grit film that loves using alot of tomato ketchup, a strong start to a continuation of many action films to follow it, which never came close in terms of action or as good a job of acting than this.
Phil H

August 13, 2007
The granddaddy of all gun/action movies, coined the term 'Die Hard on a...'
this rocks so much, the cast is superb, Rickman especially, and the action is truly pumpin, never letting up the tense sweaty tight pressure for one minute. Like some Arnie flicks the dialog has also gone down in history, hell this film is virtually a part of history as much as 'Star Wars', you really cant fault it on any level, Mctiernan also made 'Predator', the man is or was god.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
THE action movie. Full review later.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 31, 2008
Twelve terrorists. One cop. The odds are against John McClane... That's just the way he likes it.

Great Action Movie! Classic cult film from the 80's which I consider one of the best films of Bruce Willis career and that's saying alot because of Willis extensive career in hollywood. Bruce Willis gives a amazing performance in perhaps one of the best movies of the 1980s. This is an action/adventure movie for the ages. There are a lot of great scenes, including the scene where Bruce Willis leaps off the rooftop and crashes trough the window. I never thought it would be so good when I first saw it, but I was wrong.

John McClane is a cop from New York City who is on his way to Los Angeles to see his kids and his wife Holly, who moved to LA because of a job at the Nakatomi Corporation. When he arrives at Nakatomi Plaza, he meets Holly's boss Joe Takagi and her co-worker Harry Ellis. He and Holly go into a private bathroom and get into an argument. When Holly leaves to give a speech, thirteen armed terrorists lead by Hans Gruber seize control of the building and take the occupants of the 30th floor, who are the only ones left in the building, hostage. Luckily, they missed John and he has to figure out how to save the hostages before the terrorists get their way.
Sam B

August 24, 2011
It drags on a little too long, but this action classic is still an amazing movie, displaying a tense, explosive game of cat vs. mouse (or Bruce Willis vs. Terrorists) through the bowels of an office building which, I assure you, will get blown the hell up. Oh, and Snape is the bad guy. And he was just as awesome in 1988.
Liam G

August 14, 2011
Quite possibly the greatest action film of all-time. Exciting action scenes, tense throughout, humourous at times in a good way, fantastic performances and awesome characters. What more can you ask for?
Drake T

July 12, 2011
Fun action flick, really. The best part is Willis's character who embodies the "average joe" and constantly reminds us that he's just not the right guy in the situation he's been thrown in.

The only hiccup I had was the lack of set pieces. Not only was it kind of boring but for a film where everything took place in a single building there SHOULD have been more suspense around every turn. Instead, each encounter was presented quite neatly.

It rocks the "reluctant hero" cliche so well... and the villains? So stereotypically foreign. Haha! A working late 80's action flick.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Explosive action movie, probably one of the best in the genre. Classic scene of falling off Rickman falling never gets old. Willis reinvented the action hero with John McClane in Die Hard. Yippe Kai Yay
Jacob E

March 13, 2011
Color me impressed. When I started watching this, I assumed it would be a dated 80s action film. Holy crap, I was REALLY wrong on that one. This movie has hardly aged a day, it could pass off as a movie made today set in the 80s, not filmed during it. The action scenes are insane and Alan Rickman and his crew of terrorists are a joy to watch. If you even consider yourself a slight fan of action films, YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS. SERIOUSLY.