Die Mommie Die! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Mommie Die! Reviews

½ December 27, 2006
Weird beyond belief and very bad acting. Although the acid trip was fantastic.
½ March 24, 2007
A very enjoyable send up/homage to Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? type films, this is a funny tale of double-crossings, secrets and murder, starring and written by Charles Busch (who also starred in and wrote Psycho Beach Party, with which this film shares a similar tone).

There's a really fantastically done LSD trip scene in here, complete with kaleidoscopic colors, black and white flashbacks and gender-bending lip-synching, which really attests to the skill and economy in the making of the film.

All of the actors (thankfully) ham it up and seem to be having a great time, and while it's not quite as funny or successful as Psycho Beach Party, it's still another great "Sundance" flick.
November 22, 2015
A really fun campy movie with great performances from Charles Busch, Natasha Lyonne, Stark Sands, Jason Priestly, and Frances Conroy. It's kind of a spoof of movies like Mommie Dearest about a diva mother and a messed up family and if you take it too seriously, you'll miss out on the fun. Great costumes, hair, make up, art direction/production design, and writing.
October 14, 2007
The problem with Die, Mommie, Die, a drag send-up of the genre, is that it spoils the fun by making things sooooooo obvious.
½ January 16, 2009
Not very good...you can tell this was derived from a play...

Good intentions, but it turned out to be an Indie-Dud IMO...
August 1, 2008
Wow, this was so very bad. It might be fun to watch with your friends and laugh at it, but as I sat alone watching it... it really was pretty lame.
June 5, 2007
Die, Mommie, Die! (don't you just love that title?) is a trashy, sharp fun satire of those silly 1950s family melodramas, complete with a little modern "spice" thrown in. Charles Busch (who looks and acts like Lucy Ball on crack) is a comic genius.
April 5, 2007
This movie is just incredible! It has the feel of one of the Joan Crawford or Bette Davis movies of the 60's. I love this film and it's plot. It reminded me so much of another great movie starring Bette Davis...Dead Ringer. The costumes in this film are very much from the 50's & 60's! If your a fan of the 50 & 60's movies, this is one movie you have to see!
April 13, 2005
THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE: I saw THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS in 2003, and didn?t think that highly of it. It? wasn?t until today that I found out it was a sequel, and I was going to be watching the first film in my international cinema class for Canada. It was really awesome to see the same characters 17 years prior to that of THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS, and made me think about the film a bit more. I didn?t remember liking it, but would I like it now? After being introduced to the characters during a time when I was supposed to. I think I would. THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE reminded me a lot, actually, of it?s sequel, so it?s weird that I didn?t like it. Anyway, THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE is a really great, and funny film that I think anyone would love. There?s not much better than watching old(er) people talk about sex.

DIE MOMMIE DIE: I wasn?t much into DIE MOMMIE DIE either. There are some pretty funny parts of the film, and the characters are all cool, but it was just kind of boring. DIE MOMMIE DIE is the story of Angela Arden, a washed up singer, and her family. Arden kills her husband, and her kids are on her trail, trying to get her to confess.

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS: Woody doesn?t make films like he used to. This is a great story about Hannah and her sisters, as well as their husbands and lovers. This is really great, classic Woody Allen.

WAKING NED DIVINE: I haven?t been as charmed seeing a film since watching THE STATION AGENT as I was while watching WAKING NED DIVINE, an import from Ireland about a man (as well as the rest of a tiny town) trying to cash in on a lottery ticket they found attached to a man who died due to the excitement of winning. WAKING NED DIVINE is such a hilarious, charming film that didn?t take the smile off my face from beginning to end.

THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI: Another great silent film from Germany, about a somnambulist who kills people at a carnival. The sets are amazing, and the film itself is awesome looking too. I wish I was able to recreate the look. I?ve tried, and failed miserably. But it?s okay, because seeing the real thing is always better than seeing an imitation.
½ September 14, 2004
This could have been a great throwback to the Joan Crawford vehicles of the 1950's but it is sort of boring and not very funny. Very dissappointed!!!
½ July 30, 2004
Die Mommie Die is good old fashioned dark comedy camp. Its a combination dark comedy and 60s B-movie spoof. The movie is focused around a murder-mystery in 1960s Hollywood with a drag-queen movie harlett that plans the murder of her estranged "husband". One the evil deed is accomplished, he wacked-out "kids" become suspicious and the mad-cap hillarity commences. Overall, a funny dark-comedy spoof.
July 25, 2004
VERY CAMPY TAKE OFF ON THE OLD ROSS HUNTER FILMS, REMINISCENT ON JOHN WAATERS FILMS. NOT BAD, HAS AMUSING MOMENTS, FUN TO WATCH.
November 22, 2015
June 2, 2015
Mark Rucker's film of Charles Busch's script is one of those classic indie gems that seemed to fly under the radar. Rucker fills the screen with a committed stylistic flourish and he fully utilizes the talents of a cast who appear to not only fully understand the artful but over-the-top spoof equal to their commitment to their respective roles. While this is most definitely Charles Busch's movie, he never gets in the way of the consistently comedic performances of the supporting cast. Natasha Lyonne and Jason Priestley really shine in this unexpectedly fun send-up.
October 14, 2007
January 29, 2014
Campy/trashy farce! Charles Busch in drag! It's funny and not meant to be taken seriously!
August 29, 2013
I absolutely love it.
June 8, 2013
Enjoyable campy romp, this film sets out to parody the campy melodramas of the 50s and 60s by being one at the same time as sending them up. Charles Busch is very good as the heroine of yesteryear, and a convincing woman, but for my money, plays it a bit too straight. This is less Mommie Dearest and more well, Die Mommie Die! I suppose it's hard to pull off intentional camp, but everyone does a good job- particularly the ever-handsome Jason Priestley. Unfortunately I saw the first twist coming a mile away and that made the last third a little too silly, but not silly enough. It's good enough if you're a fan of the original genre and looking for something light and entertaining.
½ April 10, 2012
although the acting is cheezy its a different spin on sitcom life.