• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Die Mommie Die! Reviews

Leigh R

December 27, 2006
Weird beyond belief and very bad acting. Although the acid trip was fantastic.
Daniel P

March 24, 2007
A very enjoyable send up/homage to Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? type films, this is a funny tale of double-crossings, secrets and murder, starring and written by Charles Busch (who also starred in and wrote Psycho Beach Party, with which this film shares a similar tone).

There's a really fantastically done LSD trip scene in here, complete with kaleidoscopic colors, black and white flashbacks and gender-bending lip-synching, which really attests to the skill and economy in the making of the film.

All of the actors (thankfully) ham it up and seem to be having a great time, and while it's not quite as funny or successful as Psycho Beach Party, it's still another great "Sundance" flick.
shawnmiller2
January 16, 2009
Not very good...you can tell this was derived from a play...

Good intentions, but it turned out to be an Indie-Dud IMO...
alh1965
April 5, 2007
This movie is just incredible! It has the feel of one of the Joan Crawford or Bette Davis movies of the 60's. I love this film and it's plot. It reminded me so much of another great movie starring Bette Davis...Dead Ringer. The costumes in this film are very much from the 50's & 60's! If your a fan of the 50 & 60's movies, this is one movie you have to see!
August 29, 2013
I absolutely love it.
coconorma
April 13, 2005
THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE: I saw THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS in 2003, and didn?t think that highly of it. It? wasn?t until today that I found out it was a sequel, and I was going to be watching the first film in my international cinema class for Canada. It was really awesome to see the same characters 17 years prior to that of THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS, and made me think about the film a bit more. I didn?t remember liking it, but would I like it now? After being introduced to the characters during a time when I was supposed to. I think I would. THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE reminded me a lot, actually, of it?s sequel, so it?s weird that I didn?t like it. Anyway, THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE is a really great, and funny film that I think anyone would love. There?s not much better than watching old(er) people talk about sex.

DIE MOMMIE DIE: I wasn?t much into DIE MOMMIE DIE either. There are some pretty funny parts of the film, and the characters are all cool, but it was just kind of boring. DIE MOMMIE DIE is the story of Angela Arden, a washed up singer, and her family. Arden kills her husband, and her kids are on her trail, trying to get her to confess.

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS: Woody doesn?t make films like he used to. This is a great story about Hannah and her sisters, as well as their husbands and lovers. This is really great, classic Woody Allen.

WAKING NED DIVINE: I haven?t been as charmed seeing a film since watching THE STATION AGENT as I was while watching WAKING NED DIVINE, an import from Ireland about a man (as well as the rest of a tiny town) trying to cash in on a lottery ticket they found attached to a man who died due to the excitement of winning. WAKING NED DIVINE is such a hilarious, charming film that didn?t take the smile off my face from beginning to end.

THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI: Another great silent film from Germany, about a somnambulist who kills people at a carnival. The sets are amazing, and the film itself is awesome looking too. I wish I was able to recreate the look. I?ve tried, and failed miserably. But it?s okay, because seeing the real thing is always better than seeing an imitation.
MrPhoenix
January 31, 2005
Watched this on DVD at a friend's house last night. It was amusing and stylish, and consistently entertaining from start to finish. Charles Busch is excellent in the lead role and the supporting cast is very solid. One must wonder why dumb 'teen' actresses like Tara Reid get roles when Natasha Lyonne is so superior, as she proves once again here just as she did in American Pie and various other roles. Jason Priestley is surprisingly good here too.

The plot is adequate, with a few nice twists here and there, but the film relies much more on the performances and lush sets to hold the viewer's attention. It does succeed though and the net result is a good popcorn comedy.
hereinmyhead
September 14, 2004
This could have been a great throwback to the Joan Crawford vehicles of the 1950's but it is sort of boring and not very funny. Very dissappointed!!!
whisox
July 30, 2004
Die Mommie Die is good old fashioned dark comedy camp. Its a combination dark comedy and 60s B-movie spoof. The movie is focused around a murder-mystery in 1960s Hollywood with a drag-queen movie harlett that plans the murder of her estranged "husband". One the evil deed is accomplished, he wacked-out "kids" become suspicious and the mad-cap hillarity commences. Overall, a funny dark-comedy spoof.
jazza923
July 25, 2004
VERY CAMPY TAKE OFF ON THE OLD ROSS HUNTER FILMS, REMINISCENT ON JOHN WAATERS FILMS. NOT BAD, HAS AMUSING MOMENTS, FUN TO WATCH.
zeke_sea
July 3, 2004
I laughed all the way through this movie. Beware the suppository of death!