Die Screaming, Marianne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Screaming, Marianne Reviews

½ January 17, 2013
This was my first foray into the world of Pete Walker, and it was fairly middle of the road, to be perfectly honest. I was expecting something of a horror film, but this was in fact more of a thriller/mystery about a young woman who finds herself on the run from assassins when she approaches her 21st birthday and the acquisition of her inheritance.

It's watchable enough, but I was just in the mood for something different.

Rental?
August 6, 2010
Die Screaming, Mariane finally made me decide that hate Pete Walker's films--they are always boring and forgettable, and Die Screaming Mariane ranks at the bottom of the list. What could have been a decent psychological, paranoid thriller featuring an inheritance and incestuous family relations becomes nothing more than a snorefest despite starring the beautiful Susan George from Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs.
February 26, 2010
½ October 25, 2014
This was my first Pete Walker film and it was not that bad.
A very simple thriller about a girl who has people trying to kill her.
Susan George was good in her first film.
It went by quickly and never really felt boring.
Though I will be honest and say that I was expecting a little bit more out of this movie because I thought most of Pete Walker's movie were supposed to be exploitation films and this was a very basic thriller.
½ January 17, 2013

It's watchable enough, but I was just in the mood for something different.

Rental?
½ November 23, 2012
Producer/director Pete Walker went on to make some gripping horror films, but this Hitchcock pastiche falls short of the mark. Oscar nominee Leo Genn adds some real spice as a corrupt official, but he's not in it enough. Susan George is gorgeous and gives a good performance. Alas, the pace is slack and the plot contrived.
August 6, 2010
February 26, 2010
July 10, 2009
what a boring disappointing flop. Susan George is still fricken red hot sexy though... BUT NOT NAKED!?!?
July 22, 2008
Interesting drama/thriller with Susan George is a great role. It's not really horror at all, but an enjoyable character study. Horror fans and Walker fans may be dissapointed with the lack of visceral thrills, but more patient viewers will find a fascinating story to enjoy.
November 14, 2007
As a fan of Pete Walker, I was quite disappointed by this. How can a film with such a great title turn out so boring?! Only one for absolute completists of Mr. Walker and Susan George I'm afraid.
October 6, 2007
Good Title shame about the film.
September 4, 2007
Not particularly gripping tale of a 'free spirited' Susan George becoming embroiled in a seedy crime racket, led by a 'defrocked' Judge.

Not just *a* Judge, but 'The Judge' - Leo Genn's character who is continually accorded the definite article by sundry friends and enemies - who are largely interchangeable. This melodrama, with an accent on corrupt authority figures, bears some resemblance to Pete Walker's later baroque horrors. But the formula isn't developed as of yet - and he had yet to work with that wag, David McGillivray.
½ August 4, 2007
A very wweak film. Lacking in style, charm, or anytyhing else that might'e redeemed it.
June 27, 2007
Almost certainly Pete Walker's worst film.
June 22, 2007
Things I learned from this movie:
* I was too amused playing with the comma in the title to actually purchase this for a scant two dollars at the flea market. I have lost!
(aside!
I'd like the title better if it was "Die, Screaming Marianne.")
January 21, 2007
wanna see it i cant wAIT LOL !!!
February 20, 2006
Susan George plays the titular Marianne, a young woman who holds the combination number of her late mother's bank account, the contents of which are sought after by her father and half-sister. However, when Marianne isn't forthcoming with the information they decide to get hold of it any way they can.

After making a series of rather woeful British sex "comedies", Pete Walker entered into the horror genre and gained notoriety throughout the 1970s for his often religious themed schockers. Whilst this particular title isn't as gory or sleazy as his later films, it's an accessible one nonetheless. However, the uneven pacing and lack of any significant action makes this a difficult sell to those who enjoy a good thriller but for die-hard fans of Ms George's this proves an ideal showcase for her "girl-next-door" charms.

Not the best Walker film by a long shot but if you start here and work forward you'll probably gain a better appreciation for a former stalwart of British horror. Worth a rent at least.