Different for Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Different for Girls Reviews

½ April 12, 2011
Overall, this movie was ok. I never entirely bought Kim as a woman however. It just seemed like two dudes in a gay relationship, which was fine. My biggest problem with the film is one of expectation, I think. I expected better. While this movie didn't put me to sleep, the plodding story ultimately leaves you feeling like you could have done something better with the movie's running time of 96 minutes. Just sayin..
½ August 25, 2006
Sweet and funny.
iLeo
July 25, 2008
Hmmm....I could have sworn I rated this before. Oh well. Good movie. Good story plot.
April 20, 2009
This movie has its heart in the right place, and for a light romantic comedy, it's not bad. The two leads, especially Rupert Graves, are really fun to watch, and regardless of what gender these characters were born with, this is really just another sweet, amusing story about the "bad boy" and "good girl" falling in love, with even more odds stacked against them than usual. It's too bad, then, that the chemistry between these two leads feels forced in all but the sex scene at the end, which is very moving and honest. The plot is also highly contrived, and the attempt to juice it up with some side plots that never go anywhere just makes it seem convoluted. Also be ready to suspend your disbelief where Steven Mackintosh is concerned, because even though he acts like a woman, he doesn't look at all like a post-op transexual, only a cross-dresser.
½ March 3, 2009
Two old school chums, Paul and Carl. meet after not seeing one another for 16 years. Except Carl has had a sex-change operation and is now Kim. ``I am straight, you know,'' Paul tells Kim. ``So am I,'' she replies.There follows a tender romantic comedy with many twists. I loved it
February 16, 2009
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Paul: ?Kim. I am straight, you know.?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Kim: ?So am I.?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Brilliant, and so true for both characters. I love the dialogue in the film, and the preceding quote is one of my all time favorite lines in any movie. And it pretty much summed up the whole romance ?Different for Girls.?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I remember seeing ?Different? in the theater in 1997 (I?m shocked it was even shown here in ultra-conservative Phoenix, especially in that decade), as I am an avid Rupert Graves fan since ?Maurice.? And the first word of the title certainly fits. Yes, I was drawn to the film for the actor and content, but I had no idea how far off it was to what I expected. Now, watching it over 11 years later, I remember how much I loved it. The acting (especially Graves,) the complexity of the main characters (no one?s cookie-cutter) and great music used makes this twist on an old love story unique. It also makes a great statement. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]What better message does this movie convey ? people can fall in love with people, no matter the gender, present or past. As per that quote, heterosexual Paul almost receives a kiss from post-op Kim. Leading up to this point, we?ve gathered that Kim (formally Karl) has been ruthlessly picked on during his childhood and he was always saved by white knight, Paul. Years pass, and a chance encounter brings back the childhood friends. A (no spoiler) spark ignites, and we see hot-head Paul trail humble, adjusting Kim around town. Some subplots (the film?s only real downfall) develop and are mostly irrelevant, aside from a perverted police/court case that sums up the always down-on-his-luck (for obvious reasons) Paul and his need to redeem himself in saving his old pal.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Other than Kim?s sister and place of employment sidebars, the movie is pretty straightforward. The ?difference? is the message I already mentioned. True love knows no genders (or boundaries), and I wish more people would realize that. Paul?s not in love with another man, or a man-turned-woman. He?s in love with the person.[/color][/size][/font]
October 2, 2007
The story has a TV movie shorthand calculation and slightness. Well-acted but essentially go-nowhere little movie.
May 15, 2007
This one is a fun love story... That treats the subject of transsexuals with some honest accuracy and even some respect.
Two old High school friends run into each other on the streets of London... But a LOT has changed.
The movie also addresses the question dreaded by all gay/lesbian/bi/trans people... Coming out to family, the boss and coworkers... And to old friends.
The inability, and the unwillingness of the legal system to deal with the transgender community with any form of respect or equality is also looked into by this film.
The question of how the transgendered... and those around them... deal with their sexuality is however the overriding question in this film as the two old friends come to terms with their new feelings for the other.
November 15, 2006
realy is a new spin on the romantic comedy. the story of two young boys who were friends in high school and loose touch, one becomes a package boy the other a high paying job....only his best friend now is a she!... slowly he falls for her "the used to be him" and well... you know how gushy love storys go... its a decent flick...and this is coming from some one who thinks the idea of a romantic comedy is bullshit and more fake then a jason movie...so..but...this flick is worth a watch
May 7, 2006
Having lived some of the moments of the movie in my life, this light hearted movie captures my feelings, fears and hopes.

It is a positive and affirming movie for me. It is different and offbeat for the typical person and this fact may expand or challenge them. It may be hard for some to accept and is therefore a waste of time. For me the movie captures what we all go through to find our core.

Besides being entertaining this movie expands the common experience of our varied and beautiful life.
December 11, 2012
This rather thought-provoking Brit flick made one aware how difficult especially the male world can be on those like the Karl/Kims who are born into this world with a different mix of chromosomes that does not fit the usual meaning of the word gender. What makes this movie different from some others on the same topic is the lack of torrid melodrama and the build up of a rather touching romance between the two main characters, and excellent performances by Rupert Graves and Steven MacIntosh.
August 7, 2012
A lot of patience to endure a predictable but sweet love story
June 27, 2012
Lovely movie; expect more of a 'oh it's a tranny, ew' or half-stepping around on the idea of transgendered people.
½ December 26, 2011
[02/12] Gro▀artiger Film mit toller Besetzung und bewegender Story. ?
½ April 12, 2011
½ September 22, 2009
Weird-but interesting-I guess it was the British type movie
July 20, 2009
Love the level of romanticism in this movie.
½ May 20, 2009
I really thoroughly enjoyed this British romantic dramedy. I came upon it totally by accident and had never heard of it before. Even though it's a feel-good movie, the acting in this piece is really quite serious and outstanding. It's about the chance encounter of 2 former classmates that once shared a special bond meeting up again as adults years after their graduation, only this time one is a straight male while the other is a post-op transsexual. The plot is refreshing and seemingly realistic, and I didn't find it to be tacky or disturbing in the least bit. The 2 main characters are likeable enough that you'd feel for them and their struggles. I like this movie enough to be able to call it one of my favorites of all time.
April 20, 2009
½ March 10, 2009
Romantic comedy with a slightly different twist, in that two prep school chums meet up after sixteen years and one of them has become a woman. The acting was pretty good, especially the way the characters stretch themselves to understand each other and develop a relationship in a new context, while still maintaining the integrity of their different lives (one unconventional yet very careful, the other a goodhearted but rather reckless mess).