Diggstown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ScoopOnline
December 1, 2009
Awesome Piece
½ April 22, 2011
...It is a certified classic comedy...thanks for the memories...
August 24, 2014
With an unusual, forgettable title and no A-list stars, "Diggstown" came and went with little fanfare during a summer filled with high profile films. It deserves a wider audience, as it's an underrated film with a couple of terrific performances and a winning story that builds to a truly cheer-worthy finale.

It was directed by Michael Ritchie, a great comedic filmmaker who specializes in sports comedies, and because of that, the boxing scenes are quite thrilling. I've long been a sucker for con pictures, and this is one of the better ones in recent memory. Star James Woods is at his snarky best here, a good guy with none of the usual good guy trappings, and it's a great swan song for veteran Lou Gossett, Jr. in one of his last big starring roles.

But a film like this doesn't work without a great villain, and it really is Bruce Dern that makes this all work so well. With those big teeth and shark-like grin, he truly is a bad guy you love to hate. He has some truly evil moments here that make the payoff even more satisfying, but the screenplay by Steven McKay always manages to keep things light and lively. It also provides a few surprises along the way and that terrific ending that you won't see coming, but there are a few subplots it could stand to lose. Heather Graham looks great, but she serves little purpose and is simply forgotten about after a while.

"Diggstown" is a crowd pleaser looking for a crowd. Those who stick it out and likely to greatly enjoy it.
August 22, 2014
82%

Awesome cast. This is one of the those movies where you can't help but throw your fist in the air whilst rooting for "the good guys". Duck and weave.
½ February 12, 2012
A very good film, one of James Woods's best performances. A decent script and great chemistry between Bruce Dern and Woods really gets this film going. Louis Gossett Jr. is one of the most underrated actors in history and he does great work here too. This film could have been released not in the 1990s but in the 1950s or 1960s and might have been better if it was. Still, it is worth seeing.
½ May 29, 2008
An enjoyable boxing movie with a hint of mafioso. Louis Gossett Jr, James Woods & Oliver Pratt are great. The ending was a funny little surprise, but a little cheesy when the black boxer punches Bruce Dern for killing his brother. And it's pretty unbelievable that Randall Cobb & Heather Graham could come from the same gene pool.
½ November 12, 2009
It's got an 80s feel to it, and I'm sure I would have liked it more had I seen it in 1992, but now it's a little bit corny. Enjoyably corny, but corny nonetheless.
October 27, 2009
Awsome movie, the acting is not great, but better than what passes for acting these days. (lookin at you cast of twilight)Great story line with James Woods at his sexy peak. Oooh a piece of candy....
½ January 17, 2008
Luv James Woods and Louis Gossett Jr but this lame movie wasn't the best vehicle for showcasing their acting talents
½ April 20, 2008
Awesome. Who doesn't a like a good boxing movie....and who doesn't like a good movie about hustlers/conmen?...well, why not have both in one? It's like The Sting meets Rocky. definitely worth a watch.

(oh, and though it has nothing to do with the quality of the move, it is worth nothing that heather graham is absolutely stunning in this)
October 2, 2007
Maybe the most underrated movie I've ever seen. It's a con artist versus con artist flick and it's done well. Funny and you probably haven't seen it!
½ September 8, 2007
A movie essentially about a con... one "big" score. But in the world of movies... its on a much smaller scale than most movies of its ilk. This movie has a bit of everything. Drama, comedy... twists... and a great ensemble cast. And just when it looks like its the end... there's more... and just when you think you know whats gonna happen... it gets turned a bit on its ear. A good watch and one of my personal faves... in my opinion, one of those underrated gems.
½ August 8, 2007
A fun movie with great acting. One of the very few movies where James Woods doesn't play some arrogant jerk, but instead plays the used-car-dealer schtick that made him popular. Gossett Jr. is gold as always.
July 17, 2007
The greatest boxing movie of all time. The greatest con movie of all time. It's like The Sting, but with punching.
½ July 10, 2007
This is a good film just to sit back and relax. More than enough laughs from start to finish. James Woods is the perfect con man, while Louise Gossett Jr. is one great boxer. I know i couldnt do 10 matches in one day but with Woods in my corner i would give it my all.
April 2, 2007
A great con pulled off in this movie. Since it was Bruce (I shot John Wayne in the back)Dern getting conned, it made the movie that much better.
February 7, 2007
James Woods at his best; Louis Gossett Jr. at his best; Bruce Dern at HIS best and everyone else brings their A game. Tragically underseen comedy with boxing.
½ September 15, 2006
The best boxing comedy ever made with a near-perfect cast (Woods, Gossett, and Bruce Dern are the best) and a great, witty script.
August 14, 2005
While it's been a while since I first saw this picture, the memory of James Woods and Lou Gossett Jr. having their day still stands strong.

While it didn't do quite what it should have at the box office, this is among the better twists I've ever seen.

Seeing is believing.