Diggstown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ScoopOnline
December 1, 2009
Awesome Piece
½ April 22, 2011
...It is a certified classic comedy...thanks for the memories...
½ January 17, 2008
Luv James Woods and Louis Gossett Jr but this lame movie wasn't the best vehicle for showcasing their acting talents
October 2, 2007
Maybe the most underrated movie I've ever seen. It's a con artist versus con artist flick and it's done well. Funny and you probably haven't seen it!
½ September 8, 2007
A movie essentially about a con... one "big" score. But in the world of movies... its on a much smaller scale than most movies of its ilk. This movie has a bit of everything. Drama, comedy... twists... and a great ensemble cast. And just when it looks like its the end... there's more... and just when you think you know whats gonna happen... it gets turned a bit on its ear. A good watch and one of my personal faves... in my opinion, one of those underrated gems.
½ August 8, 2007
A fun movie with great acting. One of the very few movies where James Woods doesn't play some arrogant jerk, but instead plays the used-car-dealer schtick that made him popular. Gossett Jr. is gold as always.
½ July 10, 2007
This is a good film just to sit back and relax. More than enough laughs from start to finish. James Woods is the perfect con man, while Louise Gossett Jr. is one great boxer. I know i couldnt do 10 matches in one day but with Woods in my corner i would give it my all.
April 2, 2007
A great con pulled off in this movie. Since it was Bruce (I shot John Wayne in the back)Dern getting conned, it made the movie that much better.
February 7, 2007
James Woods at his best; Louis Gossett Jr. at his best; Bruce Dern at HIS best and everyone else brings their A game. Tragically underseen comedy with boxing.
½ September 15, 2006
The best boxing comedy ever made with a near-perfect cast (Woods, Gossett, and Bruce Dern are the best) and a great, witty script.
April 6, 2015
The actors make this comedy work with heart and soul.
½ March 16, 2015
They call it a light-hearted sports comedy, yet one character is murdered in a manner that evokes a Deep South lynching. Though it's a major plot-point, it feels cheap in the way it is done...trivialized, so it won't spoil the lighthearted tone. A lot of talent is expended here-- for me, it is all a waste.
August 24, 2014
With an unusual, forgettable title and no A-list stars, "Diggstown" came and went with little fanfare during a summer filled with high profile films. It deserves a wider audience, as it's an underrated film with a couple of terrific performances and a winning story that builds to a truly cheer-worthy finale.

It was directed by Michael Ritchie, a great comedic filmmaker who specializes in sports comedies, and because of that, the boxing scenes are quite thrilling. I've long been a sucker for con pictures, and this is one of the better ones in recent memory. Star James Woods is at his snarky best here, a good guy with none of the usual good guy trappings, and it's a great swan song for veteran Lou Gossett, Jr. in one of his last big starring roles.

But a film like this doesn't work without a great villain, and it really is Bruce Dern that makes this all work so well. With those big teeth and shark-like grin, he truly is a bad guy you love to hate. He has some truly evil moments here that make the payoff even more satisfying, but the screenplay by Steven McKay always manages to keep things light and lively. It also provides a few surprises along the way and that terrific ending that you won't see coming, but there are a few subplots it could stand to lose. Heather Graham looks great, but she serves little purpose and is simply forgotten about after a while.

"Diggstown" is a crowd pleaser looking for a crowd. Those who stick it out and likely to greatly enjoy it.
August 22, 2014
82%

Awesome cast. This is one of the those movies where you can't help but throw your fist in the air whilst rooting for "the good guys". Duck and weave.
July 23, 2014
It is an amiable con comedy.
½ July 22, 2014
Really fun movie with a cast clearly having a ball...
May 5, 2014
Extraordinarily fun story and an excellent cast.
May 25, 2013
One of the greatest con movies ever made.
½ September 6, 2012
This movie made me want to stand up and cheer!