Digimon - The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Digimon - The Movie Reviews

½ October 20, 2010
For those who grew up in the 90's you were either all about the Pokemon or Digimon. Digimon, the more complicated and highly evolved form of digital monsters kept many entertained, and this darker movie adaptation was not only greatly anticipated and loved, but just a plain win. Good to watch if you want to stroll down memory lane.
michael e.
September 27, 2010
though most adults on this whole website may not fully appreciate the movie its crazy plot off the wall violence and wierd creatures but remember it is a movie based on an anime kids show which i grew up with may i add, This show was the best show of the 90s and 2000s for all kids alongside pokemon but now the show has just gone down the crapper with the 5th series data squad. But the first second and third seasons were great. Digimon adventure is basically the start of the digimon franchise with all the main characters being introduced, the second series digimon adventure 02 takes place right after the first series so think of it as a sequel to the first series because it has all the same characters plus a few new ones in it all grown up. So as you could have imagined the show was a huge hit so it spawned a movie and when the movie came out it was one of the most anticipated anime films to come out at the time second next to pokemon the first movie mewtwo vs mew, but instead of a double feature you got a triple feature with this movie (quadruple feature if you count the short film). It starts out with a short angela anaconda short film to prove that fox still had life back then and then it starts out but its kind of like a prequel to the first series of digimon since it starts out with Tai and Kari when they are very little and they meet koromon who starts out as botamon. It basically follows the format where the children find a monster or something and they try to keep it a secret kind of like the iron giant and E.T. But then It gets bigger and turns into a monster escapes goes on a rampage then a digi-egg appears in the sky and out comes parrotmon where agumon digivolves into greymon and f*cking annihilates parrotmon with his nova flame but then he disappears. How could you get more epic than a film like that starting out. But then it goes into an even more epic story about Tai and Izzy finding a digimon nesting into a computer as a virus it gets stronger and stronger so they decide to send in agumon and tentomon to stop the data stealing digimon by digivolving into their champion forms, but they are no match because it skips digivolution from champion to ultimate. It basically destroys them in battle not physically but almost. If you want to see the whole thing i dont want to ruin the plot but its definetly a wonderful and awe inspiring action anime film if your a fan of the series or not your going to love it
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ May 26, 2006
pretty good..
½ December 22, 2011
½ September 14, 2011
It is better than Pokemon. Slightly better.
½ March 26, 2007
It's a pretty great movie. I love the original version of the clips in this movie. I suggest you watch the Japanese version. You will see no corny catch phrases added and names and terms altered in the American version.
½ October 18, 2015
I loved this movie as a child, and I still love it to this day! The animation is really neat and fluid (a lot better then the show), and it's neat how they have 2 movies in the same movie.
½ July 29, 2015
Choppily dubbed/edited and heavily narratively contrived (it's actually three movies melded into one). I was never really crazy about Digimon when it was around because I felt it was just like Pokemon (although deep down it isn't and does have some differences).
½ October 4, 2014
Digimon: The Movie is better than Pokemon, but that's not saying much as it's unfocused, cliched, dull, and boring.
December 8, 2014
All I can say is that the movie is a feast for the eyes but lacks any real nutritional value. For die-hard fans of the franchise... actually, for die-hard fans, I recommend finding the original short standalone films in their uncut entirety.
June 16, 2012
Little kids may like it, but this is NOT a movie for anyone who doesn't know the first thing about Digimon. You gotta know that stuff, or you'll just be watching another cheesy anime movie. That's the major problem with this one. But I knew my Digimon when I saw it, so I got a little more out of it. The plot was OK, but it's a movie based on the first two seasons, and I was never all that big on those two.
February 15, 2012
If you understand what is happening and ignore all the lapses in logic, it's really enjoyable. The first half, at least, is awesome. Some of the visuals like the water color countrysides are admirable. Also, the use of songs, while shameless in trying to sell the film, make it strangely fun.
January 24, 2014
Its mostly the first 3 movies mashed together. I liked this as a kid. Haven't seen it in a while though... Is there a Blu ray copy of this? Probably not...
July 12, 2013
This is the only one of my favorites that I will readily admit is a "bad" movie. The story is as contrived and shallow as any portion of the series, the humor rarely inspires more than a minor chuckle and the animation is a continuous bombardment of mediocrity with a few moments of grandness and spectacle. Even so, that does not matter to me. It features some of my favorite characters and monsters in original, contained stories, the action is exciting and the voice acting retains the strength from the series. This is a movie that was unabashedly made to appeal to a specific audience, but for those of us who fell into that category it was the greatest thing at the time, and it is still the most satisfying theater experience I have ever had. It is a fine reminder of the time before this franchise descended into utter ridiculousness.
½ July 14, 2013
Beautiful Animation. Reminds me of my childhood. Enjoyable some 12yrs later because of the great story and surprisingly mature dialogue. This isn't Pokemon, nor is it a Saturday morning cartoon. Feels like a legitimate animated movie. Great english voice-work and a really fun soundtrack. The only negative about the movie is it's appeal and story will only make sense to those with a background with Digimon. The movie doesn't develop the characters very well. New viewers to the series will not know or care about the characters (or Digimon) and will most likely be lost in the story and the back-to-back-to-back action scenes. I will admit there is some cheesiness, namely in the lengthy "digi-volutions" sequences.

Also very short at 80min. It feels especially rushed because the movie is divided into 2 main acts (the backstory and the present-day) The first act is far superior to the 2nd. I almost wish they carried the dark tone and dialogue from the first for the whole movie and pushed the 2nd into a separate film. It would have drastically improved character development as well, seeing that characters from the first act aren't even in the second. Kari and and Willis are the only carryovers, and as a result, are the strongest characters in the film.
May 17, 2013
Since I grew up watching this cartoon, I really was exited when seeing this for the first time. While putting aside the fact its 3 films in 1, it stands as a pretty satisfying film. I love the battles, charcters, and one liners that truly make me feel like a kid. Its a nostalgia trip that will never end. Though the short the beginning was unnecessary(I hate that short!!)
July 24, 2010
First of all, I grew up with this movie and it has extreme nostalgic value for me, thus resulting in a relatively higher rating than if I had not grown up with it.
Critically this movie doesn't offer a lot the animation isn't anything special, the plot isn't very original, and a lot of the dialog is corny.
However this movie is not a complete loss. The soundtrack is a whole lot better than any other 1990s Saturday mourning TV-show based movie. There are some actual lines in the movie that are hilarious. The villain in the second part is one of my favorite childhood bad guys. Last, but not at all least, this movie is exiting and parents can expect not to fall asleep.
This is one of my personal favorite movies, based mostly on nostalgic value, and I would suggest it to those who loved the series as kids and to those with kids. It's definitely a more entertaining alternative to Dora the Explorer.
December 30, 2012
This movie is what happens when you take too many liberates when translated a foreign film. Or in Digimon's case three foreign films. Saban here tries to squeeze three films with three completely different stories into one movie compressing them and as a result taking a lot out to the point where the end result makes little to no sense. Not only that it doesn't match up to the TV show at all, and in later seasons of the show when they try splicing in the movie to the US dubs continuity it's an even bigger mess than before. I liked it as a kid, but it's not a film that stands the test of time. As for my thoughts on Digimon, I love the first season of the anime, and Digimon Adventure is an all time favorite of mine. Digimon Adventure 02 was in my view that unnecessary sequel that ruined it. Kind of like The Lost World: Jurassic Park, and Jurassic Park III or The Matrix's Reloaded and Revolution. Tamers was terrible in my view, and I haven't seen anything after that. If you're gonna check out anything watch the original show, the movies can be easily avoided.
½ February 8, 2012
I don't really get the hate or the ratings going on here. The message of this movie is sweet and straightforward to kids. Of course, the story plot could have been much more stronger, especially Part II with Cocomon. But... call me a wimp, but I honestly cried the first time I saw this movie (considering I was like 8 when I first saw it). Still, I watched this the other day for total nostalgia.
November 13, 2012
Definitely awesome. Rivals the Pokemon movie. The second part is definitely darker but still good. Love the first half