• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

Dirty Girl Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

June 13, 2013
A teenager and her gay friend hit the road to search for the girl's estranged father.
About every road trip cliche is combined with every gay best friend cliche is combined with every estranged teenager cliche. There's nothing original about this film's plot or execution. As tepid as it is, it doesn't offend one's sensibilities with cliche-piling, but that's about the best that can be said of it.
Juno Temple is charming and sometimes funny (even if her accent is nothing like what I heard in Norman), and Jeremy Dozier gives a strong performance in his film debut.
Overall, Dirty Girl is pretty boring, but it's pro-gay, post-sexual revolution sensibilities made me not mind it as much as I should have.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 23, 2011
Dirty Girl was a fun small Indie flick. I really enjoyed myself watching this movie. The characters are loud and vulgar and I liked it. I'm a sucker for a road-trip flick. The film does deal with some heavy situations and the film makes no light of it, even if it is considered a comedy. Juno Temple is great in this movie. I loved her character Danielle. Her side-kick on this road trip, Clarke, played by newbie Jeremy Dozier, was just as great in this film. I really loved both of their characters. They definitely have to be two of my favorite characters I've seen on screen lately. The film also had a great supporting cast with the likes of Mary Steenburgen, who plays the yes wife. In other words does whatever her husband tells her to right down to how she should act and feel. Milla Jovovich plays Sue-Anne, another yes mother who lets her daughter run all over her. William H. Macy does well in his role as the new Morman boyfriend of Sue-Ann. Last but not least, Dwight Yoakam plays Clarkes overbearing, small minded, abusive, douche of a father. Great performanes by all. I really loved the movie. It's got a great mix of comedy and drama. Best of all, besides the performances and the film itself, was the music. The film has one of THE best soundtracks. I really enjoyed the movie, and I can't wait to see it again.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 8, 2011
Let them talk.

Good movie! This movie offered a bit of everything. Humor, emotions, feel-good and even some awkward moments. In many ways Dirty Girl is funny, charming, delightful, and satisfying. In many ways it's dark, sad, depressing, and begging to be loved. We have two insecure characters that go about their insecurity in totally different ways. One, giving herself up to anyone and everyone, and the other just sitting by idly in high school taking the hatred from his peers and probably his classmates. It's a sad world after all. Eventually it is a true feel-good movie with a nice but somewhat cliché plot. To end all this, I'm really taking my hat off for the acting.

A comedic story of the search for identity and the redemptive power of unexpected friendship. Danielle is the dirty girl of Norman High School. When Danielle's misbehavior gets her banished to special ed, she teams up with an innocent closet-case and together they head out on a road trip to discover each other and themselves through a funny and serendipitous friendship.
Nicki M

May 19, 2012
Loved it. Movie set in the 80's dealing with a "troubled" girl and her gay best friend. Some sad moments, but overall a nice little movie.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

March 31, 2013
In "Dirty Girl," it is not sleeping through the student body of a high school in Norman, Oklahoma in 1987 that gets Danielle(Juno Temple) demoted to special education, but her unusual opinions in sex education. She is even less thrilled to be partnered with Clarke(Jeremy Dozier) in a class project, meant to represent them raising a baby, who she would not otherwise even give the time of day to. As bad as that sounds, it is better than his abusive father(Dwight Yoakam) bullying him over his being gay. At least, Danielle starts to take Clarke and the project seriously when failing looks like a distinct possibility which leads Danielle to think about her own missing father.

As amiable as it is with a surprisingly neat cast that includes an almost unrecognizable Mary Steenburgen, there is also nothing in "Dirty Girl" in its story about two small town misfits going on a road trip to find themselves that we have not seen before. As a period piece, this generic movie feels more like a movie made in 1987, not one set there, hence the lack of mentions of AIDS. That's not to mention the odd double standard on display.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

August 13, 2012
"She's just a dirty white girl!" They're not at all the worst, but Foreigner is kind of a lame band, though I suppose lame and foreigners in the entertainment industry go hand-in-hand, because it's pretty lame that we keep having these English people come in and remind us of how bad most of us Americans are accents by taking our roles. Well, I suppose the reason why we keep getting foreigners to play Americans in our films is the same reason why we keep getting foreigners to do other American jobs: they're willing to work for little pay, because Juno Temple just had to have known that this film was going to bomb, seeing as how the whole craze over indie coming-of-age comedy-dramas ended with, well, "Juno". The fact that Temple is playing a promiscuous teenager in an indie dramedy isn't really helping her in her struggle to dismiss the title of being the blonde, English Ellen Page, yet what certainly helps is the fact that Ellen Page, boy howdy, definately doesn't have a body like this (As "Super" solidified; *shutter* skinny legs). Maybe a reason why Temple keeps doing these kind of indie films is because Hollywood is taking into consideration that she's still got quite a bit of baby face left and aren't willing to tell you that she's actually really hot when she wants to be, though maybe Temple is overdoing things a bit here, because, make no mistake, she's still got quite a bit of baby face left, is mainly playing a teenagers and wearing stuff, if anything, that would make Roman Polanski feel a little bit uncomfortable. Eh, well, she's definately not a teenager in real life, so I can say that she's still really, really hot in this film, though it's a shame no one saw it, especially when you take into consideration that, when she wants to, Temple can not only look good, but act well while doing it. Granted, she's not given a whole lot of material to work with, and yet, even if she did have more to work with, I've got say, as much as I kind of enjoyed this film, and for the right reasons... mostly, she still wouldn't have been able to drown out this film's own problems.

As with most modern indie films, the film loses spark at the slow-downs, lacking the budget and professional hands to keep entertainment value consistent, thus leaving the less lively moments of the film to slow down a bit too much, definately not to where the film gets dull, or even really disengaging, but to where the film limps out for a moment. Of course, when things do pick up and the film gets less indie, you're wishing that the film would slow itself back down and do something other than vulgarities to remind itself that it's not the pilot for some corny high school dramedy, because this film tries a little bit too hard to be mainstream, to the point of shooting straight over to network TV, though definately not primetime. Early on, and during certain moments throughout, the film stylishly dashes through plot points and exposition, TV style, as though it were trying to sustain audience attention for thirty or sixty minutes, which would be fine and all if we were actually here for thirty or sixy minutes, yet the problem isn't just that the film, as I said, gets slow here and there, but that this is a "film", and one that should know better and stretches over an hour-and-a-half, which is nothing by film standards, and an eternity by TV standards (50-something-minute premium shows are overlong enough, now imagine them thirty minutes longer and with more network storytelling sensibilities). As I said, these moments of extreme rushing occur only early on and here and there throughout the film, yet they really sting when they do occur, which isn't to say that TV sensiblities fall into play only during those messy moments, as the film consistently collapses into a kind of TV pop overstylizing and, to an extent, cheesiness (The lame music video-like scene where our leads sing along to "Lovergirl" nearly made me cry, it hurt so much) that dilutes subtlety and effectiveness considerably, as well as into immense genericism that basically kills the film's originality on its feet, while further diluting subtlety and effectiveness considerably. Of course, the film's amateur moments don't end on a TV level, as the film unexpectedly makes quite a few crucial swift shifts back and forth between dark-ish comedy and moderate drama, and the transitions aren't especially organic; in fact, they're jarring, tossing you back and forth between tones that don't gel and are rendered less effectiveness because of the tonal unevenness, as well as the profound TV type of unsubtlety that cheeses up the key dramatic moments so intensely that they come off as embarassingly saccharine and flat. In all honesty, the final act of the film is unexpectedly pretty powerful, once the film finally takes some blasted retraint, yet that potency comes in much too late, as the writing is rather clumsy and the directing is clumsier, which is what I was expecting until I finally got to the film and, to my surprise, found quite a bit of potential for something more, yet all I ended up getting was an uneven, generic and cheesily unsubtle misfire, though one that I certainly didn't walk away too dissatisfied by. The film is an absolute mess, and there's no way around that, yet where you would expect this film's hit-miss ration to not look terribly good, for every fault, there was an unexpected strength that certainly didn't raise this film past decent, but definately got it by, particularly as a style piece.

I'm telling you, you'd be surprised by how much the smallest type of technical value can make or break a film, and while Jonathan Lucas certainly can't omit most of the discomforting cuts in the script, and unfortunately gets a bit faulty during a certain climactic confrontation between Dwight Yoakam and Jeremy Dozier at around the hour mark, his editing is nothing short of phenomenal, keeping most scenes airtight, as well as energetic in their unique snappiness, which amplifies this film pop livliness and an undeniably impressive fashion. Lucas' top-notch editing, combined with an often cheesy yet consistently lively '80s pop soundtrack, as well as quite a few undeniably snappy moments of writing, flare energy in this film that may go betrayed by Abe Sylvia's many writing and directorial shortcomings, but unexpectedly won me over and kept me consistently entertained, with the one aspect that rivals the effectiveness of the film's technical value and style being, of course, the cast. With such people as Milla Jovovich, William H. Macy, Mary Steenburgen and Dwight Yoakam, the cast is riddled with big-time talents, all of whom really have little to do, outside of cool southern accents that they all nail, yet deliver all the same of memorably colorful charisma, with the unknown co-lead Jeremy Dozier standing among the standouts, charmingly and, at times, gracefully portraying the uncertainties, fears and ambitions of his closet-case Clarke character (That's a lot of "c"s, cousin). As for the lovely leading lady Juno Temple, she holds attention the most, as she is a revelation... physically, because we all knew that she was as cute as a button, but here, they toned down the baby face, a little bit of shame with it, and turned Temple into one of most stunning ladies of the screen of 2011, if not also 2010, when this film first premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. ...Okay, forget subtlety and class, let's be blunt here: Good Gary Oldman, Juno Temple is so incredibly hot in this film! Acting-wise, however, there is, of course, nearly nothing for Temple to work with (or at least until the final act) in order to produce a revelatory performance, and it doesn't help that there wouldn't be too much revelation if Temple was asked to stretch, because we already know that she can act, as she reminds us here, for although she has close to nothing to do, she remains a sharp charm who finds herself dealt the role of a character who could have very easily have plummeted to be as unlikable as she kind of is on paper (I hate teenagers, and lord knows I hate teenagers who remind me of most everything I hate about teenagers), yet ends up making an engaging lead through hot southern charisma, married with a degree of unexpected depth that falls into play as the film progresses and helps in making such certain occasions the final act as surprisingly strong, thus leaving Temple to manage to carry this film. The film is so very flawed, and ceaselessly so, to the point of being rendered incapable of ever being genuinely good, yet where the film could have fallen flat as rather bland, it really does leave a bit of a colorful impression, as what stengths it does have are so immense, whether it be the razor-sharp style or blazingly charming cast, and while these strengths are components to the much better film that we got an all too brief glimpse of in the final act, they still spark up what we do have just enough to create an undeniably thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable final product, incredibly flawed though, it may be.

Overall, the film hits is slow occasions, yet is mostly tainted by very TV sensibilities that leave the film occasionally tight to the point of being messily frenetic, as well as prone to plummet into severe cheesiness, genericism and unsubtlety, made all the worse by jarring jumps between often flawed dark comedy and embarrasingly mishandled drama, thus leaving the film to fall short of the potential you wouldn't expect it to have, yet not to the point of being terribly bland, as it is made so very unexpectedly colorful by a lively soundtrack and Jonathan Lucas' snappily top-notch editing, as well as by an endless slow of charismatic performances, the most relatively upstanding of which being by a somewhat rather compelling Jeremy Dozier and a really, really, really hot Juno Temple, who helps greatly in making "Dirty Girl" a thoroughly entertaining and charming effort, regardless of its sadly unrealized potential.

2.5/5 - Fair
Christopher H

September 3, 2011
Juno Temple proves she can carry a film. Her sexy nature and commanding role provides this otherwise clumsy film with some grace and poise. With sentiment and life-lessons throughout, Dirty Girl fills out nicely with Milla Jovovich, William H. Macy, and even Dwight Yoakam providing much needed support to this drama/comedy. Even with the constant mood shifts, blatant and overused plot devices, and uneven story progression, there are still moments that catch your attention, bringing laughs as well as tears.
Philip P

January 18, 2012
There wasn't much of a reason I wanted to see "Dirty Girl" or for me to have even heard of the project besides the fact I happened upon a trailer for it and thought it looked rather promising. I have never thought of Juno temple as leading actress material but then again I have only seen her in a few things over the past few years. her odd, quirky face stood out though and she smacks enough sass and personality into her character here that it deserves the title and bright pink lettering that is plastered all over the poster. their is a distinctive attitude to the film and first time writer/director Abe Sylvia sets that tone perfectly with an 80's infused soundtrack and all the hair-do's and clothes filled out by a strong supportng cast make this feel all the more authentic. Along with Temple in the lead, Jeremy Dozier stars as the school gay, Clarke, who is stuck right alongside Temple's Danielle in the special kids classes. The wo set out on a road trip both in search of their indivdualistic opportunities that their home lives restrict. Milla Jovovich, Mary Steenburgen, Dwight Yoakam, William H. Macy and even Tim McGraw show up in supporting roles as the parents of this world and each brings a new ideal to the way they should raie their children. "Dirty Girl" is an entertaining little romp that has some genuinely touching moments throughout, but ultimately feels a little more distant than I think even Sylvia intended. This is certainly a work of great passion to the writer/director and sadly it slacks off when it comes to the real point, the real moral of what we should be learning or taking away from this. There is nothing new that is revealed through these characters, but still it is fun to watch and has a few great laughs sprinkled along the way.
Wu C

January 26, 2012
Better than I expected. The cast really helps sell the tale.
October 6, 2011
A hilarious and emotional tale of two loser freaks. Juno Temple and Jeremy Dozier shine in the story of Clarke and Danielle, two misfits who get partnered on a flour child assignment and after blowing off both sets of parents go searching for her biological father and end up finding themselves (it's less corny than I make it sound). Both of the leads show incredible talent, and the script rocks with every emotion conceivable. Special mention needs to go to the costume and makeup designer, who manage to match Danielle's evolving personality to her look in every scene, and to the director.....or at least, to the crew member who had the bright idea to give Joan the flour bag a changing marker face that nearly makes her as much an active character as any human in the cast. Also worth noting are the roles of the parents, played with a unique perfection by Dwight Yoakam (Clarke's dad), Mary Steenburgen (Clarke's mom), William H. Macy (Danielle's stepdad-to-be), and an unexpectedly impressive Milla Jovovich (Danielle's mom) and Tim McGraw (Danielle's absent biological father, who pops up for a brief but heavy role near the end). This is a movie that's so full of love and laughter that you'll be crying tears of pain one minute and joy the next, which makes this one of the best movies that you could hope to see.
January 15, 2012
A fun coming of age story, and one that cemented my interest in little Juno Temple, who has a great role here as the school tramp who runs away with a closeted teen that she's forced to work with for a school project, in an effort to track down her biological father.

Fun stuff, and a bit more touching than I expected it to be.
July 6, 2011
Excellent movie. Starts a little slow but it's worth it. It seems the only people who are bashing it are homophobic - which is sad. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen recently.
bloodkingitachi
May 31, 2012
Juno temple is the only reason why i imagine anyone would even watch this movie. A girl in search of her real father gets a loser mentally challenged kid to go with him. he isn't that retarded just has a certain problem heh. I did not enjoy anything except juno. Watch if only for that reason
HeroPK
February 3, 2012
Not for everybody since the tittle is a little misleading. I expected a :thirteen" or "juno" type movie, but it was a little more flamboyant than advertised. Junno Temple is a standout in this average movie.
February 1, 2012
i liked this, it's an enjoyable indie flick and the cast was really good here(especially the main duo). Juno Temple really transforms through this movie and she's really damn hot too. also loved the 'flour baby' changing faces through different scenes hah
January 19, 2012
I'll go against the grain and marginally recommend this one as it has a few good messages it wishes to convey to its audience (chances are one watching this won't need to learn those "messages", though). Dirty Girl is the story of Norman, Oklahoma girl, Danielle (Juno Temple - Atonement, Cracks, The Dark Knight Rises) -- the town's "dirty girl" as she puts out, smarts off, doesn't care etc. She always appears to be on the hunt for the new guy that can possibly get her out of the dreary town in which she is a bonafide misfit. It is 1987 rural America, and so the only person in school who is a bigger misfit than herself is the chubby and unpopular Clarke (newcomer Jeremy Dozier) -- who is a friendless closet-case (back in the time when the word "fa--ot" word was used tirelessly/acceptably to describe homosexuals). The two are paired together for a parenting project as the class's two rejects ... and form an unlikely bone -- one that grows throughout the film as the duo go in search of Danielle's true father in Fresno, California. Dirty Girl becomes a buddy road-pic as pair escape his miserable homelife complete with a homophobic and abusive father (Dwight Yoakam - Sling Blade, Panic Room, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada) and scared mother (Mary Steenburgen - Elf, Melvin & Howard, Back to the Future Part III). Danielle is attempting to flee her single mother's (Milla Jovovich - The Fifth Element, Resident Evil, Zoolander) approaching marriage to an over-zealous Morman (William H. Macy - Fargo, Boogie Nights, Wild Hogs). This is perhaps the first time I have seen Jovovich play put-upon parent and I think she was fine in the role ... for an actress that tends to play strong and fierce I was able to buy her tender vulnerability here. The film's highest praise belongs to the Dirty Girl, herself, though -- Miss Temple. Temple is a British screen star but you'd never know it here with a perfectly captured and delivered Oklahoma dialect. This is a buddy pic/road flick/coming-of-age tale that is slightly better than so-many of the others released every year. Perhaps the important sub-plot of tolerance and acceptance is what rises this above other fare but I also liked the bag of flour (!). The story isn't the most "well thought-out" and a lot of it couldn't possibly happen as presented; but I looked the other way as this was just a small picture about two small-town souls looking for acceptance in a bigger world. Their dreams cannot really be faulted.
July 11, 2014
I loved the movie, it even made me cry!! It was hilarious and entertaining. It also had some very good morals in the story.
March 1, 2014
IT'S WORSE THAN CANCER!
October 7, 2011
OK. I have to see this movie. No its not the reason you're thinking either! LOL. It takes place in Norman, OK circa 1987. Gotta see it just for that. Plus it looks pretty good too.
January 4, 2014
good fun, a lot of warmth and heart, perfectly acted by Temple and Dozier