—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Disappearance of Alice Creed Reviews

Josh L

January 15, 2013
There needs to be more films like this because I totally dig them. No mainstream actors, low budget, and a basic story that twists and turns until the final minutes and never gives the viewer time to breath. This is as suspenseful and engaging of a movie as I've seen in awhile. The acting is great too. This film didn't get much buzz because it wasn't picked up by a big distributor, but I highly recommend it if you come across it. Crime thrillers don't get a whole lot better than this these days.
Anthony L

April 12, 2013
The attention to detail in the beginning sequence was a joy to behold. Getting away with a crime is among a lot of peoples big fantasies (or is it just me?). I should point out that it is the getting away with it part that appeals the most, rather than the doing the crime bit. So, the film starts well and everything is going brilliantly until...Gemma Arterton. She brought the whole production down for me, she hammed it up big time and was horrible to see, especially as Martin Compston and Eddie Marsan were doing so well by themselves. The plot also got a little bit over the top and the conclusion is a bit of an anti-climax but there was enough here to enjoy and I was entertained throughout.
Jens S

July 5, 2010
Two men prepare an apartment, a van and a place in the woods. Very thoroughly and planned, making sure to leave no traces, their efforts are filmed in short, precise sequences. You know they are up to no good. Once their victim of abduction enters the scene this film's personnel is complete. Three characters, mostly sticking to one apartment is all this film needs for a very exciting ride and a few glimpses of grim humor. Such a minimalistic attempt has to rely on great acting and writing and it's all there. The result is intense, mean, nail-bitingly thrilling and offers quite a few surprises. One of the most interesting and well done thrillers of recent years.
garyX
garyX

June 26, 2012
A young woman is abducted off the street and kept imprisoned while her two kidnappers decide how best to extract the ransom from her father. The Disappearance Of Alice Creed puts a different spin on the kidnap story, concentrating as it does on the relationship between the kidnappers and victim rather than the police investigation and search. The entire story contains only three characters, played solidly by its little known cast and the obvious lack of a large budget means that the plot must concentrate on substance rather than style which makes a nice change for a modern thriller. The limited locations and interactions make it feel quite stagy in a similar way to 44 Inch Chest but there's rather more to the story making for a more intriguing premise and it has a similar flavour to Danny Boyle's Shallow Grave. It's gets a little repetitive and relies a little too much on the inevitable "twist" format but it's different enough from the shaky-cammed, action-orientated thrillers that have become so ubiquitous to make it worth a look.
Japes
Japes

January 25, 2012
Pretty decent movie.

I liked how the plot slowly unravelled itself. It starts out as a general kidnapping then gets more specific and goes into depth about each character's relationship with each other. With only 3 cast members, it seems like it would get pretty boring, but the acting is very believable and the movie is never boring. The different twists were very shocking and the movie overall was very well executed. It would be hard to pull a movie like this off. The writing was a little shaky, but the movie turned out quite fine. From the beginning of the movie, it seemed like it would've been really shallow, but this film really goes into depth about everything. The characters were actually fully developed! It's amazing.

*SPOILERS*
The only real problem..well not problem, but I kind of would've liked to know how Danny got in jail in the first place to meet Vic. I also would've liked to see the relationship of Danny and Alice before the kidnapping to see if Danny really loved her like he said.

Also, when they were abducting Alice, a few things made me question the reality of the kidnapping:

1) Why would they need a gag for Alice when they already sound proofed the room? If the room was sound proof then no one could hear her scream...so why would it matter? I guess to make her scared, but she is already handcuffed to a bed and can't move...was the gag necessary? Not really. I mean if they were going to gag her why would they waste money on sound proofing an entire room? Soundproofing rooms seems like it would be rather expensive.
2)Why did they strip her naked and change her clothes? To see if she had a cell phone or anything? Couldn't they have just patted her down and checked her pockets? I mean it seems like a lot of effort to take off her clothes then dress her again...while she's handcuffed to a bed nonetheless. I think that part was a little exploitative.... actually I think the two nude scenes in this movie were rather exploitative. Well the first scene was to show how Alice was humiliated, so I guess I could get that...and in the second scene Danny was kind of humiliated, but not really, so that part was definitely exploitative and unnecessary.
3)Why did Alice scream for Danny when Vic was interrogating her? Why the hell would she want Danny to come to her rescue? He almost killed her and strangled her....did she really think he would help her? That part of the movie seemed forced. The movie somehow wanted Vic to find out about Alice and Danny's relationship, but I think having Danny strangle Alice then having Alice call him for help seemed stupid. There's no way Alice would want a sociopath to help her. The writers should've thought of another way for Vic to find out.

Other than that....cool movie.
Cynthia S

October 3, 2011
A superbly done thriller, with wonderful and believable plot twists. The best feature of the film is that there are only three actors..absolutely noone else. The viewer begins to feel the isolation, and the desperation, of Alice as there is no one else to consider as a potential savior. Nothing to divert your attention from the drama of three people in mortal struggle. Plenty of twists, and a well done ending. Kudos!
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Unusual but at the same time that kept you all the more intrigued. A good film!
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
Slow paced thriller with a simple plot, that ties together with a clever twist.
skactopus
skactopus

March 9, 2011
The Disappearance of Alice Creed, from director J Blakeson, has just enough to avoid major disappointment.This film takes on the challenge of telling a 90+ minute story with only 3 characters to show. The first 5 minutes contain no dialogue, but it takes advantage of some good cinematography to setup characters and the plot, which isn't that deep to begin with.Unfortunately, the rest of the film never lives up to its noteworthy introduction. With every minor turn that helps move the story along, the suspenseful atmosphere decreases leaving things less and less entertaining. The setting, while appropriate for a film of this genre, gets stale after a while, making any change of scenery most welcome.The three cast members do enough to get this film to its conclusion. The characters themselves are rather unlikable, but Gemma Arterton is quite enjoyable and it isn't just because of her nudity.The Disappearance of Alice Creed does have room for improvement; however, what's done is done and it is a watchable movie.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 4, 2011
There is a lot of ways I could review this movie, but my written review will not take away from the star rating. This is a great movie, Really shows interesting detail in kidnapping a person, plenty of suspense and drama edge of the seat action; Eddie Masan plays the part of bad guy like no other he is the Charles Bronson of the 21 Century. Now for the negative side. No where did I read in previews or reviews what I was to see midway in this movie. If I lose friends in this review or if you delete me from your friends list because of this review then so be it. I should not have to watch a good movie only to be offended midway though it, to find two males embraced and tongue kissing. If this is your cup of tea, fine, so be it. But its a shame when the movie making to be's have to put in such scene's in order to sell a movie, Still overall storyline gets 4 stars
Drew S

December 21, 2010
I really admire The Disappearance of Alice Creed's visual construction - with very few sets, J Blakeson designs a world both utterly mundane and yet nightmarishly threatening. It really looks like an apartment that you'd get kept in if you yourself were kidnapped. Likewise, the film is peppered with shadowy close-ups and sinister profiles, never letting you feel as if you have the chance to breathe. It is chronically in your face, a sensation not quite matched by its plot, which though clever seems somewhat uninvolved and not all that ambitious. The actors give it all the life they can, but ultimately it's just hollow support for something that doesn't really have legs. The Disappearance of Alice Creed feels like a handful of twists stitched into a typical kidnapping story with very little else to distinguish itself. Good attempt, but hopefully Blakeson will be given better material to work with in a future project.
deano
deano

August 4, 2010
The small world of the story is bound by anonymous settings, such as a van and a flat. Despite a seesawing balance of power, there isn't much in the way of violent action... until the third act.
From then on there's plenty of beatings, Gemma Arterton is left completely (yes, COMPLETELY) naked on one occasion and tied to a bed. It's a lot cleverer than it seems though; there's a couple of excellent plot twists which are hard to see coming and the plot is super focused and tightly written.
Some revelations emerge, reversals and plot hiccups are held back, and the characters aren't as fixed as they seem. Eddie Marsan's buttoned-down villain has a hidden desperation that gets worse; Martin Compston's sidekick wavers between empathy and steely callousness; and Arterton's tied-to-a-bed, forced-to-pee-in-a-bottle heiress build up righteous rage which can't end happily.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 22, 2010
Cast: Gemma Arterton, Martin Compston, Eddie Marsan

Director: J Blakeson

Summary: Thinking they've cooked up the perfect crime, Vic (Eddie Marsan) and Danny (Martin Compston) abduct young heiress Alice Creed (Gemma Arterton), only to find their surefire plan unraveling as they attempt to negotiate a tidy ransom in director J Blakeson twisty thriller. As the steely Alice lies tethered to a bed, an escalating battle of wills -- and wits -- ensues when setbacks shift the balance of power.

My Thoughts: "The reason I liked this movie so much was because it all depended on the acting. Just three actors, a room, and nothing else. Great suspense thriller. There were a few twists and a few surprises. The film is pretty intense at times. Great job by these three actors. They did a great job at keeping me intrigued the entire film. I found the ending satisfying as well. A great British thriller."
familiar s

December 4, 2010
Read the synopsis of the movie already (before watching it)? Then I'd suggest not to go for the movie. While it's not absolutely unbearable, it's not a 'must watch' either.
Lewis C

April 21, 2010
"Tell him that he must pay the money, that he must do exactly as we ask or we will kill you. You tell him that you have no doubt that we will kill you."

The Disappearance of Alice Creed is a brutal little thriller about a woman who gets kidnapped by two men, who plan to use her to ransom £2 million from her wealthy father. The kidnapping itself goes flawlessly, and once she's securely locked up, there seems to be little that can go wrong to keep the men from getting the money. But, that wouldn't make for a very interesting movie, would it? Things go wrong, and the best-made plan can still end up being a disaster.

I was somewhat expecting The Disappearance of Alice Creed to be your standard kidnap and escape kind of movie, but I have to give it credit for throwing enough wrinkles in to make itself somewhat unique. The relationships between the two kidnappers and the title character end up being more complex than they initially seemed, and cracks of distrust turn the initially well-executed plan into a situation that perhaps no one will survive.

There's a strong current of tension that starts with the dialogue-free beginning and continues all the way to the very end. That's pretty impressive, in my opinion, and I hasn't seen many movies lately that keep things that taut for the entire time. In addition to the story, the acting was solid, as well. When a movie really only involves three actors (Gemma Arterton, Martin Compston, and Eddie Marsan), one weak link could ruin it. Thankfully, that's not the case, here.

Still, I'm not the greatest fan in the world of these kinds of movies, so even a good one like this (and it is good) has a hard time blowing me away. If you're a genre fan, though, I think you'll be pleased.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

September 12, 2010
Small budget, yet superb intrigue. A kidnapping story that breaks the usual formula, by offering some unexpected twists and turns. Gemma Amerton is quickly becoming a shooting star, and altough she is good in movies like Prince of Persia and Clash of the Titans, it's here that she gives positive proof of her stellar abilities as an actress. A movie that starts off great and ends just the same, without any dull moments inbetween. In other words, well-worth a look!
c0up
c0up

November 11, 2010
'The Disappearance of Alice Creed'. Beautifully acted by the three person cast, with thrills, suspense and twists galore! Watch it!
gor41
gor41

October 17, 2010
Sparse, gripping thriller with excellent performances backed by stylish direction.
Screeny
Screeny

August 8, 2010
A very dark, tense thriller that seizes to capture our entertainment. Its well performed, acted, and written. The twists will come to great surprise...and so won't the movie. A tense movie from beginning to end. See it.