Movies Like Doctor Detroit

December 15, 2007
Hilarious!
MovieGuruDude72
June 25, 2011
For a short period of time in the early 1980s someone gave Dan aykroyd free reign to mass produce silly and idiotic comedies like this. Kind of like how Adam Sandler has it now only less funny. One good thing did come of this film. Aykroyd met his future wife Donna Dixon which STILL BOGGLES MY MIND. And oh yeah, this comedy is awful. Avoid. Seriously. Like Anthrax.
July 7, 2007
Dan Aykroyd in truly rare form. I haven't seen this film in years, but I remember it as one of my favorites from that time period.
piscesgirley75
June 19, 2007
This was the first movie I ever seen at a Drive in Theater and it's been one of my all time favorites.
rideswithastorm
April 7, 2007
This is about as cool as it gets, old school..LOL.. funny and nostalgic.
The Godfather of soul, the funky man himself, JAMES BROWN, does his J>B> "thing" and it is bad-ass. SEE it,people.
splittailluvr
October 6, 2006
The modern Jeckel & Hyde movie of the college professor / pimp who with a bevy of lovely ladies that surround him and try to protect him from the evil Mom pimp.
SarfarazAbbasi
October 29, 2011
One of the worst comedy films from Dan Aykroyd - I don't know what were Carl Gottilen Rpnert Npros, Bruce Jay Friedman thinking. A complete disastrous movie.
May 20, 2013
This movie was outstanding. Not just because Dan Aykroyd is in it, but also Fran Drescher and a fabulous cameo by James Brown. I wonder why it isn't on TV?
Not Liberty Valance
December 10, 2012
I kind of love this movie. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's very enjoyable. Although both times I watched it it was 1A.M. and I was deathly tired.
December 9, 2012
Wanna see a movie that has a dance number completely comprised of Pimps and Hookers? Watch this movie.
June 2, 2012
A comedy without much comedy, but a whole heaping helping of weird!
KevinRobbins
March 23, 2012
I want that man charged with impersonating a cracker.

A pimp who works for his mother's organized crime ring has lost all of his money. He doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions so he cons a college professor into working for him and then the pimp disappears. The professor finds himself running a group of prostitutes that doesn't want to work for the pimp's mother. Can the professor work all day as a professor and all night as a pimp?

"Are you a taxi?"
"No, jerk-off, I'm a person. But I drive a taxi and it's outside."

Michael Pressman, director of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Frankie and Johnny are Married, A Season of Miracles, and Saint Maybe, delivers Doctor Detroit. The storyline for this picture is classic 80s comedy genre and is of course, ridiculous, but fun to watch unfold. The comedic content is a bit inconsistent and the cast delivers entertaining performances. The cast includes Dan Aykroyd, Howard Hesseman, Donna Dixon, Fran Drescher, Lynn Whitfield, and Hank Salas.

"No, I will not sell my own mother."

Doctor Detroit is a movie my wife remembered from her childhood and DVR'd it for our viewing. I had never seen this picture which is surprising since I love Aykroyd and Chevy Chase pictures from the 80s. While this movie isn't Aykroyd's best film, it is definitely entertaining and worth your time. There are some very funny scenes and this reminded me of Nothing But Trouble. I recommend seeing this film if you're a fan of 80s comedies.

"The doctor doesn't work and he doesn't pay."

Grade: B-
August 20, 2011
Old 80's comedies with Dan Ackroyd are so much fun. You don't have to say they are great...but they are just pure fun. Watching this at home all these years later it still brings laughs and memories of days past. Thanks Dan.
April 6, 2011
The funniest Dan Aykroyd flick you've never heard of.
David H.
December 17, 2010
Mostly when i watch Comedys i laugh inside but this one bring me to laugh my Head off again and again such funny Situations, freaky Characters, Fresh Dialogues and Funky Music Defently a High Class 80's Burner and Fran Drescher in the 80's really was a Hottie
hotdog213
July 22, 2008
Ok, this movie is definitely one of the typical 80's movies....but, in it's defense, you will absolutely get a few whole hearted laughs out of it! Take it for what it is, a short 80's no-brainer comedy to fill an evening at home and you will most certainly enjoy it!!