43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Don Juan DeMarco Reviews

Carlos M

August 26, 2011
Marlon Brando seems miscast in this film but this is compensated by a passionate Johnny Depp, who shines as an incurable, eternal romantic. A refreshing story about love and romance, and the main song will be stuck in your head for quite a while after the movie is over.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 3, 2006
This is an extremely charming, fun, and romantic film about a psychiatrist who is given ten days (his final ten days before his retirement as it turns out) to treat a young patient who believes with all of his being that he is Don Juan, the world's greatest lover. Problems arise when the doc, and some of the hospital staff, all start to fall under his magical spell and get swept away by his cham, passion, and presence.

This film is mostly light, but tons of fun and very charming. Johhny Depp is excellent, and he has a field day playing Don Juan. Marlon Brando is decent, and it's fun seeing him go toe to toe with Depp, but this isn't one of his better performances. It's not terrible, but he looks like he's mostly coasting through it. Dunaway is okay, but I would have liked her role to have maybe been a little more substantial.

The music and cinematography are both great, and, though this film feels maybe a little undercooked, it's still satisfying enough.
Lady D

August 4, 2006
I rarely get girly over heart-throb Actors, but if Johnny Depp wasn't tempting enough, in this film he appears as the World's greatest lover too!

A romanticised Drama, with a phychological touch, enjoyable and easy watching.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
So, Depp plays a Don Juan, a womanizer, who's overly romantic, just what every one of his fans wishes he was like... And that's it, there's nothing more to it, really. Not being a big fan of his, I was just really annoyed by this.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 9, 2009
Long ago I saw this Movie. I just remember the Sea Shore scene.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
An abysmal script and weak performances from the entire cast. It was a complete waste of screen time between Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp, two extremely gifted actors. The story is corny and just idiotic, a complete waste of time.
Summer W

September 3, 2007
The movie is OK, but the real prize here of course is Depp.
Daniel P

June 18, 2007
This is instantly one of my favourites: I can't believe I never saw it before. I can only knock it for the ending: it could've ended at the word "Queens" and made a much more powerful point about therapy. It would appear, rather, that the point is related to romanticism... I guess that's okay. Beautifully done film, Depp had me eating out of his hand the whole way.
Mike T

July 4, 2006
A strange, whimsical movie whose flaws seem minor enough considering how entertaining it is. Unfortunately, a lot of people only remember the late work of Marlon Brando for his weight. They seem to forget that he was stll a vibrant and immensely talented actor. He does a great job in this, as does Johnny Depp.
Tecnoandre
Tecnoandre

July 5, 2011
Starring Johnny Depp as John Arnold DeMarco, a man who believes himself to be Don Juan, the greatest lover in the world. Clad in a cape and domino mask, DeMarco undergoes psychiatric treatment with Marlon Brando's character, Dr. Jack Mickler, to cure him of his apparent delusion. But the psychiatric sessions have an unexpected effect on the psychiatric staff, some of whom find themselves inspired by DeMarco's delusion; the most profoundly affected is Dr. Mickler himself, who rekindles the romance in his complacent marriage.
The movie is based on two different sources; the modern-day story is based on director/screenwriter Jeremy Leven's short story Don Juan DeMarco and the Centerfold (the movie's original title before the studio changed it shortly before release), while the flashbacks depicting DeMarco's back-story are based on the more familiar legend of Don Juan, especially as told by Lord Byron in his version of the legend.Very romantic movie with great performance by Marlon Brando and exquisit theme music.Really a surprise for me.
qtmemoe
qtmemoe

July 24, 2007
Marlon Brando was the best thing going in this movie(though johnny depp looks real hot) he & faye together..You could just see that great, sexy actor that every body fell in love with when he was a "kid'...
Nikki M

July 14, 2007
Awe, Johnny as the perfect man! Haha
moviegirl50
July 31, 2006
Very believable that Depp could be Don Juan :) and a surprisingly super nice performance from Marlon Brando as the psychiatrist swept away by the romanticism of his patient. I was very surprised at how much I liked this movie.
April 3, 2012
I have to admit Johnny Depp is a good looking man. I can see why women all tend to find him irresistible. If you are insecure in your love life that I would recommend keeping your significant other from seeing Don Juan DeMarco as they will surely be thinking about him for days to come. Don Juan DeMarco is an interesting movie featuring two of America's greatest actors Johnny Depp and the late Marlon Brando sharing screen time in in a funny and thought provoking fashion. Depp is Don Juan a man who is brought to a mental hospital for trying to commit suicide. While the entire staff thinks he is crazy Dr. Jack Mickler (Brando) wants to hear more about how this young man believes he is the worlds greatest lover. The story has inklings of Don Quixote de la Mancha but does so in a modern and more relateable fashion. Don Juan's story is as believable as it is unbelievable which keeps the viewer guessing on whether he is insane or truly Don Juan. For the most part I hate endings that keep the viewer guessing but for this movie I would have preferred that approach as the ending really hampered the otherwise fantastic paradox...what is reality?
olewarhrse
May 25, 2012
For a movie that went under the radar this is an entertaining movie. My expectations were low, thats why I think I gave it that high of a rating. Taught me just lie to psychatrists and I'll be healthy!
juliantoepfer
September 26, 2011
Monumentally overrated. Just about the worst Depp performance I can recall. Seems forced and over dramatic. Brando doesn't fare much better, as this is a role he clearly struggled with.
moviemaniacgirl
moviemaniacgirl

June 24, 2008
Filled with wonderful sparks of passion emanating from Depp, Brando and Dunaway; the film was wonderfully unfolded and deliciously sensual. intriguing and romantic-- certainly a film for all lovers.

Overall, not much to be said, because it's simply a sweet and relaxed film that should be seen.
lovnkhvkht
June 21, 2011
A young man (Johnny Depp) in a cape, mask, and old-school Spanish garb winds up in the looney bin (yes, it was that sort of movie viewing weekend since we saw K-Pax the day before). He tells doctors that he is a descendent of Don Juan, the famous lover. Certainly from what we see of his credentials at the beginning of the film, it seems like a fair bet.

Dr. Mickler (Marlon Brando) takes on the case only to find that as Don Juan tells his story, his own life is becoming transformed. The real delight in this for me was the flashback storytelling done by Depp's character. It is perfectly in the old style of movie making and story telling, while retaining just enough modern honesty that Depp's comments occasionally are hilarious in their effect. Overall an enjoyable light film.
Maggie9731
April 5, 2011
Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp. Love this story about a man who loves women. All men should see this movie---lol might learn from it. Shows about how 10 day evaluations work for troubled minds too.
May 30, 2010
Johnny made me believe he was Don Juan. That man is so sexy. He could sell me a burlap sack and make me think it was cashmere. I love him!