Downtown Reviews

½ May 20, 2014
This was a very impressive cop buddy action movie. It takes place in the slums of Philly and revolves around a patrolman who gets tossed up to the city's worst precinct after a flub when pulling over a rich asshole. He's matched up with a loose cannon for a partner. It's Lethal Weapon material for sure except that's not much of a criticism since the movie was actually entertaining. If cheesy, but entertaining with a rather good performance by Whitaker and from Joe Pantoliano who plays a menacing bald assistant to the villain of the movie. His death scene by way of a wood chipper is worth checking out the movie.
½ May 5, 2007
This is a film from the 1990s that is underrated. A great action film with some good humor, almost like Lethal Weapon. Anthony Edwards and Forest Whitaker star in this film as cops who are partners dealing with currupt businessmen. A movie for all action fans.
½ December 14, 2014
Predictable but affable fish-out-of-water/buddy-cop comedy. Anthony Edwards is a wide-eyed cop from the 'burbs who gets sent "Downtown." Forest Whitaker is his new partner who shows him the ropes of the downtown streets. What the film lacks in originality, it makes up for with thanks to a decent cast, but in particular Whitaker. Still, when the film tries to take a serious turn, it really falls apart. Richard Benjamin directed this film and I'd always wanted to see something come out of him as good as "My Favorite Year" though after looking at most of Benjamin's filmography ("My Stepmother is an Alien" or "City Heat") I'm pretty sure "My Favorite Year" owes most of it's success to the script and cast rather than to Benjamin. "Downtown" also features Penelope Ann, Joe Pantoliano, Art Evans and Glenn Plummer, who for a short while seems to appear in everything from "Showgirls" to "Strange Days." I will give this film points for doing a wood chipper scene six years before "Fargo" although the Coen Brothers did it better.