Drag Me to Hell Reviews

½ October 28, 2009
Wasnt sure if this was movie from Jeff Dunham or a movie about me having to wake up and go to work . . it was worse it was another horror flick that just seemed eeeh
Samuel Riley
April 16, 2013
If I loved films like I do now about 4 years ago, I would've went ballistic when I saw Sam Raimi at Forbidden Planet for this film's release. However, since I wasn't, I feel gutted that I missed that chance. To be honest I heard mixed views on this film; others were frightened, others didn't find it scary. Lets face it, this is Sam Raimi; the creator of 'The Evil Dead' Trilogy. If you're a film fan, you should know that there is bound to be some comical elements in Raimi's horror films. It's because of this, I enjoyed the film a lot more than I expected. Featuring superb scenes of ridiculous violence, this is highly recommended for Sam Raimi fans. Just one final thing to add: for some reason, the ending made me chuckle.
½ June 21, 2009
This marked somewhat of a return to form for Sam Raimi, and, given that it came out after the conclusion of the immense Spider-Man trilogy, it was a nice breath of fresh air, especially since it was a far smaller affair.

Christine Brown is a young and determined loan officer on the fast track to success. When she makes a tough decision which results in the eviction of an elderly lady, she finds herself victim to an evil curse, and finds she has only three days to persuade the dark spirit to relent, otherwise she'll be dragged to Hell to be tormented for all eternity.

Pretty simple, basic plot, sure, but Raimi gets quite a bit of mileage out of it, and it really is a nice return of sorts to the darkly comedic tongue-in-cheek, horror schlock he cut his teeth on. He employs every kind of trick imaginable, and the result is a pretty fun and slick supernatural coaster ride. However, even though the film has a nice creepy vibe, it mostly relies on jump scares, shock moments, and gross outs instead of pure outright terror.

Alison Lohman takes the lead, and she really gets put through the ringer here. She is also to be commended for doing her own stunt work as well. She gives a nice, and backing her up are Justin Long as Christine's supportive boyfriend, Dileep Rao as a spiritual advisor who tries to help her, and Lorna Raver as the old woman who unleashes the curse. She's the real breakout her, and makes for a quite creepy and memorable presence.

It's a little tough at first who the audience should sympathize with, but the case is made for each side, and there is some development instead of just being a showcase for effects and directorial flair. It's not really anything more than light fare, but it does have a strong ending, and proves quite entertaining, so give it a shot.
June 8, 2010
Drag Me To Hell is Sam Raimi's first horror picture since 1992's Army Of Darkness has been hailed by critics as one of the best horror films in recent memory. For Me, I thought most of the film was very silly at times and the film relied too much on gross-out Horror. However the film did provide some jump scares and it was somewhat entertaining despite the flaws, but to call it the best Horror film of the year is very overrated. I felt disappointed by this effort by Sam Raimi which I admire as a talented director and I highly enjoyed the Evil Dead films. however, Drag Me To Hell didn't deliver what I expected. I felt it was over hyped. Considering Raimi has been capable of so much more, this is a surprisingly average horror film that delivers on the gross out horror elements and jump scares. My thoughts on jump scares is that they're effective, but I much prefer a strong atmospheric horror film where you really don't know what will happen, and when something scary will happen. Drag Me to Hell had scary moments, but it only lasted for a certain period of time. For example, there was one jump scare that made you feel uneasy, but immediately afterwards the fear drifted away and it just didn't have the powerful elements that made The Evil Dead series such a unique film to watch. I enjoyed, but I've seen so much better than this, and really this film relies more on jump scares and gross out moments to try and terrify you, thus it's not as good as I would hope. The film lacked a slow, tense atmosphere which would make films like this stand out. Unfortunately Sam Raimi has been out of the horror game for far too long, and is clearly struggling with great material here. Enjoyable film, but not the greatest horror film to out in a long time as every critic has claimed it to be.
October 21, 2011
A thrilling and hilarious film that will make you jump out of your seat just as many times as it will make you laugh hysterically. I thought Raimi had forgotten his Evil Dead chops.
½ October 2, 2011
It's beyond me how everyone thinks this film is good! It's seriously stupid....and I never use the word stupid to describe films.
½ March 5, 2011
Drag Me To hell is one of my favorite horror films and is the best pop out horror film to date. The plot was actually interesting and twisted like Saw. The cast was great and just as cheesy as I love in a horror movie. They claim this to be a comedy, and as I watch it twice I see that they secretly put in moments that are so ridiculous that we are supposed to laugh, which I did. The horror was great, I loved the pop out moments, I am a sucker for pop out horror films. This movie is great, I recommend it to all horror fans.
August 25, 2011
Thoroughly entertaining comic horror and a welcome return to the horror genre for Sam Raimi. The film centers around a female loan officer who has a curse placed on her by a gypsey woman who was refused an extension on her house loan thus making her homeless - the curse will see the poor loan officer being dragged to hell in three days! It's one of those rare films that's actual funny and quite scary at the same time, something I haven't experienced since the same directors Evil Dead films. It may not be as gory as the Evil Dead but there are some grossly humourous moments and some great make-up and effects work. Real good fun, definitely worth watching!
½ January 22, 2011
Very original film with plenty of thrills and chills to satisfy you. I loved it. Evil Dead and campy horror fans will be happy, highly recommend.
June 23, 2011
One of the scariest films I've seen in a while! The old lady was extremely frightening and when she started tapping her long nails across the desk I already started having horrible shivers down my spine. A must see!
½ May 16, 2009
Tongue-in-cheek horror that never takes itself too seriously. *SEE ALSO: The Frighteners, Army of Darkness, Ding Dong You're Dead, etc.
February 8, 2011
Absolutely preposterous in every way. Go see it now. Seriously.
½ May 26, 2009
A young banker is cursed by an old gypsy woman and desperately tries to find a way to break the spell before she is consigned to the pit. Obviously owing much to the kinds of hokey horror compendium's produced by Hammer and the like, Drag Me To Hell is obviously Sam Raimi trying to return to his roots but this is no Evil Dead 2. It has a lot more in common with the likes of Poltergeist but Raimi's comic strip approach doesn't really sit well with that kind of earnest horror story and because of this it falls between two stools. It takes itself way too seriously to be fun but is too flip in its approach to be taken seriously and the flimsy plot makes it seem more like an extended episode of Creepshow than a feature. It certainly has its moments (I always enjoy a DIY midnight exhumation!) and is way better than 99% of the dozens of lame ass horror films that seem to get released every year, but it's far from classic Raimi.
January 8, 2011
The best horror film since the Evil Dead Trilogy. Sam Raimi's tell tale style is stamped all over this, injecting large amounts of slapstick comedy into a graphic and at times sickening horror.

Alison Lohman puts in a fantastic performance as the hapless lead, cursed by an old gypsy woman for refusing to extend her loan with the bank and now damned to be 'dragged to hell' in 3 days time by a force of darkness.

Don't be put off by the billing of Justin Long, hes not in it that much.
½ July 23, 2010
A very original and scary movie. It's got jump scares but there effective. It's also kind of funny too but in a good way. A-
August 20, 2010
I honestly couldn't finish watching this movie. I really did not enjoy it at all.

The scene from the beginning pretty much summed up the movie for me. Even though the people are speaking spanish, they can at least try to act. They were horrible actors. After the son had just gone to hell, the mom didn't seem too emotionally disturbed. I've seen a lot of movies from spanish speaking countries, and those people were really good actors. Just because you're speaking a different language doesn't give you the right to act badly.

The story line also just seems stupid, in my opinion. In the office, with the old woman being a freaker, and Christine calling security- was actually somewhat amusing. Then in the car and the "grandma fight" OMG please. That was such a stupid scene- a young girl fighting with an old lady, and the old lady was winning. It's called getting in your car and driving away. Don't look around to see if the crazy lady is still there. If it's one thing I hate in movies, it's stupid characters. Characters who make bad decisions are really unlikeable, and I didn't really care whether she went to hell or not. Then in the graveyard, she had another "dramatic" fight with the old woman, and again the old woman was winning even though she had *SPOILER* already died and was in her grave. Christine was also quite a bitch if I do say so myself. She goes off on people throughout the entire movie- Stu, her boss, her cat (whom she murders), the psychic....I think she deserved to *SPOILER* go to Hell. One minute she's so sweet and kind, then the next she's screaming and throwing a temper tantrum over nothing. She has a major personality disorder.

There were also a lot of cheap scares like the handkerchief flying into the windshield, etc. A lot of scares were over used and after a while it got boring. For example, the handkerchief attacked her twice (once at the beginning, once at the end), the old lady had her mouth open and was "biting" the girl probably about 5 times throughout the entire movie. The old lady was practically making out with Christine. It was gross and weird, but after the second time I was so tired of it. It was more annoying than anything. Then you see the old lady's scary face about a bajillion times throughout the movie. That gets old really fast. The lady was indeed creepy for the first half hour of the movie, but after that she was just a nuisance. Then the different fights like I mentioned before with the old woman and Christine. They became very annoying. They had at least 3 fights with each other- none of which were the least bit entertaining.

This movie is also VERY predictable. You know before you even turn the movie on that either Christine or her boyfriend, Clay are going to Hell. It's inevitable. When do scary movies, ever not have a twist? So when the end came and *SPOILER* we found out that Christine made a mistake and didn't give the gift to the old woman, it wasn't much of a surprise.

This movie did not scare me at all. It was more humorous and disgusting than anything. I would not watch this movie again, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.
May 26, 2009
This horror flick breathes the spirit of the 80s through and through, despite of taking place in our time. The whole making of the film is wonderfully old fashioned too, reminiscent of classics like "Poltergeist". We've already established in the Evil Dead films that director Raimi likes his characters to beat up old women, and takes it to a whole new level here. Protagonist Alison Lohman doesn't get away much better either, though. The list of things and fluids that end up in her mouth in this film is unheard of. The film is very entertaining, although not too horribly scary most of the time. The disgust effects are so over the top that you can't help but laugh, which was certainly intended, too. Unfortunately the ending falls short, mostly for being flat out predictable and too regular for the genre. Still, fans should get a kick out of the film.
July 14, 2010
I was really excited to hear that Sam Raimi was going to have his hands in this genre again. This was simply one of the best mainstream horror films to come out in some time.
Why? It was unpretentious, laugh out-loud funny, likeable while still giving you a start at every turn. This is the kind of movie that just drops things on your head because it can.
The acting is great as Alison Lohman stretches her wings and Justin Long comes along for the ride (quite likeable).
There were some scenes where I was literally grabbing my sides I was laughing so much and then seconds later thrown backwards due to a fearsome jolt.
There is nothing deep about the plot. There is nothing new about the origins, but the execution was masterful and it was just amazing fun to watch.
Check this out when you have a penchant for horror mixed in with your tongue in cheek.
July 19, 2010
I watched this movie in the middle of the afternoon and it still startled the snot out of me. It's so creepy, gross and has a scary as hell old lady all over it! I thought it was really good and there was a lesson to be learned in all of it.. be kind to others or they will curse your buttons!