Dreamchild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dreamchild Reviews

½ January 26, 2011
Living up to it's title a dreamy film of the aged Alice's half memories of her childhood and Lewis Carroll interwoven with sequences of animated characters from the story and her present day, the 30's, trip to receive an honorary degree. Nice sense of time and place and a truly lovely performance by Coral Browne as the grownup Alice.
July 3, 2008
Quite good story behind the girl who was the inspiration for Alice in wonderland.
April 5, 2013
I saw the film when it opened and later rented it on VHS (not available on DVD yet.) A beautiful and heart wrenching film. Ian Holm as "Lewis Carroll" was sadly overlooked by the Oscars that year. The Muppet/Puppet scenes may strike modern audiences as a bit odd, but they add more charm and realism than CG could. One not to miss if/when it is ever shown. Send requests in to TCM.
½ January 26, 2013
An interesting, underrated delve into the history of one of our most beloved stories. The mesmerizing performances, surreal atmosphere and all around heart make this a memorable experience worthy of anyone willing to step through the looking glass.
June 8, 2012
Ian Holm is brilliant as the misunderstood, stuttering intellect responsible for the Alice In Wonderland stories. Shame on the film award circles for not recognising this exceptional performance!
March 11, 2012
Amazing film.amazing Coral Browne. I can't understand the "info"
Mr. Erickson shares e.g. the film is "lightened": by those to me terrifying
and grotesque characters of Jim Henson. And I thought the "long-sur
pressed secret" which was revealed to Alice was that she loved him too.
Roberta Hodes
½ July 22, 2010
I must point out one fundamental flaw in this movie that has the ambition of picturing a possible realistic view of the relationship between Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll.

Alice Liddell: born May 4, 1852
Lewis Carroll: born January 27, 1832
Ian Holm: born July 12, 1931
Dreamchild: shot in 1985

So the producers chose a 54 year old man to play Lewis Carroll, who was exactly half his age, 27 years old, when Alice Liddell was 7 years old. Why perpetuate the "dirty old man" false preconception as a visible fact when everything else in the movie is done to dispel it? If the producers wanted to be realistic, why not take a 27 year-old man for the role?

As a Lewis Carroll fan, I cannot give this movie a better rate than 50% for this blatant mistake.