Drop Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drop Zone Reviews

½ August 29, 2015
Standard police vs. the bad guys shoot-em-up with the hook being that there's a hella lot of skydiving driving the piece. That's pretty cool, too, lots of action off the ground, and way off the ground. Still I wished for more time for the characters to develop relationships between each other so you could give a damn one way or the other who was dropping out of the sky. If straight action is for you, then you could do worst than this.
½ July 31, 2011
I remember when this came out it was quite a big action flick for Snipes, its funny when you look back on these old films and see how bad they really were hehe. One of two skydiving flicks released in the same year (much like the two Robin Hood flicks) but quite different from each other surprisingly.
This film is a slight rip on the far superior 'Point Break' in my humble opinion, just replace surfing with skydiving and you pretty much know what I'm talking about plot wise and action wise.

Problem is the action is rather dull, repetitive and dated even back then with a boring gang of baddies lead by the too old Gary Busey and a whole host of similar aerial set pieces that are clearly not the stars haha. Very much a by the numbers action flick that isn't as good as other by the numbers action flicks.
kpn666
½ June 29, 2006
Wesley hits the air time again, as a US Marshall pursuing a computer genius who was kidnapped at high altitude by a group of elite parachutists and ex law enforcement and soldiers. Knowing that the kidnappers and his prisoner is still alive, he takes to the skies with the aid of a crazy drop expert and her equally crazy team , learning how to parachute, as well following the trail of the kidnappers, who have a bad guy agenda to make millions, by utilizing their skills.

Wesley can't get enough of high altitude, and honestly, if we had mroe cops and security like Snipes, we'd be a hella lot safer! But anyways, this movie, like Passenger 57, set the bar again for a new kind of action. A mix of gun play, fist-cuffs and sky diving embroiled in an average though believable plot, makes for a pretty good flick.

And why not? This is one of the earliest movies to take extreme sports to the big screen in a big way, and the sky diving cinematography was excellent, most of the time. But the cast was good, another bad guy in the form of bad ass Gary Busey. Snipes, once again, is a flawed and vulnerable character, and is pretty much a novice when it comes sky diving. But considering what he's up against, he had to learn how to fly pretty fast, before the ground or the bad guys get him, whichever comes first.

So welcome to the daredevil world of sky diving.... and Wesley Snipes. XD
September 10, 2009
I haven't ever skydived before, but I do like watching movies about skydiving. I also liked "Terminal Velocity," but "Drop Zone" is a lot better. Wesley Snipes stars as a U.S. Marshal who tries to catch some terrorists that hijacked a plane that he was on and their actions resulted in the death of his brother. Snipes believes that it was a set up, but he's the only one that thinks that, so it's up to him to figure it out by himself. To do this, Wesley Snipes learns a new hobby and starts skydiving himself while trying to figure out and catch the terrorists in action.
"Drop Zone" is a good movie. Its plot might be choppy in parts, but that's about the only thing wrong with the movie. The skydiving sequences are the best and most exciting I've ever seen in any movie, and Wesley Snipes is hilarious in some parts such as when he skydives for the first time and screams the whole way down. The movie's soundtrack is another good thing about the movie.

Whether you like skydiving or not, if you like good action movies I recommend getting "Drop Zone." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001.
January 8, 2007
Only just got round to finally watching this action film from the early nineties! It's pretty good for the action films that were around at the time and certainly enjoyable enough to be worth checking out if you haven't seen it already. Quite similar to Point Break but with sky divers!
April 24, 2008
bad bad film.What were you thinking mr snipes.
sanjurosamurai
January 22, 2007
really fun movie, made me wanna sky dive. classic snipes back in the day
deano
November 29, 2006
Extreme cool on sky-diving sequences with my favourite black actor Wesley Snipes.
KevinTheMovieManiac
½ May 22, 2009
What the hell Wesley Snipes?? You are better than this!! I can say that the plot is very silly. About sky diving terrorists...and yeah it gets old fast!! I dont want to sit through a movie when people jump thourgh the damn air! i would have loved to see a gun battle in mid air! That would have been so kick ass right! But noooo we cant be that inventive, we have to have little lame dialogue scenes and corny as fuck perfomances. Even Gary Busey( a great character actor) cant even save this piece of shit! I didnt even get what was going on all the time. The shootout at the begging of the film was cool but other than that this movie was a waste of time!

P.S. What the Hell Happened to Wesley Snipes what did you dissapear??!! Come back to planet earth you kick ass action star!!
½ September 7, 2012
There are some good action moments. The skydiving aspect added a good sense of fun to the action. This is not up there with the top action films, but is a worthy watch.
January 14, 2014
The premise is fine. But, the movie goes on for too much time! Even at 101 minutes, the movie could've done with some tightening. The crooks pull off two major heists after the opening action sequence, when one extra would've done it.

Wesley Snipes is good here, as is the rest of the cast. John Badham's direction is serviceable, as usual. But, the writing, which took a lot of screenwriters!, needed the trimming. Hans Zimmer does a good job with the film score, although this score two years later for John Woo's "Broken Arrow" sounds fairly similar.

By the end, I was losing interest, when I should have had the most.
½ July 1, 2012
Mindless entertainment where Snipes takes on Gary Busey... set against the backdrop of the world of skydiving. It's not good, but has a cheesy charm to it.
½ December 21, 2010
NOT EVEN CLOSE: There was something a bit odd about this whole movie and then it hit me BLACK PEOPLE don't jump out of planes.. Plus a remake would be good just include more ass kicking. I would not mind being type casted as the type that kicks ass.
½ November 9, 2009
Highly underrated movie IMO and maybe one of Snipes best. This movie captures what was best about 90's action thrillers.
October 17, 2007
another one of my 90s action personal cult favorites. the ultimate wesley snipes action package. the skydiving scenario gave it an extra touch of "cool." when i was 11, i remember wanting to go skydiving after watching this film.
½ September 8, 2007
Wesley Snipes stars in this gimmicky cop thriller revolving around sky divers. Think Point Break minus the surfers but oddly both staring Gary Busey. A fun brain numbing little film.
½ June 2, 2007
Not too bad of a movie, actually. Doesn't look like too many people have seen it...it's a good action flick you can sit back and watch.
½ September 13, 2006
Snipes, an actor that I like a lot, actually, seems lost in this parachuting thriller that's not much more thrilling than Coleman Francis' "The Skydivers."
November 15, 2006
Wesley Snipes is the man. I love how physical Wesley Snipes preformances always are. This is a good movie.