• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Drowning Mona Reviews

Apeneck F

September 14, 2011
Borrows a lot from drawing room/dinner theater mysteries because everyone but everyone wants to see the victim dead ... and transports the action to some po-dunk upstate New York town. Alas the scenery change - nor the sad Yugo as the victim of countless sad jokes - can jump start the inertia felt here.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 14, 2009
uummm not to shore whether this was good or not really it was vaguly amusing but not much of a story i guess different people have different taste !! give it a go !
deano
deano

August 6, 2007
This dark, tasteless, and cynical comedy is funny as hell, although the suggestively violent segments may repel mainstream viewers. It's a warped murder mystery involving a roster of nitwit suspects so hilariously feeble-minded that they can't help but look guilty... particularly since everybody in the entire hamlet of Verplanck, New York, loathed the victim. Peter Steinfeld aptly calls his script a "white-trash Murder on the Orient Express."
Michael G

July 31, 2007
Admittedly, Drowning Mona has some genuinely hilarious moments. But because 90-95% of it was wandering crap with no focus or point, I can't remember those moments. Or bear to go into any more detail about this movie. If you genuinely love this movie I feel sorry for you.
Cindy I

May 21, 2007
Watch the trailer instead...it's better. It must be. It convinced me to spend a evening watching this.
Bradley W

March 1, 2014
Drowning Mona doesn't leave an impression on you and will be forgotten quickly. Just not funny.
Joseph E

June 14, 2010
I rather drive myself into a lake after seeing this.
Naughtia
Naughtia

May 15, 2010
This movie is about Mona who ends up driving her car into a river where she dies. After her death everyone in town becomes a suspect. This movie has a lot of talented actors and they're all combined into this funny and strange comedy movie. Mona is played by Bette Midler and I can't see how any other actor would have played this part any better because she's obnoxious and annoying and one can't but wonder how people wouldn't want her gone.
Sunil J

April 14, 2008
A really funny but dark comedy mystery where anyone could have done it.
johnattridge
johnattridge

August 25, 2008
With the combined star talents of Danny DeVito, Bette Midler, Jamie Lee Curtis, Casey Affleck, Neve Campbell and Will Ferrell I was expecting a decent, if mediocre comedy in 'Drowning Mona'. In the end I got a couple of chuckles, nothing more. The film plays out like an extremely poor attempt at excessive and silly humour, but it comes across as lame, untidy and unfunny.

The film recounts the drowning of the titular Mona who drives her car off a cliff, and how each member of the small town might have a part to play in her death. Was it murder, attempted murder or suicide? Frankly, I never cared. Not one part of the script makes you care for any of these characters, or the plot revelations. Everything just unfolds, in a haphazard sort of way, and all you can do is endure.

All of the performances are off-key; the only one I would be willing to grant an exception being Neve Campbell's, who is adequate as the ditzy fiancÚ to her equally bemusing boyfriend. The rest are simply caricatures. A few times I wondered if that may be the point, but there are too many lines that really try for moving dialogue; I couldn't see it. Bette Midler comes across as brash and abrasive, Casey Affleck uncertain and Curtis just speaks her words with a cocky bravado. None of the characters have any redeeming qualities worth mentioning.

The only funny jokes that make their way into the screenplay just feel like they belong to a separate picture. 'Drowning Mona' has a major problem with tone; one minute it's a slapstick comedy, the next a B-rate thriller. It moves up and down too frequently, each scene belonging to itself rather than making a complete and cohesive whole.

Conclusively, 'Drowning Mona' just doesn't work. I don't hate it, but neither do I appreciate any of its attempts at comedy, right up to the awful wedding finale where the characters briefly reunite over some lousy pop music. (Actually, I do hate that part). The film is immature, crude and dull, full of a bunch of aggravating characters who I wouldn't mind seeing at the bottom of a river either. No investigation necessary. Case closed.
rodjeckrich
January 8, 2013
Not funny and just an annoyingly bad movie. Danny DeVito isn't bad but Casey Affleck is one of the worst actors around. What's with marble mouth? How does that guy get work? Tons of other stupid comedies has the same tone as this movie and this is nothing new. I saw this on TV before and turned it off not far into it..Saw it again recently and figured "why not? I'm doing absolutely nothing", but Drowning Mona does suck
kenscheck
September 12, 2011
Hilarious dark comedy about a woman that was so vile in life that no one really cares when she dies...and everyone is a suspect when it is discovered she was murdered. DeVito leads a great ensemble cast. Middler is amazing as the awful Mona Dearly. Plenty of funny scenes and memorable moments. If you enjoy dark comedy, this is a good one to check out.
May 19, 2010
A dark comedy about the death of a woman everyone hates. I had low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised.
May 10, 2008
Entertaining... but there's still the issue that Bobby did try to kill someone. It would've been better if they would have uncovered he missed the brake fluid or something. It's amazing that they were able to get enough running Yugos for the movie. Perhaps they had to use special effects. (Note for idea for movie... The Italian Job but with Yugos...)
August 2, 2009
It's pretty funny. Did you know that they actors added their own lines to make the movie better. O yeah and I like the line
"Life gives you potatoes, make potato salad"
"Well, I've been given a whole bag of %$#@, what am I suppose to make ourt of that?"
Mindlessly, "Shit salad?"
THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!!
June 2, 2009
Maybe I just like Dark Comedies who happen to also have Paul Ben-Victor in them. But this movie is freaking hilarious.
April 15, 2009
Using my highly scientific method, I conclude this movie is 51.5% stupid, 43.6% boring, and 5.9 % funny.
November 2, 2008
Despite some amusing moments and a well-known cast, the plot got old pretty fast. And the wrap-up was just lame.
eluberzachokafka
September 11, 2008
This is a funny movie about how the towns pain in the neck Mona Dearly misteriosly dies and the idea lead to murder. So the whole town wants to know how to thank and that they don't even care about Mona. It is a movie with funny causes worth checking out.
moviezgirl
August 6, 2008
This is a funny and completely ridiculous movie. I wouldn't say that it's a film that you should go out of your way to find, but if you happen upon it while flipping channels (like I did) then it's worth a watch.