Drum Beat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drum Beat Reviews

September 2, 2014
Tuesday, September 2, 2014

(1954) Drum Beat

Written and directed by Delmer Daves providing a serious look on the peace treaty between the Yankees representing the settlers and Kintpuash(Charles Bronson representing his tribe of Native Americans. Johnny MacKay (Alan Ladd) is appointed to do the job with Kintpuash making things difficult since he prefers to solve conflicts by using violent means. Not very enjoyable western Americana.

2 out of 4 stars
December 14, 2011
I'm not afraid of brass buttons or bullets.

In 1872 the west is still being modernized and settled. Most of the Indians have left the plains and settled on reservations; however, some tribes have decided reservation life is not for them. When they start killing settlers, the US government and non-hostile Indians both seek a peaceful resolution. President Grant sends John McKay to negotiate with the upset Indians, the non-violent Indians, and the local plainsman.

"At least they didn't shoot."
"Maybe the shooting comes next."

Delmer Daves, director of 3:10 to Yuma, The Hanging Tree, A Summer Place, Broken Arrow (1950), Dark Passage, and Never Let me Go, delivers Drum Beat. The storyline for this picture is fairly standard for the genre but delivers excellent characters and a remarkable script. I loved the performances in this picture, specifically, the performance delivered by Charles Bronson.

"I surely ain't going without a gun in my britches."

We continue to DVR Charles Bronson pictures and I always find him entertaining and uniquely funny. He plays the antagonist that is both ruthless and unforgiving but he also has a sense of entitlement and humor. If you are a fan of westerns and this era of acting, you should give this picture a shot.

"You're a tyrant. All take and no give."

Grade: B