Dudley Do-Right Reviews

Movie Monster
May 4, 2011
Brendan Fraser is a living cartoon character. In every film I've seen him in, he has zany characteristics and gives cheesy smiles at the camera. Even in "The Mummy", I feel like I'm watching an action-packed cartoon series. Universal tried to cash in on the success of Disney's "George of the Jungle" adaption with Brendan Fraser by putting him in a theatrical adaption of another Jay Ward (creator of "George of the Jungle") toon, "Dudley Do-Right".

The film felt like a quest to find a plot! The film is about a clumsy mountie named Dudley Do-Right (because he's always doing right!) who must stop his long time nemesis, Snidley Whiplash, from taking over Semi-Happy Valley. The rest is just a whole bunch of plot threads who were abused by hardly being developed.

Fraser is doing what he does best: acting weirdly. So I consider him to be the best actor in the film. Alfred Molina speaks in a annoying cartoonish voice. It worked sometimes at got out of hand for the remainder. Sarah Jessica Parker was acting terribly. She looked like the thought, "I'm getting paid for this, right?", ran through her head throughout her screen time. Supporting cast: LAME! Not even Eric Idle helped.

The humor is so flat! Eric Idle was not funny and so was Alfred Molina. Not even the "Pokemon" reference helped! When I did find something amusing, I replied with dry chcukles. I just wonder how much they paid the writer, Hugh Wilson. The other stupid thing was the opening credits. The titles, "Written by Hugh Wilson" and "Directed by Hugh Wilson", are seperate. Were they just too lazy to put "Written for the screen and directed by Hugh Wilson"? Laziness, people! Laziness! The film was even unsure of itself. It felt and anachronistic and bored of itself. The film was just lazy. It was flat, lazy, and supplied very little to children. Low on slapstick. What a shame. "Dudley Do-Right" is a do-wrong. The "George of the Jungle" movie was more butch and that live-action "Flintstones" movie had more dignity than this. Come on, Hollywood! Come on!
½ March 5, 2007
Awful.
garyX
January 4, 2007
What starts off as a clunky live action cartoon movie in the same broad (and largely awful) vein as The Flintstones, it takes a particularly surreal turn half way through and actually becomes reasonably watchable. Very odd...
½ May 28, 2011
full of zany family fun that will satisfy you and a family next you. B+
½ January 18, 2008
Super funny, loved it since I was a little girl.
½ February 23, 2008
sucked ass
September 5, 2011
Dudley Do-Right is very similar to the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. It is very simple and very charming and very similar to the very cartoon it is based on...and to me that makes it very fun for me, a fan of the Rocky and Bullwinkle and Dudley Do-Right cartoons. Many pan it but I don't really care for what everyone has to say. That said I sort of wish Brendon Fraser was doing the old Dudley voice, but that is a minor gripe. Alfred Molina is fantastic as Snidely.
May 21, 2011
This is one of those movies that I didn't like and I didn't hate. There were some funny scenes but this film won't stand out very far in my memory. Brendan Fraser fans will get more out of it than casual watchers. One of those examples of writers going way off to put together a story where only simple mythology exists from the source (ex: Rocky and Bullwinkle)
½ July 2, 2009
It is a live action acting like a cartoon, but not in an entertaining george of the jungle sort of way.
½ January 14, 2009
Brendan Fraiser is one of the worst actors in hollywood he is never in a good movie and he looks like he has down syndrome or something ewww
January 28, 2008
I don't like Brendan Fraser. Why? Watch this, George of the Jungle, and the last two mummy movies and you will know why I would hope.
½ June 7, 2008
Was not Brendan's best film. It was just overly silly and dumb. He is still an awesome actor, this was not the best kind of movie for him.
½ January 4, 2008
My mother was a fan of the cartoon back when she was a kid, so we went to see the flick (this was back when George of the Jungle made kids' days). Not really worth the rental fee, however.
September 23, 2007
I use to watch this movie all the time i havent seen it in like 10 years but whe ni did see it i would give it a 4 star
July 25, 2007
Brendan Fraser is not known for starring in movies that are interesting or even remotely complex (except School Ties) so it was no surprise for him to be in this movie. The story line was utterly pointless as was this entire film. I only recommend seeing this is it if free, because I wouldnt waste a cent on it.
½ April 17, 2007
Brendan Frasier was good in Geroge of The Jungle. But he was neither believeable nor funny in this movie.

The Dudley Do-Right of Rocky and Bullwinkle fame was first and foremost a blonde. Director Hugh Wilson should ahve looked to Owen Wilson before giving thechance to Fraser.

Second, SNidley Whiplash, too was unbelieveable. This, again, perhaps goes back to the fault of director Hugh Wilson. Wilson allowed the movie to be entirely modernized rather than made as if it were taking pace in the late 1800's.

The only upside to this movie was the annoucner. t least that role followed the role of the announcer in the original cartoon. Besides his role, the rest of the movie was a complete failture.
March 31, 2007
Awesome movie. Very funny, and makes me think of Monty Python and The Holy Grail. You should see this movie if you like the series or comedies.
March 24, 2007
Haa... Ha.... Awesome.... Awesome... Great version of the original show on Rocky and Bullwinkle. Man, it's funny.
½ November 20, 2006
Brendan Fraser's second attempt as a cartoon character following George of the Jungle, sucked ass. Sarah Jessica Parker was just annoying here. Absolutely nothing worth seeing more than once.
August 22, 2006
Brendan Fraser dances yet another (cute) swing number in a movie ... That was the best part of this movie.