—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Yi boh laai beng duk (Ebola Syndrome) Reviews

November 12, 2010
I have MUCH STRONGER opinions for this (and Dr. Lamb) than i did maybe 15 years ago. But i can't lie it's sick, twisted, wrong, but all out One can't say they didn't enjoy it.
And it makes the perfect Halloween film...

Ah Kai is a wanted convict from China who escapes to South Africa after killing his former boss. He works at a Chinese restaurant and one day travels with his boss to a South African tribe that is infected with the Ebola virus. Kai sees a dying infected tribe member and rapes her, contracting the virus. Kai, however, is immune to the infection.

It's a Funny film with none stop violence and pretty much an Asian remake of Outbreak... Mostly the scene's in Hong Kong mimic the film.

Overall very well acted but directed and it is a must see for horror fans.
Cassandra M

June 11, 2009
Review coming soon
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

February 7, 2008
Insane, twisted, sick, gross, outrageous, perverted, racist, vile, mysoginist, vulgar, offensive, low, demented, crude, evil in it's purest form.

And yet.......i loved every minute of it. I guess i'm going to hell for this.
Patrick D

May 13, 2008
Really a rather horrible experience for the most part with little value, other than to show the character in deplorable acts and to push the envelope. An envelope filled with terrible actions, and little redeeming value.
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? It's up to you?
I'm a huge horror fan, and a fan of any film that tries to break through borders, and I have definitely seen films that have show worse things, yet this film seemed to have nothing behind it, only situations created to further disgust the viewer, which done right can be great, yet this film was missing something.
Even with all this is manages to get pretty dull, but picks up at the end to deliver an amazing final 20 or so minutes that make this film worth watching. Unfortunately, the amazing finally does not raise the rest of the film to decency.
I would say this should only be watched as a CAT III curio, and nothing more. If you don't know what CAT III is, you probably won't be interested in this ordeal.
Christopher B

November 3, 2007
Finally, a Cat III film for the whole family. While watching this (the great Discotek DVD release) I remembered that I thought of this as more of a real bad taste comedy than a terrifying, offensive horror film. Wong is outrageous as the utter scumbag Kai and Herman Yau does a great job on keeping the sleaziness on screen. For example, nothing's happened for a while? Have the cab Anthony Wong is in run over a mouse. There, all better.
Amazing, and one of the best Cat III shockers. I AM EBOLA!
October 14, 2013
If you liked Untold Story you'll love this one. Both directed by Herman Yau and starring Anthony Wong - who apparently played in a metal band at some point. Gross-out humor in this gory story of a Hong Kong killer fled to South Africa who contracts Ebola whilst raping a dead little African girl and then spreads it back to Hong Kong.
RicC
June 11, 2009
I remember searching for sick and controversial movies and this one popped up. I thought I would never be able to see it what with the cheap and tacky cover, but when I finally obtained it, I LOOOOOVED it.

Twisted movie, with relentless insanity. Anthony Wong goes bananas and his character I want to marry. Great premise, opening and ending.
June 10, 2009
An interesting experience as we see the entire film through the eyes of Anthony Wong's Kai character, who is a completely reprehensible asshole, a murderer and a rapist who at first doesn't even know that he's infected and spreading this disease, then seems to revel in it.

Gooey, splattery effects go for the gross out most of the time, but overall it's just a grimy feeling that you get watching this unpleasant guy go about his life.

Worth a rental for fans of the more extreme side of things.
TurkishStain
March 10, 2009
Anthony Wong is underrated as hell, he can play straight and he can play one of the sleaziest characters in film history. You can basically smell him through the television. His character running through the streets screaming EBOLA EBOLA is absolutely hilarious like the rest of the movie.
January 15, 2013
Oh so bad, yet hilariously clumsy and depraved.
Cash
November 25, 2012
From the sadists who brought you "The Untold Story" (1993), "Raped by an Angel" (1993), and "Legendary Couple" (1995) -- that in and of itself should have spelled the permanent grounding of the sun -- "Ebola Syndrome" somehow manages to ratchet-up its predecessors' depravity quotient to the point most of us pray the twain shall never meet again. Yet as indefensible as Chau Ting's script is admittedly this is a somewhat entertaining exercise in so-called shocksploitation that owes its best moments to unintentional humor with over-the-top performances and shoddy artisanship often working in unison to undercut the film's otherwise off-color disposition.
November 23, 2012
This movie is cracked out. Anyone who loves over the top asian films needs to see this one
October 25, 2012
One of the funniest and most horrific horror comedies I've ever seen. Truly a must see.

November 12, 2010
And it makes the perfect Halloween film...

Overall very well acted but directed and it is a must see for horror fans.
Paddy
October 29, 2009
An oddity. Gruesome, and at times bizarre, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it.
M Sarki
November 14, 2004
Bad. Don't waste your time. Anthony proves he will do anything. Terrible movie. Herman is my now least-favorite Asian director.