Echelon Conspiracy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Echelon Conspiracy Reviews

February 9, 2009
I actually like this movie more than the similar plotted Eagle Eye. The acting was much better. In general a world setting is more believable than an U.S. only setting like in Eagle Eye and more interesting. The threat was more believable also. I am gay and will say Tamara Feldman was HOT in her role and kept my attention much more so that the Eagle Eye "heroin"!
jjnxn
½ May 4, 2009
What starts as an intriguing thriller quickly devolves into just another movie where suddenly everybody is some sort of covert spy and things blow up. That's okay but if you're looking for anything the least bit original look elsewhere.
October 8, 2009
crap, stick to eagle eye
February 24, 2009
For the first 40 minutes, I was mesmerized by this film. The beginning was as thrilling and intriguing as any film I'd seen all year, but after that, the big secret is revealed and it became almost a shot for shot remake of Eagle Eye. It was seriously ridiculous how the two stories became almost exactly alike. Realizing this, the writers decided to throw in a big twist at the end, that might have saved the film had it made even a single bit of sense. Echelon Conspiracy begins with computer programer, Max Petersen (Shane West), anonymously receiving a brand new, state of the art, cell phone in the mail. The phone gives him instructions which lead to him winning a lot of money. Everything is going great for Max, until he disobeys the phones wishes and the FBI shows up. Shane West was fantastic in this film, it really makes me wonder why he doesn't do more stuff like this. West seems to prefer romantic dramas, but is clearly missing his true calling. After seeing a performance like this, I'd easily put him at the top of the list for any major action film. West was paired in this film with Edward Burns who was terrific and Ving Rhames who was Ving Rhames. I say that, because sometimes he's the perfect fit for a role and other times, he couldn't be more out of place, a perfect example of which is his role in this film. As I said, this movie starts out great, but becomes exactly like Eagle Eye, I would venture to say that the two films are so much a like that the producers of Eagle Eye have a case for copyright infringement, it really was that close. Besides that, the film was a decent action film, with some nice performances. Had I not seen Eagle Eye, I may have thought more of this film, but as it stands, Echelon Conspiracy is just another low budget rip off of a semi-decent major motion picture and not much else.
½ February 20, 2009
I saw this...enjoyed it (but got alot of echoes of similarity to the movie :" Eagle Eye" with Shia LaBoeuf...) other than that it was an interesting portrayal into the viewing of letting a computer take over the United States. The victims? The American constituents...
January 12, 2010
Hmmm... de ja vu... can you say Eagle Eye??? Very similar to IRobot as well but still interesting.
whosinthenews
January 24, 2009
The plot of Echelon Conspiracy is strikingly familiar to my own life, except that the text messages offer to increase the size of my penis...and no one important is chasing me. Anyway, It's nice to see that "average guy being pursued by big brother in the 21st century" has remained such a lucrative genre. Keep the crap train a rollin', gentlemen.

Also, this film reminded me of one my favorite cinematic cliches, one which I call "Fay Intimidation"...
First, the English villain asks crony if he likes ______ (insert mundane activity). Crony shrugs timidly "uh, sure boss, I guess".
English villain then proceeds to tell a long, boring parable that ends with a veiled threat if the desired outcome is not met. Classic!
Frankly, anytime a man at a desk asks me if I like something I immediately start fearing for my life.
½ December 4, 2009
I really enjoyed this movie, the suspense was good and besides who doesn't like West, Burns or Rhames???!
FanadFilmsProduction
½ February 28, 2009
Ok, it is watchable. Barely. It is movie making by the numbers. Ed Burns, well, damn, is he a really MEDIOCRE actor. OMG, he is just a SAG Card.
½ December 23, 2012
Interesting, reminds me a lot of Eagle Eye. Pretty entertaining, but my two problems with this are with the way it is filmed, and paced (to some extent). During a lot of the action sequences, there's a lot of annoying jerky camera movements. Plus there's a couple of action scenes that are really unnecessary to the film, especially this boring 10 minute car chase in the middle. Aside from that it's a fun film to watch.
August 30, 2009
The movie keeps you watching. But it is a poor version of eagle eyes. The ending on how they stopped echelon was awful.
May 13, 2012
Was actually pretty good. Yeah it was a bit similar to Eagle Eye, but I wouldn't exactly call them the same movie, still worth seeing both. It didn't feel to me like I was watching the same thing over again.
December 3, 2011
I didn't think it was taking itself all that seriously (Ving Rhames sucking at sudoku and screaming "Fun, my ass!") I was genuinely, pleasantly amused for a while, but it really does fall apart. Mountains in Omaha? Fail.
June 8, 2011
Fun movie. Anything with Martin Sheen is enjoyable. Sure, the plot leaves a few questions unanswered (primarily: why would you believe a phone?), but the movie moves quickly, production/cinematography value is strong, and the suspense is palpable.
terris85017
October 10, 2010
(2009 Director: Greg Marcks) Surprisingly interesting mystery with mystery beginning from the ground up. [more review to follow]
February 9, 2009
Was actually pretty good, not sure what's up with all the bad reviews (0% from the critics, really?) Yeah it was a bit similar to Eagle Eye, but I wouldn't exactly call them the same movie, still worth seeing both. It didn't feel to me like I was watching the same thing over again.
½ February 25, 2009
Follows the story line of a few other movies i have seen in the past but very well done. Good enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.
November 7, 2009
The only thing that could have really made this movie better would be if it was a little more focused on technology. But yet in a way it was at least realistic instead of filled with all kinds of rediculously over-dramatized and over-hyped gadgets.
January 30, 2009
Just as ba- nix that. Worse than Eagle Eye. No action, no storyline, no audience engagement, it was awful.