Eden Log - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Eden Log Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 12, 2009
I pretty enjoyed this Piece.
thefog1331
½ March 11, 2009
With a bigger budget and a more coherent plot this could've been a five star film but as it stands its still a well done bleak sci-fi thriller from France.
½ May 28, 2009
Nope. Didn't care for this one. It was way too dark. And by dark I mean I couldn't see anything. I was getting lost in trying to figure out what I was supposed to be seeing on the screen and then I started getting lost in what the heck was supposed to be the point of the movie. We don't even get told whats going on until the end and even that seems like the writer covering his butt for a confusing script.
Not good. Don't waste anytime on this one.
½ March 19, 2009
Like other French Sci-Fi movies such as Dante 01 and Chrysalis this is all about the atmosphere. Dark, brooding, impressive designs. It's like a concept artists sketchbook just exploded on screen. Unfortunately this results in a story that is lacking in terms of originality. It fails to really absorb, apart from the beginning where confusion acts as entertainment. The pacing is also nothing to be envied. A guy just walks around for the first 30 minutes, before some plot and action seeps through. It was certainly an interesting visual watch, but by the end I didn't seem to care about the outcome. Give these visuals to a master storyteller and then we're on to a winner. Which is why Giger's Alien creation still haunts ones nightmares, after Scott knew how to handle the parts.
November 3, 2008
first screening: half awake, but still loved it
skactopus
January 16, 2008
Eden Log has a low budget and a relatively newcomer for a director by the name of Franck Vestiel. This movie has a great official website and it is a great watch.This French science fiction film is really something. If you thrown in some zombies, this is how Resident Evil SHOULD have been. The story is creative and it is told in a, for a lack of a better word, creative way.The atmosphere is dark and lacking in color, but that enhances this film even more and it helps to show the great lighting. Not only is the setting dark, but you are kept in the dark with the story as well. You literally follow the journey of the main character, who wakes up at the bottom of a cave with no memory, as he makes his way through a maze of a laboratory. Whenever he learns something, you learn it with him.Yes, the plot will seem flat for most of the movie because you don't really know what is going on, but the ending will explain most things. Besides, the camerawork and the visuals are nicely done. The mutant creatures look good and the digitized voice work from the computer systems are fantastic. Even the background music is spot on.There isn't much to say about the acting since the dialogue is at a minimum. For the most part there is only one major character for the first half of this 1 hour 40 minute film and two in the second half. Still, this is far from boring.To be honest, this film may not be for everyone, but I think a good portion of people will appreciate the consistency and writing of this picture.Oh yeah, there are two spoken versions of this film. French and English. They are not dubs either. The scenes where the language is visible from the character's mouths are shot twice, one for each language. This isn't a whole lot since the rest of the dialogue comes from people behind masks or recordings from speakers.
Francisco G.
½ September 11, 2011
Superbly shot, intriguing premise told by a sort of videogame aesthetic with the protagonist going to the next level where new dangers await, great concept, very original and fit soundtrack and a jaw dropping emotional ending that no one sees it coming (makes me want to see more of it).
Unfortunently it has some big drawbacks... the acting is overall atrocious (though, fortunently there aren't many dialogues), some scenes are a bit too long and add nothing to the story and some sound design on the creatures is repetitive and imediatly recognizable from any given sound library.
August 2, 2009
I had such high hopes for this, but was bitterly disappointed. In short: all atmosphere, and no story at all.
June 27, 2009
Silly French sci-fi gubbins about a man who wakes up in the dark and spends the next 90 minutes crawling around in the dark trying to find out what's going on only to be eaten by a giant tree at the end. I get the religious metaphors, but there's so much pretentiousness in this film, and the director is clearly trying to be the next Gilliam/Caro. I mean, the main character has this torch thing on his shoulder, but the light shines on his face - completely fucking pointless, much like this film.
kylemydude
May 19, 2009
This movie is an intense experience. You literally feel like you are in a maze with the main character, the cinematography, very dim lighting and coloring, clostrophobic feel, and lack of dialog really make this film look and feel great. But alltogether it is not a great movie, it lacks a good story. If it had a better and more well thought-out story my rating would be even higher. This movie will not appeal to everyone, but if you are in the mood for something different give this a try. Watch the film in it's original French, not English.
May 26, 2012
Skip this.

Second worse movie I have ever watched, bleak is an understatement. If you can make it through the tediously boring and dragged out beginning and middle, you will surely hate yourself for watching the ending.

This film is not Visually stunning...It does not fill the bill....and is far from being a treat.
½ April 13, 2012
Impenetrably dull stamp through a colorlessly oily world. I cant say i really understood the characters or the movies motivation. I applaud the work and skill that went into it's creation but i have little to say about the story or its effect, it just did nothing for me and was instantly forgettable.
½ February 18, 2012
Although it makes good use of its special effects and cinematography, Eden Log ultimately fails to rise above its lack of cohesive plot and confused direction.
½ December 8, 2011
I didn't finish it, but what I did see is pretty much on the level of a mediocre sci-fi/horror video game, yet totally lacking personality or a sense of fun or any self-awareness. Some interesting murky visuals, but generally, eh. Don't think I'll be returning to it.
½ February 27, 2011
I really wanted to like this movie. But the director seemed to focus too much on atmosphere and not enough on little things like making sure the set was lit properly or the dialogue was unmuffled and understandable or that the plot actually made sense. It played like a rather crappy video game adaptation.
½ September 6, 2010
Actually an interesting science fiction horror film that makes you feel as if you are put in the protagonists shoes dealing with the mysteries of Eden Log. the look is great and the story is real good.
September 6, 2010
I really loved this one. It's like the plot of Pandorum with the look of Tetsuo the Iron Man. It's complete Cyber Punk. I really think I saw a very similar plot in an Outer Limits once. This one is about a man who wakes up with no memories. He slowly tries to piece together what has happened in this new foreign world. The people in this world have become mutants and are feeding on the survivors. The hero finds a young lady who helps him survive (yes, this is exactly like Pandorum, but it looks a lot different). The look of it is gritty and dark. It's dirty and has an almost black and while look to it, but you see glimpses of color at times. The style of this one was overwhelming. Yes, they probably could have done a bit better, made the plot a little more understandable. But this was pretty damn good.

As for the Plot: SPOILERS:

From IMDB: "Imagine that the tree is the tree of life and the tree of knowledge, it also represents the whole natural world itself by way of the Nordic myth of Yggdrasil. The society believes that it can harvest the tree, "exploit it", without any ill consequences. In other words, that we can use our knowledge, the resulting power structures of society and the natural environment around us without sacrificing anything in the process. However, by using the knowledge and power of the tree society is being affected by the tree itself, people are changing, the worldtree is exacting a cost for everything it gives. In response to these changes those in power have decided to keep the ill effects of the tree a secret, to exploit the workers as they had previously intended to exploit the tree. They cover up the mutations of the workers by sacrificing them to maintain the power of the tree, creating a closed loop that maintains the status quo. Through this method they believe they can control the tree without having it change their society, without facing the reality that their old way of life is over and they need to adapt to a new reality.

However, they are unable to keep control. The workers revolt, the mutations spread. Tolbiac, a guard sent to quell the worker revolts, turns out to be the first human compatible with the mutation process that the tree begins in everyone who stays in contact with it. He wakes nearly naked, cold and having forgotten who he is. Like a child having been born from the tree itself, or like someone going through a horrible mind-altering mutation and stuck in a low oxygen environment.

Instead of turning into a brute savage like the others, he becomes a hybrid, able to contain the powers of the tree and parts of his humanity. If the tree is life and knowledge, Tolbiac is the representation of what humanity must become, a child of divine power who is still human at the same time. However, in undergoing these changes Tolbiac finds this new primal side of his personality impossible to control at times. The rape scenes in red were what his animal side wanted; the nice kissing stuff was how his human side was interpreting what was going on -we're not sure which actually happened -and neither is Tolbiac I am guessing that by the fact that he seemed unaware of what happened, and the fact that Tolbiak seemed horrified.

You see, Inside the elavator, Tolbiac is overcome by primal urges for the first time, having flashbacks of his blackout with the Architect and realizes that he had killed him. In this state, he feels part of his humanity slip away in a roar, only to calm down. He then begins to act on the lust he feels for the botanist, first acting tenderly, then brutally as he makes sexual advances on her. When they finish, Tolbiac cannot work out if his mental flashes during sex that depicted rough sex with the botanist were not just in his head. Perhaps while they had started with mutual attraction, in his fugue state he assaulted her. Under control of himself again, Tolbiac weakly tries tell her that he was not himself, and she (reluctantly?) goes with him when the elevator breaks down."

"He left the woman because she was changing into one of the mutants. She returns below so she doesn't spread the virus.

The sap from the tree was supposedly an energy source being tapped by the Eden Log Corporation to provide power for the city. However, what Eden Log was actually doing was taking immigrants underground under the pretext of working in the refinery (this is why you had that "You will be offered full citizenship as a reward for your help" recording at the start of the movie) and using them to feed the tree by hanging them in those cages among the roots. Things started to go wrong when the tree begins to attack the genuine refinery workers and anyone venturing down into the lower levels begins to become mutated. Some of the scientists working on the project begin to rebel and the whole refinery descends into chaos.

At the end, the hero sacrifices himself by fusing with the tree and let it feed off him, which allows it to begin growing out of control and engulf the city. "

OR:

"b) when he is with the botanist and he riggs him to the tree - he reverses the process in the tree - the botanist says that the tree has always been sterile - i'm guessing if he can reverse he process he can eventually make the cycle reverse so much the tree will die - so at the end of the film when he jams the roots into himself - the tree regenerates and grows so much and then dies - as seen with the city lights going out.
½ July 29, 2010
Although its very confusing and puzzle like, Eden Log has a great main character and a better concept, more than half the fun is figuring out whats going on for your self, I loved the whole ride, and it would be a shame for anybody not to see it.
½ July 9, 2010
this movie really could have been alot better if they would have given the script to some imaginative 8th graders...I mean the movie was good but lacked a full ending. just my opinion. was a interesting take for a dark science fiction movie tho.
May 14, 2010
Didn't make quite much sense to me. Was hard to follow, interesting idea. But was really difficult to comprehend