• R, 1 hr. 39 min.

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Edge of Seventeen Reviews

Lauren D

October 12, 2009
I'm a huge fan of gay romance (no idea why, I can't stand straight romance), but I didn't particularly like it. The acting was fine, and there was awesome music (Yazoo, Bronski Beat etc = yay), but it was just boring.
Sunil J

October 6, 2009
I really thought I was gonna hate this movie but I actually thought it was pretty good. A lot of the criticisms I noticed has to do with stupid choices that the Eric character makes but maybe they don't remember what it's like to be 17. He's pretty much an innocent dork that gets caught up in what he believes to be love but is actually just sex. From there it's a lot of confusion for him. Maybe it's not groundbreaking but the acting was pretty good for a low-budget gay movie. B+
June 9, 2008
Nothing groundbreaking. The problem here is that the characters are so distasteful & one-dimentional, the viewer couldn't care less about them...
October 31, 2007
This film I would have to say is one of my favorites in the genre of queer cinema. It reminded me a lot about myself when I came out also at the age of seventeen. I grew up in the midwest and was the only openly gay guy at my school. I also worked at a theme park (Disney World) but at that time I was very comfortable with my sexuality. Coming to terms with being gay is hard thing to go through in life but I couldn't imagine how hard it was in the 80's. The music in this film is the best because duh it's from the 80's. My favorite character would have to be the manger lady and Maggie the best friend whom remind me of friends I have had in the past. If you haven't seen this film you should even if you are gay or straight and appreciate it for what its worth.
turtlechix7
August 17, 2007
if you dont like gay people dont watch it but if you look past the gayness of it... its a REALLY AWESOME MOVIE
forkincheek
August 5, 2007
While watching this movie, I couldn't help feeling sympathy for the Maggie character. I was very surprised. O.o But really, she puts herself out there so much, gets lead on and jerk around so many times, and in the end... *sigh* Poor thing. The actress that played her was very talented as well, if a little too quiet with her lines. And the rest of the movie--yes, also very good. But still! Poor Maggie!
birojeremy
July 24, 2007
This movie is alright. I like the fact that it really deals with issues of finding yourself and coming out, which everyone can relate to, gay or straight.
jtpoole99
March 20, 2007
If you live in a small town, you're young and just coming to terms of liking the same sex, this will help you out .
nanoqna
January 16, 2007
i saw it again the other day. i remember when i used to watch this a lnog time ago!u have to eralate to it about falling in love even if u end up 2gether o no!
May 4, 2014
A young gay guy comes to terms with his sexuality...all in the mid 80's.....loved it..great soundtrack and not one of those corny scripts to kill it on arrival....
February 27, 2014
It takes a little while for it to get going and to get into the characters, but Edge of Seventeen provides a surprisingly engaging tale of discovering and experimenting with one's own sexuality in the era of the AIDS epidemic, and it is more about the protagonist's own personal issues and feelings when identifying with himself rather than outside conflicts. It has a lot of focus, and the relatively unknown Chris Stafford really makes us feel frustrated with him. The 80's backdrop gives the film a great sense of identity as well, and evokes a sense of nostalgia. Despite the low production values, it actually adds to the nostalgia factor even more. Lea DeLaria gives a great performance as well.
January 5, 2013
I feel this is one of the most relatable coming out films I've seen.
April 18, 2012
amazing movie like its really what a 17 year old gay guy would go through
Spencer E.
December 29, 2011
Edge of Seventeen is a heart-felt film that deals honestly with the "coming-out" process that millions of teens have had to bear through the years. A shining example of how to emphatically deal with gay/lesbian issues without cheapening them the way other gay dramas have done before.
Ryan P.
September 25, 2011
This movie perfectly captured a more realistic coming out story. Unlike most gay dramas, were everything turns out perfect in the end, you see the truth behind what some people have to go through when coming out. Although the ending was abrupt and leaving questions unanswered, it was still an overall great movie.
Ethan Anarchy
August 2, 2011
Aside from it's abrupt ending and the stupid (yet natural) mistakes the protagonists have made, there isn't a lot of problem with this honest coming of age film. Honestly, I even feel bad for them.
April 1, 2011
Again, the synopsis reflects my life.
March 12, 2011
Unusual in that it doesn't get bogged down with AIDs or coming out or abuse...which is partly why I like it better than most other gay films.
jazza923