97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Edward Scissorhands Reviews

Louis R

August 3, 2012
Here is the purest and most eloquent expression of Tim Burton's reoccurring 'outsider' theme to date. I could do without the reflective framing device (mainly due to the frankly unsettling old version of Kim, both in terms of acting and make up), but the film succeeds hugely as a tender modern fairytale. Danny Elfman's heartbreaking score also deserves a special mention.
Market Man
Market Man

August 19, 2012
Brings many laughs and also touches the soul. The start of many great collaborations. Tim Burton's films are bizarre, yes, but they are full of heart (most of them, at least). I love the setting, with all the different colored houses full of weird neighbors. It's interesting to see Edward interact with everyone. A classic in its own right.
Joshua W

May 31, 2012
Remember when Tim Burton was original? Well this was one of the BEST films to come out of Burton's skull. Johnny Depp is a great actor and this was hands down one of his best characters. This film had heart, drama, and most importantly a PLOT!
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 28, 2012
Kim: You see, before he came down here, it never snowed. And afterwards, it did. If he weren't up there now... I don't think it would be snowing. Sometimes you can still catch me dancing in it.

"His scars run deep."

A film this bizarre can only be conceived from the mind of Tim Burton. The character he creates, Edward(an invention that wasn't finished and is left with scissors for hands), is original to a point, but it is still a character we have seen before. This is the Frankenstein, Pinocchio hybrid. Edward is a soft spoken young... whatever. He is kind as can be. He cuts the neighbors shrubs for them, and soon ends up cutting their pets hair and soon all of theirs. He's a character that easily could find a place in some twisted slasher, but throwing a character like him into a film like this is what makes Tim Burton so interesting.

Now, Edward Scissorhands is every bit the accomplishment I had heard it was. It's got all the Burton staples. It has times of humor and sadness, and is grounded in fantasy, but the characters seem like they are from our world(Well, other than Edward). Then there's the production value, which you always look for in a Burton film. Like usual, it's off the charts. The shrubbery is amazing, and the way he twists the real world and Edwards world together is also very cool. There's a great score from Danny Elfman, and a great performance from Johnny Depp; both of which are staples of a lot of Burton's films.

There are a lot of people out there that believe this is Burton's finest film. I don't believe that is true, but I can see where they are coming from. The film is really wonderful. It's fantastic storytelling, combined with amazing filmmaking. The result is another terrific film from Burton. I would put Ed Wood, Beetlejuice, and Batman above it, but you still can't go wrong with this one. It's a beloved classic that will be loved by new generations for a long time to come. One of a kind.
Sam B

January 27, 2012
Johnny Depp creates a truly captivating character in Tim Burton's social commentary about what a society of sameness does to uniqueness, which can simultaneously serve as a more honest "Beauty and the Beast"-type tale.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 2, 2011
Edward Scissorhands is another one of Tim Burton's purposely demented but beautiful creations. I had high expectations and most of them were met. It drags on for a while but its mostly entertaining with gothic but sweet overtones. It's not as smart and inspirational as i'd hoped it would be though considering what the film is about. I have strong suspicions it was made to deliberately deppress. But it does have strong stellar performances and deep development that cannot be without praise.
Sophie B

February 24, 2008
This was such a cute movie! It had great acting especially from Johnny and his characterisation was impecable! I really love the story as it's just so cute! awww I really love it it's just so cute!
Watched this for the second time a few years after the first and it still is one of the most amazing films I have ever seen! Depp is perfect as Edward and there is so much emotion in this film. Something I could watch over and over if it weren't for the fact that it was so sad what happened to him. The people who were supposed to be there to help him didn't do much for him in the end. A perfect film.
Eric A

September 24, 2011
After this ridiculously brilliant acting piece from Johnny Depp, it's no wonder that Tim Burton uses him in all of this crazy films. As only Tim Burton can do, Edward Scissorhands is unique in its own way and it just works.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Every single minute of this was wonderful, touching, and brilliant, and the ending was predictable but nevertheless emotional. As a whole, I really liked EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and I really think that this is one of Johnny Depp's very, very best roles of all-time.
Adam K

August 19, 2011
A pretty good fairytale re-working, classic predictable Burton, but actually a very good film. Quick paced storyline and screenplay with good acting by all the cast but especially by Depp, who plays the title character with great humour and wit although barely saying any lines. The direction is very interesting by Tim Burton, a very interesting set piece of the classic american neighbourhood and Edward's quick cutting skills. Not a family film with the unexpected shock ending, although Burton fans will be able to predict it. But all in all very good.
*** 3 Star
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 1, 2011
I understand everyone adores this film, maybe its just not for me. I didn't think the plot was amazing or new, it just seemed really creepy and dull, at least for me.. The cast was good for what it was, Depp is a good actor, its just that I wasn't really a fan of what they made him out to be. The music was very good, but I haven't seen a Burton film where the music wasn't a little good. How can people call this a comedy, it was one of the saddest and creepiest films ever, when watching it I had no idea people thought this was funny. I have only seen this once, for the sake of ewveryone I will watch it again, and I guess I can see why people hold this so high in regard, but maybe its not my thing.
Drake T

May 24, 2011
A visually/stylistically stunning fairytale told in a whimsical "modern" time. It's bizarre how all the elements of this film managed to come together so perfectly.

The purity and simplicity of the character archetypes manage to resonate with originality despite the story's formulaic telling. One of Tim Burton's best.
Lady D

August 2, 2006
Tim Burton's imagination works overtime when he creates a boy with Scissors as hands. Burton's message is clear from the beginning, comformity is boring in this "Stepford Wives meets Frankenstein's Monster" tale.

Everything a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaboration is expected to be, a dark fairytale type plot with characters crossing into light and dark worlds.
Dean !

December 30, 2006
Finally got round to seeing this a couple of weeks back. Another Burton & Depp outing as a dark, gothic, comedy/fantasy film. A sort of darker, funnier mix of beauty and the beast, meets Frankenstein. A bit weird but it has a great cast and some funny scenes. A good film worth checking out!
AJ V

September 6, 2010
Another fantastic movie from Tim Burton! The tale is both classic and completely new and refreshing. It's a fantasy movie, but it's also dramatic and humorous. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Kristijonas F

April 10, 2011
I remember watching this film in Lithuania when I was growing up, and even though the source-material and my life were worlds apart, the emotional connection was incredible. This is a very sweet, enchanting fairy tale with dark, mature overtones - and a magical experience nonetheless.
garyX
garyX

December 23, 2006
An Avon lady finds the unfinished work of an elderly inventor living alone in a deserted mansion and decides to take him in and teach him to "fit in". Edward Scissorhands was the film that saw Tim Burton perfect his trademark style, producing a sweet natured suburban fairytale that's a kind of gothic cross between Pinoccio and Frankenstein. Johnny Depp plays the innocent outsider in this representation of middle America that's all housecoats, barbecues and topiary decorated in a mish mash of kitsch retro styles and shot like a 50s knitting pattern catalogue. There is the usual assortment of familiar grotesques as Burton goes out of his way to show the absurdity of accepted "normality" and there are shades of The Idiot as poor naive Depp is used and then vilified by his hypocritical new friends. The highlights for me are definitely the flashbacks to his earlier life featuring Vincent Price but it is showing its age a little being very much a product of its time. It feels a little insubstantial as a result but its engaging cast, attractive visuals and gentle humour make for a charming little story.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 16, 2010
I remember this movie for its underlying cinematography rather than for the idisyncratic hero of the tale. There was always something so tragically haunting about the colour pallette in the movie that has always made it hard to forget. I think many people forget how good Johnny Depp is as an actor because they focus too much on how good looking he is as a man. I think he is one of the best actors in the history of cinema and this movie proves not only adaptable he is on film, it also proves that Winona Ryder actually could act at one point in her career, all be it a hell of a long time ago.
erika250
erika250

February 26, 2010
one of best horror films ever made.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 17, 2011
Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands is a classic. This is a well crafted film, and is one of the best films that Tim Burton has directed. The film is sad, touching and humourous. Edward Scissorhands is the type of film that makes you feel all types of emotion. The story is clever, and is unforgettable. After a mad scientist dies, his new creation is left unfinished with scissors for hands. He is discovered by an Avon sales lady named Peg Boggs. She welcomes him into her home, and discovers his name is Edward. Edward seems very shy, and scared, and he mostly is quiet. He slowly befriends the family and he takes a liking to Peggs daughter Kim Boggs, played Winona Ryder. Unfortunately for Edward, Kim has a jealous boyfriend who seeks out to harm Edward and goes out of his way to do so. The opinions of the neighbors are so-so, most don't mind him, but some some (Joyce, a gossiping neighbor) takes a liking to Edward and when Edward "attacks" her as she's coming in strong on him, she conjures up yet another story on how Edward is a threatening person. Tim Burton knows how to craft a terrific story, and Edward Scissorhands plays out like a fairy tale. A very good fairy tale at that. Edward Scissorhands is a memorable film experience and it's one of Tim Burton's very best films. Johnny Depp is excellent and the story will definitely appeal to the whole family.