El Mar

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

El Mar Reviews

RicC
June 25, 2009
Well, I thought the film was in Spanish at first, and I kept on thinking I was going crazy until I realized the Catalonians were doing their thing again and tricking me (Joder!). I finally input subtitles, and I didn't want to go back since I was lazy, so this reviewer has the beginning of this movie understood sort of blurry...

Agusti Villaronga's other film Tras el Cristal was highly controversial, dark, harrowing - basically my taste - so I thought I'd give this a go, and who wouldn't given the awesome cover? However, I was treated yet again to another war-tied story, and those sort of films usually bore me, reminding me of school. Nevertheless, it was quite a treat: constant deaths, forbidden love, sexual desire, religious mania, hetero- and homoflexibility!! Yeah - you can say that the story's an excuse for presenting violence while developing characters just to prepare that one scene where a guy is about to semi-rape another guy demanding, "I'm not going to leave until
I've cum all over your face."

Overall, a decent stab at presenting everything; an above average gay-themed film. The metaphors were uninteresting though, the story a bit in need of condensing, and the majority of the people will hate how it ends.
October 6, 2012
A violent & disturbing love story to say the least.